C1OC - CityBugClub - Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clutch Fault Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:41 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
It seems the mechanic got it wrong then, l don't know if the clutch would fail the MOT.
But l stand by my statement that garages lie to us, and further more most l have proof.
Now l'm not saying that ALL garages are cheats, please keep that in mind.

Here is something I took from Quora

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:22 am 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
While I don't doubt any of the above, I have to say that I have had a very positive experience with Arnold Clark servicing in Aberdeen since I got my C1. I actually bought it in Perth (about 90 miles away) and I was offered a service deal with it. I have to admit, I was very wary but the deal looked cheap so I figured that I didn't have much to lose and that I might as well try it.

The first time I took my car in for a service under the deal, a full service and MOT was done. A few consumable bits were replaced (unusual, non-consumable parts would not be part of the agreement) and I got a full service report and they even texted me a link to a video of them surveying my car for general condition and roadworthiness before any work was carried out. Even more, I'd already bought a new indicator stalk and fog lamps for my car and had planned to fit them myself but Arnold Clark did the work for free (it's not a big job (steering wheel off, replace stalk, bumper off, fit lights, radio out fit a relay), but they could have charged an hours labour for it). They also "upgraded" my service deal to include something about being able to get them to top up the fluids for free at any time. Frankly, I don't ever see me going to a dealer to get a fill of washer fluid and I guess they know it's a cheap thing to offer and that it doesn't get/need much take-up but it has a "feel-good" factor (and I know that just means it's a successful brand loyalty marketing tool).

I've now had a second service and MOT and still had no additional charges over and above the fee that I paid for the deal when I bought the car and not been encouraged to spend on anything not covered by the deal. Basically the same story as above.

The term of the deal has now expired but, while it was running, they did not try to get me to replace anything that wasn't covered by the agreement and even though the only things that have been replaced on my car during the services have been cheap consumable items, there is no way I could have independently got two MOTs and two services for what I paid for the deal. In addition, all the staff that I have dealt with have been friendly, helpful and, as far as I can tell, knowledgable and skilled.

I know that dealers and, yes, often Arnold Clark branches in particular can have a bad reputation with some horror stories attached and I would still always approach any such deal or dealer with caution (and I do generally still use indie garages too) I have to say that my experience with Arnold Clark servicing, Aberdeen has been very positive indeed. I would happily enter into a similar servicing deal for another car and I would hope to have a similarly positive experience.

I know that's not exactly clutch-related but it kind of provides a counter-point to the bad experiences. It's not always bad news and shoddy treatment of the customer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:37 am 

Hi enjay we could actually start a thread about garages and personal treatment.
I'm sure there are many around England that have great reputations.

I have no desire to slag of the whole of the game, l used to work in trade as a manager, 1 is still operating and is probably the biggest the U.K. At that time they sold just brakes and tyres, l checked yesterday, now l see that sell many more services.
Their Air Conditioning cleaning sounds interesting, it's called a smoke "bomb" if l remember correctly. Some how it works from inside the car.
I have mine in can and feed a tube through the vents under the wiper.

Still back then there was no internet or forums to get information, if the man in the blue overhaul said,

"Well your brakes might last longer, but l'm not saying they will"

Anyway your here now!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:16 pm 

Drives: C1 2007
Hi. New to forum. Haven't read all of the replies on this thread but my clutch problem is this:
When cold changing gear is no problem. Once warm it's almost impossible to get into 1st gear.
Is this a clutch or a gear problem to you think?
TIA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:37 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Replace the gearbox oil and see if that improves it

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:25 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 VTR+ 2010
Just changed my clutch over the weekend, whilst driving it home on thursday afternoon the pedal went rock hard and the clutch wouldn't engage. I suspected the fork had snapped but turns out it was the thrust bearing. Took me much longer than the ~4 hours a decent garage would recommend but I'm by no means a mechanic.

Car only has 49k on the clock, had it since 18-19k and afaik this was still the first clutch. The friction plate and the pressure plate had typical wear on them but no signs of breakage or damage. Thrust bearing had a snapped tab which I suspect prevented the fork from moving it out and thus caused my issue. I still have the old clutch and will try to get some pictures to illustrate in the morning.

New clutch was £50, some oil for the gearbox came to ~£15 and Citroen charge up to £500. I'd rather struggle and do it myself. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 pm 

Drives: Aygo+
Replaced a clutch on customers 2006 aygo. 203mm clutch fit fine. No complaints from customer but its still early days. Clutch felt more direct like a sports clutch feel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 am 

Donovan wrote:
Just changed my clutch over the weekend, whilst driving it home on thursday afternoon the pedal went rock hard and the clutch wouldn't engage. I suspected the fork had snapped but turns out it was the thrust bearing. Took me much longer than the ~4 hours a decent garage would recommend but I'm by no means a mechanic.

Car only has 49k on the clock, had it since 18-19k and afaik this was still the first clutch. The friction plate and the pressure plate had typical wear on them but no signs of breakage or damage. Thrust bearing had a snapped tab which I suspect prevented the fork from moving it out and thus caused my issue. I still have the old clutch and will try to get some pictures to illustrate in the morning.

New clutch was £50, some oil for the gearbox came to ~£15 and Citroen charge up to £500. I'd rather struggle and do it myself. :D

Nice one man congrats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:50 pm 

Drives: 2005 Peugeot 107 3dr
AntiguaBlue wrote:
wee mac wrote:
Replace the clutch and release bearing all at the same time, you can get a few extra miles out it until it starts to squeal even slightly then get it replaced

Do the c1 oc clutch kits include the release bearing?

Weirdly i checked again last night and there is absolutely no squeal from the clutch release bearing at all now. The clutch works absolutely fine, no squeal or slip.

Had my car MOT'd and serviced the other day & got them to check out the squeal from the clutch. At first the technician couldn't hear the noise but I took him out to my car and demonstrated the noise. He said it's dust on the release bearing & possibly a slightly squeaky clutch plate that was just from them listening to the noise, the technician dipped the clutch pedal a few times & the noise lessened a bit. He said there's no problem with the clutch pedal or clutch operation as it'd had been on a test drive after the service. Technician said to leave it alone unless bearing squeal gets louder or clutch starts to slip. He said they could take the gearbox out to take a look at the bearing & clutch but he said 'that's when it starts getting expensive'.

Ben.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:24 pm 

https://citybugstore.co.uk/citroen-c1-2 ... acing.html

Here's should be the link 3 kit is all parts.

If you decide to allow the garage to remove the box, then you may as well replace the complete clutch worn out or not. If it's a Main Dealer the normally will not fit customers own parts.
You might also want to consider using this gearbox oil when refilling it.
I did and it improved my gear changes no end.

Reverse is much better and l can get 1 st. Without force

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next