Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:34 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
So, I took out the 2 way door speakers that I only put in a couple of weeks or so ago and replaced them with component woofers and also replaced the stock tweeters in the dash with the tweeters that go with the woofers complete with their own crossovers.

It took me a while to work out how things were wired up and I'm not sure that I have it right. The speakers themselves came with a very simple wiring loom which, if I was wiring them in from scratch, it would have been a doddle. However, I ended up keeping some of the stock wiring and the colours of the wires simply weren't what I expected. The reason that I kept some of the original wiring is because after far too long trying to thread wires through the rubber duct thingy that carries wires into the doors and making almost no progress, and with light starting to fade (curse you Autumn), I decided to use the wires that were already going in to the doors, and that's when I started getting confused.

Here's what I found:

Drivers side:
The wires coming out of the head unit are green and blue. These seem to be the main feed for the front, right sound. The wires get to the stock tweeter in the dash where there is a 4 pin connector. The other two wires are red and white and these seem to feed the door speakers. Wiring things up to test them certainly seems to back this up. If I attach a speaker to the dash end of the blue and green wires, I get sound. If, instead, I attach the green/blue wires in the dash to the red/white ones, the door speaker starts making sounds. My confusion comes from the fact that when I pop the door cards off, the wires going in to the speaker are blue and green, not red and white. My guess is that there is a connector somewhere and the red/white wires go in but green/blue ones come out. However, I can't see where it is.

Passenger side:
The setup seems basically the same but with different colours. A pink and a purple wire leave the back of the HU and arrive in the dash at the back of the tweeters. Again there is a 4 pin plug and the two extra wires are black and brown. Again, test wirings seem to confirm that the pink/purple wires are the main sound feed from the HU arriving at the tweeter and that the black/brown wires supply the door. However, looking inside the door, the speaker has pink and purple wires going to it. Again, I suspect a connector somewhere changing the wire colours.

I have wired everything up to the best of my ability and it all seems to be working. The woofers and tweeters all make sounds and the combination is much better than what I had before (which was a 2 (or maybe 3) way speaker in the door and the stock tweeters in the dash). However, I just want to check the following with anyone who knows.

So, here's what I'm actually asking:

Am I correct in saying that:
On the drivers side, green/blue wires go from the HU to the dash and then red/white wires go to the door (even if they then become green/blue at some point again).

On the passenger side, pink/purple wires go from the HU to the dash and then black/brown wires go to the door (even if they then become pink/purple at some point again). :?:

And for a bonus question, can anyone tell me which wires are supposed to go to the -ve side of the speakers and which to the +ve? I think I'm OK with the blue/green and pink/purple ones but the white/red black/brown have just been wired up by trial and error.

Like I said, it all seems to be working but I just want to make sure.

Thanks very much for any help offered. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:52 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
Finally found a diagram for this weird wiring.

It's good to know that in our car the 4 wires connect to the tweeter via a connector, so there are not 2 wires to the tweeter (well internally probably).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:17 pm 

Quick question before i'm going to buy stuff:

Do you need a FAKRA-DIN antenna adapter with or without the blue (power) cable?

I see adapters with the blue wire:
https://www.amazon.de/tomzz-Audio-7008- ... merReviews

And without;
https://www.amazon.de/Autoradio-Antenne ... ot+107+din

The latest is for 107/C1/Aygo, but will it suffice?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:41 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
Normally without, as the aerials on the bugs are non powered. (unless you are changing the aerial to a powered one, then you'd need one with the blue cable).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT27AA136-Universal-DAB-DAB-SMB-Aerial-Antenna-DAB-Splitter-for-In-/183667849741?hash=item2ac374fa0d

That's the one I got (though I needed the am/fm to DAB splitter as my new radio had DAB and wasn't wanting to use the included window attached DAB aerial). I just left the blue cable disconnected.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:10 pm 

PirateTimelord wrote:
Normally without, as the aerials on the bugs are non powered. (unless you are changing the aerial to a powered one, then you'd need one with the blue cable).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Connects2-CT27AA136-Universal-DAB-DAB-SMB-Aerial-Antenna-DAB-Splitter-for-In-/183667849741?hash=item2ac374fa0d

That's the one I got (though I needed the am/fm to DAB splitter as my new radio had DAB and wasn't wanting to use the included window attached DAB aerial). I just left the blue cable disconnected.

Thanks mate, exactly what I needed to know.

I'm not going to change the aerial. But... your suggestion sounds interesting. I'm indeed going to fit a Pioneer with DAB+ and it will come with a window attached aerial, which doesn't really make me happy.

But am I understanding correctly that you are using the factory fitted aerial, and just plug in the antenna cable to the splitter, and voila, you have DAB+ reception via the standard aerial? That sounds awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:40 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
NoscopeDog wrote:
But am I understanding correctly that you are using the factory fitted aerial, and just plug in the antenna cable to the splitter, and voila, you have DAB+ reception via the standard aerial? That sounds awesome.

That's what I've done too and it works really well.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm 

NoscopeDog wrote:
PirateTimelord wrote:

I'm not going to change the aerial. But... your suggestion sounds interesting. I'm indeed going to fit a Pioneer with DAB+ and it will come with a window attached aerial, which doesn't really make me happy.

Exactly.

Tbh since I did it i get hit/miss FM signal but great DAB+ signal using the original car aerial. (But as I didn't really use the radio much before fitting the aftermarket headunit can't give a proper comparison). But yeah the splitter I linked works fine for DAB+

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 pm 

PirateTimelord wrote:
NoscopeDog wrote:
PirateTimelord wrote:

Exactly.

Tbh since I did it i get hit/miss FM signal but great DAB+ signal using the original car aerial. (But as I didn't really use the radio much before fitting the aftermarket headunit can't give a proper comparison). But yeah the splitter I linked works fine for DAB+

Great! Thanks man. This really helps me a lot.

I think I'll go this route too! But I still need a adapter for this I think? A FAKRA-DIN i suppose

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:14 pm 

Yes indeed. Just the Fakra-din adaptor (I got one with the facia and harness adaptor I bought on ebay)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:06 am 

PirateTimelord wrote:
Yes indeed. Just the Fakra-din adaptor (I got one with the facia and harness adaptor I bought on ebay)

Thanks. You've been a great help.

I'll order my stuff and hope I'll receive it soon so I can start installing my new HU (and Sub :D)