Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:28 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107
I've got a problem with my 2009 Peugeot 107 Bug.

When braking at low speed it sounds like a pad is worn to the rivets and there's a grinding noise. However.. the car has covered 17,000 miles (only) and the pads look like new. I've had them checked over, there is hardly any wear on them.

The disks look like there is rust around the edge - maybe a slight ridge - but otherwise good. The car does not make this noise when attempting to brake (carefully) with the handbrake and I am pretty sure it is coming from the front.

It occurred to me this might be normal as it has little or no soundproofing. If so this is the only car I have heard this sound coming from (apart from a Datsun 100-A I owned as a teenager that really had shot brake pads, but the noise was much louder in that).

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:50 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Could be a stone or bit of grit caught in there. That can sometimes give a sound a bit like worn pads.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:04 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
You could do a quick search, on here, just few days ago a member did a video of just that this problem on his 107.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:46 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
Could be grit or stones, or worn pads if they have screamers fitted it will make a grinding noise when worn. Either way wheel off remove pads and spray down with brake cleaner

Honda Civic Type-S GT
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:09 pm 

Neil can you find kaliope's Video of this were the back plate was touching the disk ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:20 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
I've had the back plate touching the disk problem. In my case it made a noise when I went round corners and braking didn't make it happen. Not saying this isn't the problem, merely that it's not the symptoms I had with it. It's a quick and easy thing to check though.

Unfortunately the picture someone posted to help me is now being held to ransom by Photobucket.

'twas this topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7190 (lakeuk's post)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:21 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107
Enjay wrote:
Unfortunately the picture someone posted to help me is now being held to ransom by Photobucket.

A pox on them and their assumed ownership of our content. This has caused many of the technical articles in the Members' Section to lose much value.

I already had the brake shield problem on sharp bends - fixed that. Meanwhile, I will have a look at the brake pad faces. There is no appreciable wear (they have only done 17,000 miles), but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that there's a stone or some other bit of debris stuck in there...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:57 pm 

Idea, strip down naturally one side at a time (sorry) clean/file off any rust from where the edges of the pads slip into the carrier. De-rust the carrier also.
This next bit is not easy to explain, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Not a lot just enough so, as the edges are not flush with the disk on braking.

I normally scrape them on them on the pavement oops.

Copper slip and rebuild and retest.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
Idea, strip down naturally one side at a time (sorry) clean/file off any rust from where the edges of the pads slip into the carrier. De-rust the carrier also.
This next bit is not easy to explain, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads. Not a lot just enough so, as the edges are not flush with the disk on braking.

I normally scrape them on them on the pavement oops.

Copper slip and rebuild and retest.

Good luck

You’ve probably already sorted it, but just in case here’s what l meant about the chamfering business.

Better late than never, like braking at the traffic lights =-)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 pm 

Drives: was VTR 2009
If you've got a 2009 car with 17k on it, that's still on the original brakes, corrosion could be your cause.

I had a 2009 C1, when I changed the factory brakes in about 2014 they were ruined even then. They can be prone to rotting.