Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:48 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
I'm not sure if my C1 2006 has a similar problem as yours or if it's a problem. Early this year I asked my mechanic to align my steering wheel. It was always set pointing one notch to the right. Really annoying.
I said forget it. After he said it would cost 65 Euro. Keep in mind that l always drive with 2 hands on the wheel, not one. On bends it's ok, but on sharp corners it does not come back. I have to give it a helping hand, doesn't matter if it's left or right. Mileage about 95.000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:54 pm 

Drives: Aygo Fire 2012
Brixtonboy, my Aygo’s steering issue seems to be the opposite of your C1s! On a sharp corner, like the full lock almost 180 degree turn I have to negotiate most days coming home, the self centring is fine except for the very last degree or so where I have to tell the car where straight ahead is for the final 50m home.

I had a Jimny that behaved a bit like your C1 at full lock on this same 180 corner. It required frantic wrestling with the steering wheel to get the road wheels straight if I took it too fast (which was most times in order to avoid getting shunted from behind). It turned out to be tracking and the way the tyres had worn unevenly because the tracking was out. That could be worth having checked and it might re-centre the steering wheel if you point it out to the mechanic.

Steering problems are not exactly a recurring theme in these forums, but I suspect yours and my problems are not unique. It would be interesting to do a poll to see how many steering problems there have been and if there is a common cause (but no idea how to do that).

Ford Galaxy 130 TDI 2005 (removable seats, part time van)
Skoda Yeti 170 TDI 4X4 (well, my partner’s really)
Swift Escape Compact C205

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:43 pm 

On another thread from a while back there appears to be a recurring theme, Aygo drivers seem to have the problem while C1 and 107 drivers don’t. Does anyone know the steering mechanism in depth and can suggest what might be unique to the Aygo setup? CityBugStore only sell one type of rack and one type of column so maybe it’s the programming?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:45 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Sorry I have only just seen this post. I thought my post had not been sent, it would be nice to get my steering wheel straight after all this time l must say. Hope he does not tell me well Kenny still can't get it straight, looks like your baby car has been in an accident. 65euro Bitte

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:58 pm 

I’m Still fixated on the fact that the self centring issue seems to be unique to Aygos so I have been trying to find out how the steering gets calibrated as that has to be the only difference. I plugged my Autel ODB reader in but it didn't ‘see’ the EPS controller (thankfully no error codes and a clean bill of health on the readiness check). Then I finally googled the right words and stumbled into Toyota’s TechStream, and then some cheap offerings on eBay.

Does anyone have any experience of using this type of device.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16pin-Mini-V ... 2063076459

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:07 am 

I contacted my Toyota dealer asking if they could just connect my Aygo to their TechStream and re-calibrate the steering as a first step rather than take it apart hoping to find a mechanical cause (and rack up their bill). Quite politely the chap said no, maintaining it could not possibly be programming and that it has to be mechanical. Well, he would wouldn’t he, and he poo-pooed my theory that if a lot of Aygos have the problem and C1s/107s don’t it can only be the electronic setup.

I have now bought a TechStream device from eBay and will have a go myself. Not the one in the previous link though as the seller said it would not do the steering.... what can possibly go wrong!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:27 pm 

Just a quick update. Still can’t get the darned TechStream to recognise the Aygo! I have tried 32bit W7 and 64bit W10 installations and they both connect but have no idea what they are connected to. The eBay supplier has even had a go via remote access and has no idea. Anybody any ideas... is there a 2nd OBD port hidden on an Aygo?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:48 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Nigel-ph wrote:
is there a 2nd OBD port hidden on an Aygo?

No, just one port but only the engine ECU connects to the normal pins - the transmission & steering ECUs connect to 'unusual' pins that need a wiring adaptor to be able to connect to.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:07 pm 

I finally got TechStream working using the eBay Mini VCI device. After a lot of headaches and emails with the supplier it turned out to be the device was faulty (or maybe incorrect) but I can now access all the systems.

Anyway... to the point. My Aygo EMPS system is showing a C1542 error which is a vehicle speed signal malfunction. As I understand it this means that the power steering ECU doesn’t know how fast the car is going so it defaults to 62kmh, which is probably why the steering feels stiff.

Still a way to go because it could be the speed sensor (wherever that is), the wiring or the ECU itself, but at least I have something to investigate.

Anybody have any thoughts where to start?

P.S. It’s well worth getting the Mini VCI with TechStream to look inside your Aygo... but you need to be computer savvy to set it up and to proceed with care as it allows you to mess with things you may not understand!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:55 pm 

Well... i’m now a huge fan of TechStream.

Using various features I discovered that despite the C1542 error the vehicle speed sensing was actually working.... logic says it had to be or there would be all sorts of problems. I could see the speed update by moving the car and observing the live EMPS display.

I cleared the C1542 DTC, took the car for a quick spin and as if by a miracle (slight exaggeration) the steering now seems ok. It’s certainly much lighter at low speed, it self centres much better and the C1542 DTC has not come back.

If you think about the symptoms way back at the start of this post.... lack of centring and stiff around centre... it makes a whole lot of sense if the power steering was permanently set for 62mph. I don’t know what caused the code to be reported but I will know from the feel of the steering if it comes back.

I’ll put this thread on the back burner now, but if anyone wants further info i’m really happy to share what I have learned (mostly the hard way) by pm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next