Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:46 pm 

Drives: Aygo 2007
Hello guys, I'll put an underseat subwoofer (kenwood ksc-sw11) next week to my 08 Aygo. Is it better to put it under the driver seat or under the passenger seat for a better sound?

Also has someone done it before and could give some installation tips from your experience? :wave:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:48 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
I fitted the previous version Kenwood SW-01 few years ago, I put mine under the driver's seat, purely for practical reasons as occasional rear passenger usually sits passenger side and thought it be interesting to have some bass under my bottom!

As for installation, it was very easy, not sure how you intend wire it, but I thought the kenwood supplied wiring bit weedy, so I bought higher gauge full amp wiring kit, as I would had to buy a fuse holder and some RCA leads anyway, so it was just cheaper to buy it all in one kit. But saying that, the kit supplied remote trigger wire (blue) was cr*p (very thin/few strands), the amp kept cutting on/off, so I had to replace that wire and then the amp and wiring was all ok.

Just another thing, for earthing the amp, I found a 'proper' earthing point behind driver's footwell kick panel, pull it off and behind insulation you should see earthing bolt. Some peeps used seat bolt without any issues, but I found that while running the amp wiring in so used it.

And another, just remembered for fixing the amp down, I didn't want drill holes in floor, so I bought some sticky velcro strips and stuck the hook part to underside of the sub and it grips the standard cheapo carpet nicely :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:07 am 

Thanks, Steve. I don't want to drill any holes so I was planning to do the same with some sticky stuff :thumbs:

Also can I power the sub from fuse box or is it better to connect the power wire straight to the battery? And what about signal wire, will it work connected to the stereo?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:30 am 

I powered mine straight from the battery, I just found that easier, and method I used on previous cars, and it kept things seperate. Know you can get fancy piggy back fuse connectors now, so that maybe an option. The trigger/signal (blue) wire is from the stereo, if you've swapped your stereo headunit, most aftermarket stereos wiring harnesses have one.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:07 pm 

Drives: peuegeot 107
I have installed an underseat subwoofer but I had to put mine in the trunk instead because I needed the space in the back seats.

I also did wiring directly to the battery, for the earthing I found a great spot when wiring where the gear shift is if you're going to wire that way its really easy to remove the chunk of plastic it's one bolt but if you should choose to put the cables around the gear shift then be aware that it is really easy for the seat heating button cables to fall off.

Mine did and I haven't connected them again because I don't know how I should put them and right now it's warm outside so I don't need a warm butt :) just be aware of it so you don't make the same mistake, take photos of the cables behind the buttons and feel free to share the photos if you do it that way :D

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:58 pm 

Thanks for tips! I don't have seat heating, so it should be okay :thumbs: btw, how does the tiny underseat subwoofer sound in the boot? I believe in a cabin it would be a little bit louder

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:43 pm 

For me, I wouldn't bother putting it in the boot, it too small and not powerful enough. For what it is, it is pretty good, but for me boot subs need be bigger, in enclosure and with more powerful amp. Maybe the clues in the name!

Another thing, is the kenwood sw01/sw11 controller cable, is it long enough, I cannot remember how long mine was , ok citybugs only little car, so probably ok, but something to think about!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:39 pm 

Drives: peuegeot 107
Mine actually sounds really good, but I don't have the same model as yours mine is slightly larger it's an gas sub800 8inch 200w.

I started out with having it under the passenger front seat but it was a bit to large and the passengers always ruptured my cables so that's why it's in the trunk instead, and to be honest I can't hear any difference from when it was under the passenger seat.

But the one you have looks like it's a better fit for placing under the seat of our small cars :) and it makes a huge difference atleast it did for me I started out with an aftermarket stereo and new front speakers but I was not pleased with the sound, but now it's perfect!

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:45 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
Mine is slightly too tall to put under the seat so I put it in the boot. It's about the same size as the Kenwood one (but taller, obviously - by about 1cm) and I'm happy with the sound. I've had huge boot subs that pretty much filled the entire boot before in other cars and this certainly isn't one of those and it doesn't have anything like the output of one of those. However, it just adds nicely to the bass and gives a more rounded sound: just what I wanted in my C1.