Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:17 pm 

Drives: 2015 C1 Feel
So today fitted a reversing camera to my daughters C1 Feel.

I used a cable from Car Solutions that allows you to do the install without cutting any of the vehicles wiring. This cost just under £20 when I bought it but I think may be available at a discounted price currently.

The cable is easy to install. Prise off the facia surrounding the touch screen and demister controls. Start from the top and work your way around and downwards. There is a wiring connection on the left hand side which just needs the clip pressing in and pulling clear. The next piece of trim to remove is above the touch screen, covering the vent on the top of the dash. At the edge nearest the screenpull the trim upwards. Two clips here to release.

You can now see the connection that needs to be removed. You may be able to do this without further dismantling, but I couldn't so removed the two screws holding the top of the touchscreen. With these out you can pull the whole unit out towards you Its held in by clips which were a little stiff but will come out eventually.

Looking from the top, on the right hand side of the unit, remove the 8 pin connector. ( second in from the right). Push this into the end of the Car Solutions cable. Put the other end of the new cable back into the head unit. The cable has a built in video connection. It also has a positive and earth power output cables, which can be used to power the camera.

Whatever camera you intend to fit, you need to make sure it's NTSC rather than PAL format, although many are compatible with both systems. Most camera's installation instructions suggest taking a feed from the reversing light. Don't do it, as on this car it doesn't work. The camera needs to be powered from the accessory circuit. if you use the suggested connector cable, there's no need to cut into any of the cars systems.

You now need to run the video and power cables to the rear of the car and connect up.

On completion, The head unit will now switch from whatever screen it's displaying to the camera view when reverse gear is selected.

Last edited by Dave9_3 on Thu May 30, 2019 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:04 am 

Drives: Citroen C1 Urbanride
Hi!!

I would like to do the same for my C1 Urbanride...
Could you help me?

The Urbanride (2018) in Italy doesn't have any reverse camera.

I bought the same cable you suggested and I followed your instructions to remove the head unit..

I found the 8-pin socket.. It was empty ... I insert the cable.. Now I have a 6V output positive and negative and the RCA Input....

Thanks,
Salvatore

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm 

Hi.
Are you saying there wasn't an existing plug connector already in the 8 pin socket?

On my car the existing connector had four wires going into it. I didn't need to identify what they did, I simply plugged it into the new cable, made the power connections to the camera and connected the RCA cable, and the camera worked.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:53 pm 

Hi,
No other plug in 8 pin socket... but it isn't a problem..
Did you buy a 6V camera? if yes could you give me the link where you found it?
If No could you explain how/where you made the power connections?

Thanks, Salva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:33 pm 

Hi Salva,

I bought a generic camera that was NTSC complient. I got one that was incorporated into one of the rear number plate lamps. This meant I didn't have to drill any holes in the bumper, just swap out one of the number plate lamps.

I didn't specifically buy a 6v camera. I used the power take off from the Car Solutions cable. I did check this with a meter and it does output at six volts. Despite this, the camera works perfectly. I think many of these cameras have quite an operating voltage range. Given it's only getting 6 volts, it's unlikely it's going to burn out. Bear in mind these camera are very cheap online from Aliexpress, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:47 am 

Hi..
I followed your suggestion: I bought a "12V" camera incorporated into the rear number plate lamps
I tried it and works.. I connected the video and the red/black power supplies of the Car solution Cable and automatically when I insert the reverse gear the display switches on the rear camera video.

The rear camera has four leds.. It seems that even if I'm not with reverse gear the camera is always under supply (the led are switch on).
Is this correct? I was expecting that after removing the reverse gear, the power supply to the camera was turned off.

Other question: I remove the camera and all the connections. I would like to restore the original setting but now the head unit display is looking for a video signal each time I insert the reverse gear... and so I have a black display...

Could you help me?
Thx,
Salvatore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:26 pm 

Didn't like the look of the cameras with LED's. Doesn't the information sheet from the cable manufacturer state the feed will be live when the ignition is in accessory / running mode?

If you get a camera without LED's you won't have the problem. The camera is rated at 12 volts, so it's likely that being supplied with 6 volts constantly when the car is running will not cause it to fail too quickly. The camera's are cheap, so even if it only lasts 12 months, it's not cost prohibitive to replace. My daughters camera is still currently working faultlessly.

When I was initially trial fitting it, I did a trial with the camera not connected, (but the cable still in place in the head unit). I had no issues with the screen going blank.

Ive never removed all connections like you have so can't help you with the blank screen issue you are now experiencing.