Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: iQ 2 Multidrive
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:08 pm 

Drives: iQ Multidrive
Hi everyone, :wave:

Havent been on the forum for a loong time but pop in now and again just out of interest. After the Aygo, purchased myself a BMW Mini and well after a complete engine removal (all new valves at 35,000 miles coming to a grand total of £3500), I had enough. I was debating another bug, but ended up with a Toyota iQ.

I know there are some who dislike the iQ saying its not as practical as the bug or as cheap and whilst I do totally agree , I love driving the iQ. Not just for its size, but also for its multidrive automatic which unlike the bugs semi auto is an absolute breeze. Its clever too and detects certain conditions (up hill) to detect what the most appropriate gearing should be. The interior plastics (for the price) are slightly scratchy and have picked up some scuffs every now and again.

The additional extras are great also (got ya auto wipers/ lights/ dimming mirror/ climate control), all make it so simple and easy! Even the washer fluid has a dipstick! (never seen that before).

It also seems a lot more refined, although slightly slower than the Aygo... can't have it all I suppose. :roll:

Got toyota to add the rear skirt and spoiler and think it really makes the car! Pics to follow.

Thats my little review over with.

What's your opinion of the iQ? I realise there will be a slight bias, but its got the same engine as the bug so thats something :)!

Josh

Post subject: Re: iQ 2 Multidrive
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:09 pm 
Tech Guru

Drives: 2014 C1 Air
If things had panned out a little differently employment wise, it was going to be my next purchase.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:48 pm 

Drives: Aygo
I like the iq it's a bit of a posh bug in my eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:00 pm 

Drives: 107 Urban Lite
I've nothin particularly against he iQ itself, I'm sply against paying more for less. For whatrheycost you can buy a full size car. As I'm sure you know the engine is a mildly altered derivative of te one in the bugs, slightly retuned with less torque to keep in sub 100 carbons. Great at the time, but phase III bugs achieve this while maintaining the same power and torque so it seems a bit of a cheat. Clever gearbox packaging though which I'm surprised we don't see more often on diddy cars.

Many cars have a washer fluid dipstick, including my 4007, though as its a translucent washer bottle and you can see the level without looking it seems a bit pointless.

No matter how plush the kit its still barely half a car, so why isn't it half the price? Well, that's obvious, its because Toyota want your dollar. If it were priced according to he amount of tin your getting it could be a runaway success, but a large sector of society put cachet over reality, hence such lifestyle cars being priced as a lifestyle accessory instead of as a means of transport.

One part of me despises such transient shallowness, while the other part is jealous that I didn't think of it myself!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:45 pm 

Drives: iQ Multidrive
Heres a pic!

They are over priced, I agree, but got a good trade in for the Mini from Toyota so decided to get one.

Lot of clever engineering in the iQ though to get 4 (well I say 4... well 3+1 diddy amputee) and seems to be able to handle motorway cruise better (quieter and more refined).

Never knew that about the phase III engines though. I'm surprised it wasn't incorporated when the iQ was updated in late 2011. They only seemed to update the interior.

I dont think it will ever sell in big numbers because, like you say, it is so unique but think thats gives the car character... perhaps a future classic???

Attachments:
photo-100974.jpg
photo-100974.jpg [ 24.54 KiB | Viewed 4602 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:21 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1
And to think Aston Martin take an iQ and put a badge on it and charge 43k for the same car!

Do like them but probably not that practical for me.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:34 pm 

Drives: 107 Urban Lite
I'm wondering if we should have a ' Close Cousins' forum of owners of models related to the bugs, like the iQ, Subaru Justy, Daihatsu Sirion etc, all of whom have a lot mechanically in common with us.