Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New owner and member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:09 pm 

Drives: 2008 Aygo + 2008 107
Hello folks,

I'm a new owner of not just one but TWO of these lovely little cars. My partner and I have a Peugeot 107 and an Aygo, both of 2008 plate, and both sporting MMT/Tronic gearbox. The cars have been a lovely surprise as everyday we are amazed at just how good and ecconomic they are turning out to be, even after doing over 130,000 miles each, and coping with my rather rapid motorway driving demands.

We bought them in November as the culmination of a huge run of bad luck - so hopefully they may represent a new dawn.

We had to radically downsize the cost of motoring, as regrettably, despite have three honours degrees, two in science and an MA in humanities, I've had no luck finding a job. Sadly I was forced to take ten years out to look after my dying late partner, but employers seem to view a ten year gap as perhaps meaning there is a hidden problem... So I keep applying but dont even get interviews - which for someone well qualified and experienced at senior level, but simply trying to get a regular job, is rather disappointing. Anyway enough, I digress...

This was really meant to just say hello, and explain that despite my name (which is Jenny by the way) I'm going to be doing all my own maintainance, as I'm one the growing number of tech savvy women.

I'll be starting this weekend with a full service on both cars. So this little group should be really useful to me and I would really value any technical advice from experienced members.

Post subject: Re: New owner and member
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:20 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Hello and welcome, sorry to hear your run of bad luck, hopefully the new year will see a turnaround. Good to hear you enjoying your new cars, they good little alrounders, can hold their own on the motorway, even though really city/town cars.

They great little cars to work on, quite simple mechanics, so ideal to work on at home. If you didn't know there is a Haynes manual for our ickle cars, so may be a helpful buy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:39 pm 

Drives: 2008 Aygo + 2008 107
Thanks steve - interestingly I've noticed a really striking difference in the tuning of both cars. The 107 is slow off a standing start, but will cope with motorways damn well - It comes into its own over 50mph and zips along at 70mph (or indeed above if you ask it to) almost as well as my old Yaris - and while you cant exactly burn someone off, it would certainly go plenty fast enough to lose you your licence (if you take my drift).

A few months back on the M25 I nearly got taken out by a big vehicle that simply hadnt seen me and was rather grateful to find that the car would still accelerate going up a hill at 80+, not that I make a habit of doing that sort of speed, but this was in extremis and an exceptional emergency, and to my surprise the 107 proved to have "legs" aplenty and managed to get me safely out of the way.

The Aygo meanwhile is nippier and more positive around town - but REALLY runs out of puff big-time when you get to about 75mph. So I would guess the 107 would actually probably do more than its manufacturer claimed 98mph maximum - I can't test that for obvious reasons, but the Aygo might not even reach that speed, I've not really managed more than possible 72 or 73mph, although as I say oddly around town it seems to have more poke. So I am wondering if the different manufacturers or garages do set them up slightly differently, as they drive completely different - both cars return over 60mpg so actually that side is really good.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:03 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Interesting comparison there, we had our 107, which is a 2008 manual version since new. Must admit the only gripe with ours is it struggles with slow 2nd gear acceleration, compared other cars had, so have whip into first. Althought talking car comparisions, my sister got a newer 108 this year with the 1.0 engine, and that does drive alot different to our 107, think they changed gearing and ecu on that, to improve the emissions to 95g/km. The 108 is a big improvement on the 107, but I agree with others that the 107 is more 'fun' to drive than the 108.

The probably are differences between the early Aygo's and 107s/C1s, cos iirc the Aygos were always slightly better on the emissions, the Aygo was at the the magic 99g/km way before the 107/C1, assume it just the ecu map, cos they were close on emissions. Possibly just another 'edge' Toyota wanted over Peugeot/Citroen, as the Aygos had better stereo/speakers setup and other interior bits to make it a bit more special.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 pm 

Drives: 2006 Peugeot 107
Welcome, hope the weekend of servicing went well!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:50 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
www.citybugstore.co.uk for all your servicing needs

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Wellcome to the club and fire away with any questions you may have, there’s lots of experience on here.