Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Old/member returning!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:52 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1
Evening C1OC,

I joined way back in 2013 :o when I was looking for my first car. Unfortunately the Bug range was out of my budget at the time so I ended up with several Renaults (blasphemy, I know :lol:). I managed to end up with a rather expensive Clio mk4 diesel on finance that after a health-related pay cut I could no longer afford so I've opted to return it to the finance company as a Voluntary Termination.

I still needed a set of wheels to get to work, so I trawled Autotrader with a budget of £3k or so - and ended up with a rather well kept C1! It's done 43k, full service history, 3 previous owners none of which seems to have driven it much (it's only done 1000 miles since July 2016 and 100 since July 2017 according to the MOT history) and it's the VTR spec so it's got the all important air con and rev counter.

I collect him (I name all my cars... I know I'm a bit sad :lol: ) on Sunday - just need to sort the insurance and tax. Tax is going from nothing to £20 a year but my insurance is dropping from £1000 (!) to £280 a year so I'm really chuffed. I've got some small mods planned - a new head unit is a certainty but the rest I'm not sure on as of yet.

Some pictures:

Attachment:
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0138.jpg [ 961.88 KiB | Viewed 1079 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0136.jpg
IMG_0136.jpg [ 862.36 KiB | Viewed 1078 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_0129.jpg
IMG_0129.jpg [ 969.05 KiB | Viewed 1080 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:28 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
welcome back man, long time no see

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm 

Drives: peugeot 107
if it was the 1.5dci well worth getting rid before it cost more to repair than buying a c1 evan on the renault forum its said stay away

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 pm 

bugsb wrote:
if it was the 1.5dci well worth getting rid before it cost more to repair than buying a c1 evan on the renault forum its said stay away

Oddly enough it was! I was getting near 50k miles on it so getting towards "problem" mileage I suppose. The 90 bhp 1.5 dCi engine is a horrid unit - under powered, next to zero torque so you have to drive it like a petrol, no punch to overtake with. Only advantage was it was incredibly efficient, my best average MPG on a tank was 73.4 mpg on a long motorway run although at one point on a steady run I got up to 96mpg!

The Bug has less miles even though it's twice the age so I can't really complain. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm 

so another 10k and cam belt change time, the trick also to stop the dreaded metal fillings in the fuel from the pump was a cap-full of mineral 2st oil in every tank it will not burn but lubs the pumps bearings many have had to pay the £2000+ to have new fuel system inc fuel lines and injectors due to this problem also egr valve clean every 6 mths before the problems start or better still blank it i had some pictures of a head i removed after i think it was 80k a min of 3mm of crap on the valves and inlet ports
i found in the long run the great mpg did not cover the repair cost and i did them all myself i had the dreaded turbo fail and the engine then running on its own oil lucky i spotted it and stalled the engine before it went bang so many come on the forum with this problem after the fact and all we can say is sorry new engine
i think the funny thing is bmw 2.0D they are well known to go bang so called for life timing chains that let go and bmw have known about it since around 2006 have a search on the net it will open your eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:26 pm 

bugsb wrote:
so another 10k and cam belt change time, the trick also to stop the dreaded metal fillings in the fuel from the pump was a cap-full of mineral 2st oil in every tank it will not burn but lubs the pumps bearings many have had to pay the £2000+ to have new fuel system inc fuel lines and injectors due to this problem also egr valve clean every 6 mths before the problems start or better still blank it i had some pictures of a head i removed after i think it was 80k a min of 3mm of crap on the valves and inlet ports
i found in the long run the great mpg did not cover the repair cost and i did them all myself i had the dreaded turbo fail and the engine then running on its own oil lucky i spotted it and stalled the engine before it went bang so many come on the forum with this problem after the fact and all we can say is sorry new engine
i think the funny thing is bmw 2.0D they are well known to go bang so called for life timing chains that let go and bmw have known about it since around 2006 have a search on the net it will open your eyes

Do you mean 10k on the Bug or the Clio? If you meant the Clio then it's going back so thankfully no longer my problem :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:53 pm 

the clio its meant to be 70k for a belt change but many have gone before that so best done at 60k