Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1
Hey,

I was wondering if anyone knew what this problem so I can then look at getting it fixed ...

When I drive over a speed hump or pot hole my passenger rear wheel makes a metal on metal sound. I inspected the rear wheel and noticed this;

The rubber seal from the coil (or suspension - literally have no idea!) has come lose and is now being housed in the center of the spring. I’ll try and upload a photo when I get to my laptop but does anyone have any idea?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:21 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Compare it to the other side, it like the rubber the spring is supposed to be sitting on has split or something. Your spring is now riding on metal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:40 pm 

I did a comparison to the other side and the rubber is lodged safely under the spring. I just wondered if anyone knew a generic price to be fixed? I don’t have much experience with garages and don’t want to end up being ripped off as I know a fair few garages do!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 pm 

Sorry man can’t help with UK prices, but l would love to know how this has happened.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:47 pm 

Thanks anyway, buddy. I'd love to know also! I think garages just see me coming knowing I have no idea so sometimes I like to be armed with the facts and a price range.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:21 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Ask around people you know who have used local garages. Maybe do a "round robin" email at work or something asking if anyone in your area knows of a good independent garage that they trust. Basically, get personal recommendations from someone you know in the area who has used a garage and who is happy to go back to them.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:01 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
As Enjay says a good independant will sort that and good to get one on recommendation. In my experience that 'spring cup' is probably knackered, probably chewed it self up working loose, so probably need a new one.You could ring citroen/peugeot dealer to get part/price, they may have to order it in. Then take parts to indepandent to fit. Also with suspension/brakes etc it best practice to do in pairs/both sides, so I'd do other side as well, just incase garage suggest it and you think they trying push price up.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:30 pm 

Did you hit a deep pot hole??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:48 pm 

Drives: Aygo 2009
I have the very same issue :-) it must have been a pothole.
A local garage here (Rome) quoted me 100 euros because (they said) you must lift the car, both rear shocks must be unbolted, the whole rear suspension lowered, then new pieces in (better on both sides), and you're done. If you're a little familiar with cars, it shoulnd't be such a terrible job... in my case, some rubber still sits where the spring meets the suspension, so I have no noises and no rust, but in your case I would do it as soon as possible.

best,

RL

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:26 pm 

Thank you so much for the replies. I am taking it to a garage that my step dad uses hopefully this weekend so they can check it out.

I don’t think I hit a pot hole. I was driving to work the other day and did hear a dreadful ‘snap/crack’ (no potholes in sight) so wondering if that was when it started.