Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:22 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Active
Recently got up one morning to find the hazard warning lights flashing. I switched them off but the battery had gone flat (now recharged).

Since then the hazard warning lights have stopped working i.e. when I press the red switch into it's normal, fixed 'On' position, there is no response from the hazard warning lights. (This is so whether the engine is running or not). The indicator lights all work fine.

However, if I press the switch in slightly and keep it pressed in that way (ie. about 1mm) the hazard warning lights will actually work.

I have a MOT coming up so have to get this fixed very soon.

Any pointers as to what the problem is? (I suspect a 'switch' problem rather than, say, a fuse problem).

If I were to try to replace the switch myself, am I likely to run into other difficulties or is it quite a straight-forward task? (I don't want to make things any worse than they are at the moment).

If I were to pay a garage to replace the switch, what could I expect to have to pay ? (North-west England).

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:33 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
davidc wrote:
Recently got up one morning to find the hazard warning lights flashing. I switched them off but the battery had gone flat (now recharged).

Since then the hazard warning lights have stopped working i.e. when I press the red switch into it's normal, fixed 'On' position, there is no response from the hazard warning lights. (This is so whether the engine is running or not). The indicator lights all work fine.

However, if I press the switch in slightly and keep it pressed in that way (ie. about 1mm) the hazard warning lights will actually work.

I have a MOT coming up so have to get this fixed very soon.

Any pointers as to what the problem is? (I suspect a 'switch' problem rather than, say, a fuse problem).

If I were to try to replace the switch myself, am I likely to run into other difficulties or is it quite a straight-forward task? (I don't want to make things any worse than they are at the moment).

If I were to pay a garage to replace the switch, what could I expect to have to pay ? (North-west England).

Thanks

Definitely the switch if pressing it part way in makes the hazards work.

It's a simple enough job to replace the switch - slide the radio out and you have access to the back of the switch to unlatch and unplug it.

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance estate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:37 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Active
Thanks, will give it a go.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:02 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1 Vibe
Mine did this..new switch was £5 from a scrapyard or they are £20 new. 5 min job to replace.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:25 pm 

Drives: C1 VTR 2011, Grey
Hazard light switch failure seems to be an occasional occurance on these cars - I have seen it mentioned on here before.

I use my hazards every day when reversing out of my garage. When I bought the 2011 car, I was horrified to find that they didn't work, only flashing if the switch was pushed in slighly, rather than latched in. My theory is that the previous owner had rarely used the switch and the contacts had corroded so I went mad, pressing it over and over as quickly as possible for a minute or so. That seemed to fix the problem. Over a year later and all's well apart from the occasional double-blink as the switch is travelling.

If you try my "fix", please don't blame me if you blow a bulb or break something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzMbVnczJY - here's how to remove the fascia and disconnect the switches.

Drives C1 VTR 2011

Used to drive C1 Vibe 2007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:34 pm 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
74hct04 wrote:
Hazard light switch failure seems to be an occasional occurance on these cars - I have seen it mentioned on here before.

I use my hazards every day when reversing out of my garage. When I bought the 2011 car, I was horrified to find that they didn't work, only flashing if the switch was pushed in slighly, rather than latched in. My theory is that the previous owner had rarely used the switch and the contacts had corroded so I went mad, pressing it over and over as quickly as possible for a minute or so. That seemed to fix the problem. Over a year later and all's well apart from the occasional double-blink as the switch is travelling.

If you try my "fix", please don't blame me if you blow a bulb or break something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzMbVnczJY - here's how to remove the fascia and disconnect the switches.

I only needed to operate mine 10 times or so so excersise will clean the contacts!