C1OC - CityBugClub - Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Clutch Fault Thread
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 pm 

Drives: 2005 Peugeot 107 3dr
Reedy wrote:
The c1oc clutchs are brilliant and come with the bearing etc

If it's not slipping I wouldn't worry too much about it until it starts to slip/squeal

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply Reedy. Just for clarification, you think it's not worth replacing the release bearing or the clutch until the clutch begins to slip/squeal?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:52 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
Replace the clutch and release bearing all at the same time, you can get a few extra miles out it until it starts to squeal even slightly then get it replaced

Post subject: Clutch Fault Thread
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:33 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Here a quick one for anyone who thinks their clutch is
biting too high. It's a bit tricky getting on the knurled plastic nut.
Word of warning don't over do it.

https://youtu.be/VG2ad-ZhcjY

Hope it helps

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:52 am 

Drives: 2005 Peugeot 107 3dr
wee mac wrote:
Replace the clutch and release bearing all at the same time, you can get a few extra miles out it until it starts to squeal even slightly then get it replaced

Do the c1 oc clutch kits include the release bearing?

Weirdly i checked again last night and there is absolutely no squeal from the clutch release bearing at all now. The clutch works absolutely fine, no squeal or slip.

Post subject: Clutch Fault Thread
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:27 am 

Don't worry about it, l'm sure you'll know when it becomes a problem.

https://citybugstore.co.uk/

This is the link to the club store.

All the kits are showing the bearing included

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:35 am 

jm0634 wrote:
brixtonboy wrote:
Hi, have you had this problem before?

No, this is the first I've experienced it. However, I haven't owned the car from new and have only put 3,000 or so miles on it since buying, so I can't say for sure that it's the first time it's happened on my car.

As an update, I take back my bit about "preferring the clutch this way". I drove it a little further afield tonight, a journey which involved dual carriageways and busy roundabouts, and it was truly tedious. Pulling away at any sort of speed is a chore, as it's nigh on impossible to bring the clutch up smoothly when it's so stiff. With that in mind, I think it's pretty imperative that I get the issue fixed ASAP. I'm going to speak to the same mechanic who carried out the service tomorrow and hopefully have him repair the fault. It would still be helpful nonetheless if I had a few ideas of what it could be so that I can point him in the right direction.

Any update on your clutch problem from your 2nd. Visit?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:59 pm 

Drives: 2012 Aygo Fire AC
brixtonboy wrote:
jm0634 wrote:
brixtonboy wrote:
Hi, have you had this problem before?

No, this is the first I've experienced it. However, I haven't owned the car from new and have only put 3,000 or so miles on it since buying, so I can't say for sure that it's the first time it's happened on my car.

As an update, I take back my bit about "preferring the clutch this way". I drove it a little further afield tonight, a journey which involved dual carriageways and busy roundabouts, and it was truly tedious. Pulling away at any sort of speed is a chore, as it's nigh on impossible to bring the clutch up smoothly when it's so stiff. With that in mind, I think it's pretty imperative that I get the issue fixed ASAP. I'm going to speak to the same mechanic who carried out the service tomorrow and hopefully have him repair the fault. It would still be helpful nonetheless if I had a few ideas of what it could be so that I can point him in the right direction.

Any update on your clutch problem from your 2nd. Visit?

Yes, but unfortunately not what I was hoping to hear. The same mechanic who just a week ago stated there was: "nothing wrong with my clutch" took a look at the car this morning and is now saying the clutch is on its way out! I was pretty shocked to hear this. As I said the clutch itself seems to work fine, no judder or slippage I've noticed-surely they'd be the first signs of clutch failure rather than a stiff pedal? Plus surely there's no way the clutch can go from fine to b*ggered within days under normal use.
I'm considering taking it to Toyota for a second opinion, as I really don't want to replace the clutch prematurely. The mechanic has told me that the clutch does still have some life and wouldn't fail an MOT in its current state, but according to him the stiff pedal is there to stay until I replace it. So as you can imagine, I'm having a bit of a dilemma just now. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:08 pm 

Really strange considering he said there was nothing wrong with it. If you do decide to take it in, just ask for a general check of the clutch and gearbox for example.

If they focus on the clutch they will probably condemn it for sure.
Tell them something like, you have a long journey abroad coming up and want to make sure everything is in order.

Garages lie to us, we can do the same to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am 

Drives: C1
Don't think clutch is an mot part??? If you have breakdown cover and can afford to be with out your car a couple of days wait till it fails...might go for ages had the same thing with a duel mass flywheel still going two years on...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:34 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
brixtonboy wrote:
Garages lie to us, we can do the same to them.

I resent that comment BB,

The clutch is indirectly tested on an MOT its not part of the test itself. But if the vehicle cannot drive it will be failed.

I would personally replace it at the first sign of wear, same with any parts, as it may lead to further issues if not corrected.

By the sounds of it this guy is not interested in the work, avoid main dealer. Take it to another independent garage.it should cost around £200-300 depending on labour costs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 675 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next