Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Inherited Aygo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:19 pm 

Drives: '09 Toyota Aygo Blue
Hi :)

I have recently been handed down my father's aygo (he's quit driving, not dead yet!)

2009 facelift Blue, 120k but one owner with the kind of service history which you dream about. Every single receipt since new, every advisory immediately corrected. Really drives like a new car (my '04 Corolla managed 160k but everything knocked due to previous owner's neglect. A shame because it was also a one-owner job for the first ten years of it's life. You can really trash a car by ignoring servicing. That said, after standing for three years it started first time and drove onto a trailer with only a battery charge.

Parents bought the Aygo and a Yaris under the old scrappage scheme. Both cars now eleven years old, well over 100k and (knock wood) are yet to go wrong outside of service stuff.

Yes, compared to past cars (I'm mid forties and have had a number of higher end vehicles in the past) it's a bit different but darn if it isn't fun. I always liked driving the Aygo despite mocking it as a clown car for many years! I fell on hard times a few years ago and this is the first car I've had in some time.

I'm getting on now and don't care about getting anywhere quickly although the Aygo is remarkably nippy (up to anout 40mph where the lack of torque is palpable) and decent round the bends with a wheel on each corner. Body roll is dreadful and it's downright scary when a gust of wind hits such a light car but easy enough to adjust.

Not driving for a while has changed my perspective on what matters in a car. The Aygo uses literally half the fuel my old car did, tax is negligible and I don't tend to use it for unnecessary travel. I care about the environment and an already existant tiny car is the best I can do. Between the Aygo, C1 and 107 there seem to be millions of these and spare parts are cheap as chips whether new or used.

I have had some fun lightly modding it while keeping it stock in appearance. Takes me right back to the crappy cars I spent hours on back in the 90s but I'm too old for big wheels and go faster stripes now. The main job BFF and I have done is replace the six-speaker stock stereo with a decent Pioneer head unit and three way coaxial speakers both in dash and doors. The boot now contains a large subwoofer tube (SWT-12S4) run by an equally powerful amplifier (already had most of this in storage) but that's a secret. If you look hard at a speaker grille you can notice the shinier tweeters but otherwise it's impossible to tell. Not like it had much of a boot in the first place and it's a five door so easier to use the back seats in most cases.

Why bother with all this? Honestly I live in an upstairs flat with fantastic neighbours who I don't want to annoy. As a result I normally listen to music at low volume or with headphones (except when they are on holiday). It's nice to cut loose and feel some real bass once in a time and it is awesome on longer trips.

To anyone who has bothered reading this far thanks for sharing my midlife crisis. I can share pictures of the install if anyone is interested. Next job is a major paint renovation once I pick up my new DA polisher.

tl:dr: Me old, Aygo fun, me make loud.

Post subject: Re: Inherited Aygo
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:54 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Hello and welcome, for what is a cheap no frills car, they are a fun drive, at least you know the history which is half the battle, these ickle cars can take some abuse and with some tlc come out the other side looking good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:47 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Hello and welcome.

acrimonious wrote:
To anyone who has bothered reading this far thanks for sharing my midlife crisis. I can share pictures of the install if anyone is interested.

Mark me down as interested. :D It's always interesting to see what people have done with their cars.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:53 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
Hi I know the feeling about not wanting to annoy the neighbours. Mine are German and I love Reggae it's all l play. The car is mine l can decide, but indoors must be friendly or else.
Regarding the rolling on curves etc, have you considered changing to unrated shocks and springs.
Or new standard ones. Many owners sell them or you could call small cars are ltd they are car breakers.
Tel: 0120 559 4202
Good Luck