Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Potential Newbie
PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:16 am 

Drives: TBC -
Hi all,

I'll start off by apologising for the long post, but thought it may be best to use one post for my questions rather than 3 or 4 separate.

I am unsure if this is a post that should go here or over in technical so admin, apologies if in the wrong place, but just wondered if anyone could assist with a few questions

I am currently weighing up using an Aygo/107/C1 for a bit of cheap, grassroots Motorsport (mainly autosolo/test & possibly the odd Targa)

I've been doing 'solo/tests one and off for about 14 years using a variety of motors but in the last few years mainly using K11 Micras (as father-in-law owns about 6) but after something cheap that I can have a bit of a tinker with myself and in the next couple of years my eldest will be looking to get involved too.

Does anyone in here currently use one for these kind of event, and if so what are your thoughts?

They seem to be getting a lot cheaper in price to buy, and spares are readily available so looking like a good call to soon start taking over from the current "class" favourite the k11 Micra.

From a quick nosey round the 'web, I'd be looking at ideally a 1ltr/3dr although the 5dr wouldn't really be any issues, and the idea would be to keep it on the "budget" side as will be a weekend/toy with my i40 barge keeping daily duties

What to look for
Are there any "common" faults/issues to keep an eye out for when going to look at one of the range? Rust, gearbox, EML warnings, etc?

Handling Mods
Based on what I'd be looking at using it for, I'd be looking at improving the handling for practical use not just for "stance" are there any recommendations? Best springs/Coilovers set up, would the ARB from the diesel be a useful upgrade over the petrol ARB or are they the same, any "braces" (upper/lower/front/rear) that make a difference?

Engine Breathing
I'm not expecting any miracles out of a 1ltr 3cyl engine, and know that "bang for buck" not going to see vast improvement, but standard rules would be if you can make the flow of air better (intake and exhaust), the engine performance should be less hampered so just wondering what people do? Any 4-2-1 or 4-1 (or should that be a 3-2-1, 3-1) Mani's, any cat back systems, best filters either replacement panel or cone/intake, any intakes that actually do more than just "bwarp"

Safety upgrades
Brakes, cage, seats, harness, etc

As I'd be looking at doing things over a period of time just due to family/money constraints, after buying handling mods would be the first port of call as believe for intended use this would be the wisest area to focus on to see initial improvements, bit happy to be proven wrong if others disagree.

TIA

Post subject: Re: Potential Newbie
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 10:53 am 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Suggest that you search on:-

Bunkey’s Fast Road/Race Development Diary

Entertaining read and he seems to know what he's doing - might be worth having a chat with him :-)