Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:04 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:39 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
JackSpratt wrote:
SlackGarry wrote:
Bunkey
By pushing the piston out on the caliper and not noticing, Could you have the pushed the seals in the master cylinder the wrong way round. Thus not letting piston go back as the fluid has nowhere to go.

if that's the case to prove its not a fluid problem, Open up the bleed nipple and see if it goes in ok.

Just a thought

Tried that, opened the nipple and it didn't change anything. Not much came out of the nipple at all.

To confuse matters more, the pedal still feels stiff. I would have thought that, as the system has lost some fluid in that area, it would become more spongy! Or as I wrong?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:58 pm 

Drives: C1
Hows it coming on Bunkey ?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:46 pm 

Drives: 2011 107
SlackGarry wrote:
Hows it coming on Bunkey ?

Great thanks! The engine's good, I'm overdue a closing update to the cylinder head rebuild thread but in summary I had it MOT'd a couple of months ago and I've done a few thousand miles since then without issue really.
It's breathing a bit better than the ecu can account for so it runs lean and we had to play with the vacuum hoses to get it through emissions - but I should be able to get it remapped to account for the head work and it'll come good. On a hot day when the air is thin it's pretty rapid!

Played with a few other bits since then too, see below..

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:05 pm 

Today I removed the second lambda sensor from the exhaust downpipe and replaced it with a blanking plug (M18 x 1.5 thread).

If you're looking to improve exhaust flow, for the sake of £4 and 20mins work I think this is one of the best improvements you can make...

Whilst poking around during the engine rebuild I identified this sensor as the single most restrictive part of the entire exhaust system.

The lambda probe is pretty huge relative to the tiny pipe diameter and sticks right into the middle of the pipe, further reducing the exhaust's effective diameter & causing an obstruction immediately after the gas coming from the manifold turns to enter the downpipe.

Where the first lambda probe is integral to engine operation in measuring the oxygen content of the exhaust gas to determine the ratio of fuel to be fed into the engine; this second sensor simply compares the exhaust gas composition against the first reading to determine whether the catalytic converter is doing it's job and indicates an engine issue via the check engine light if it doesn't like what it sees. It's just a warning light and has no effect on how the engine runs.

If you've been following the work I did to the cylinder head you'll know I've already removed the catalytic element from the manifold as well as improve gasflow through the inlet, cylinder head and exhaust manifold ports; derestricting the exhaust downpipe has consolodated the benefit of this work.
Removing the obstruction caused by the lambda sensor has made a noticeable improvement to engine power & response; it just feels less restricted through the entire range but especially at the top end. It's smoother too as the pressure waves aren't being deflected by anything in the pipe and that's also apparent in the sound coming out the back end. I'm getting some solid pops when coming off throttle which is thoroughly entertaining :thumbs:

As long as you don't mind the dashboard throwing up a check engine light I think this is pound for pound the best improvement you can make to the standard exhaust system.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:46 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Bunkey wrote:
As long as you don't mind the dashboard throwing up a check engine light

If the Check Engine light doesn't go out then in the UK according to the MOT Guidelines Section 8.2.2.2 defect (g) this would be a Major fail - so this might be suitable for Race use but not for Fast Road use.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 pm 

Nice one Bunkey, Interesting read. Whats next for the car ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:19 pm 

PetrolDave wrote:
Bunkey wrote:
As long as you don't mind the dashboard throwing up a check engine light

If the Check Engine light doesn't go out then in the UK according to the MOT Guidelines Section 8.2.2.2 defect (g) this would be a Major fail - so this might be suitable for Race use but not for Fast Road use.

Gawsh imagine having to pass one of those every day...

I do hope my antics don't offend your palette too much Petrol Dave, else I'm going to have to start throwing disclaimers up too!

:lol: :wave:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 pm 

SlackGarry wrote:
Whats next for the car ?

Well further downstream the standard silencer relies partly on reflective absorbtion featuring 2 disconnected tubes & numerous chambers, which is terrible for efficient gasflow, so that's gonna have to change.

In the meantime I've been doing some housekeeping...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:24 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Bunkey wrote:
I do hope my antics don't offend your palette too much Petrol Dave, else I'm going to have to start throwing disclaimers up too!

Bunkey - I LOVE what you're doing, hope you continue the sterling efforts and admire your tenacity - but thought it worth pointing out (mainly to others who might be tempted to follow you removing the O2 sensor) that it wouldn't then be road legal.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:15 pm 

Bunkey, You got me thinking could you put a larger diameter pipe after the manifold to improve flow. Then you should have no Engine light.

Last edited by SlackGarry on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next