Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:03 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
Weird thing happened with my 2005 107 this morning. Drove it to town no problem, jumped in to drive back and engine sounded funny like a belt was rubbing, but thought it would just go away. During the 1 mile journey it kept making the same whirring noise and some lights flashed on the display as it almost stalled. Wanted to get it home, so kept going gently.

When I went to turn off the engine I noticed it clicked back from start position and it will not restart. There was an electrical burning smell from under the bonnet. I'm guessing the starter was left engaged and driving it has probably ruined it?

Should I just get a starter from a scrappy and see if that fixes it or could there be other stuff that's broken rather than the starter motor. Am I right in thinking that the starter motor and solenoid all come in the same unit?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 pm 

https://i.imgur.com/fDwEuKU.jpg

Having tried to test the starter motor and apart from the odd bit of noise, not much happening I noticed that debris was coming out of the hole at the bottom of the starter. I think I can be fairly certain that it is an ex starter, it has ceased to be etc etc...

Off to the scrappies tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:21 pm 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
Suggest you need to be able to report which lights came on.
There is a handbook you can down load!

It sounds more like alternator or alternator drive belt! The belt sequels like a banshee!

There is a Haynes manual in local auto shops eg Halfords!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:55 pm 

Drives: Electric C1
From the description, sounds like the alternator isnt charging, and belt slipping, that would almost certainly mean the 12v battery is low and the starter would then struggle. Use a volt meter. Check what the voltage is at rest. Turn on the headlights and re check the voltage. Turn off the headlights and try to start the car (if the 12v battery was showing above 12v) re check the battery voltage with the engine running.
The alternator belt is the likely source of the squeal, as you dont use the starter (and its not on any drive belts) while driving.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:24 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Nobbie wrote:
When I went to turn off the engine I noticed it clicked back from start position and it will not restart.

Sounds more likely to be a starter problem to me than an alternator problem - in view of the fact that the key was in the start position and not in the ignition or auxiliary position.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:35 pm 

Tried to update this a while ago, but forum had crashed.

Turns out it was the starter. Fitted the one from the scrappy and it started first time with no ill effects on the other electrical stuff. I've been careful to make sure the key clicks back from the start position, so hopefully this won't happen again.