Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:06 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
Hi all,

I am pretty sure there are a few articles dotted on here regarding similar noises, however when I want to find them, I can't seem to :lol:

There is a rattle/metal squeak sound coming from the back every now and then, when I drive. I have removed the parcel shelf and have had nothing loose in the boot but it is still there. Seems to sound like it could be the glass hatch??

If anyone has had similar and solved the noise could you post what you did!! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:20 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Check the hatch hinge pins. They can work loose, it might also be a lose lock catch. Easy to adjust just mark it's present position loosen the 2 fixing bolts a little and tap towards the front of the car, effectively putting the glass tighter inwards. Just a little at a time. Tighten the bolts. And try it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:56 pm 

Drives: renault
brixtonboy said
Quote:
it might also be a loose lock catch

this :)
not loose but as he explains they get a little bit of play and boy can a journey be noisy
to confirm its this open tailgate, drive for a few miles with tailgate just pulled down ie not into catch this will confirm if noise gone,obviously be sensible go on local roads no dual carriageways at 70 etc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 pm 

Don't have the interior windows open, or l think you'll know what will happen!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:56 pm 

Thanks both of you! Will give this a go this weekend and let you know how I get on! :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:41 pm 

Drives: 107
A couple of other quick and easier things worth a try...

Re the noisy rear window catch, which might be your metallic squeaking/rattling noise, this isn't uncommon. One easy fix you may get away with (worked for me three years ago and hasn't come back since) is to spray the innards of the catch mechanism with a good lithium white grease, or similar.

The rattling at the rear, which you also thought could be the shelf, can also be. They tend to fit a bit loosely on the rear mountings that the shelf pushes on to and then pivots on. This makes the shelf rattle up and down over uneven ground/bumps. If you wrap something like black insulation tape around the plastic lugs on each side (that the shelf pushes on to) until the fit is snug, you may well find this particular annoying rattle goes away. Worked for me anyway...!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:59 pm 

lancer wrote:
A couple of other quick and easier things worth a try...

Re the noisy rear window catch, which might be your metallic squeaking/rattling noise, this isn't uncommon. One easy fix you may get away with (worked for me three years ago and hasn't come back since) is to spray the innards of the catch mechanism with a good lithium white grease, or similar.

Tightened the latch slightly and lithium white greased it and now spot on, noise completely gone :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:33 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
it might also be a lose lock catch. Easy to adjust just mark it's present position loosen the 2 fixing bolts a little and tap towards the front of the car, effectively putting the glass tighter inwards. Just a little at a time. Tighten the bolts. And try it out.

lancer wrote:
spray the innards of the catch mechanism with a good lithium white grease, or similar.

My dad (combo - above) tried both of these and it has worked A DREAM. :thumbs:
Thank you all so much! Car journeys will be much more enjoyable now the noise is gone :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:18 pm 

Thanks for the feedback (good or bad) happy motoring

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:16 pm 

Nice to have been of assistance to you both!