Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 am 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
yellowbelly wrote:
My first and second gears a bit lumpy when its cold might give the box an oil change is it easy to do or a total pig like every other car iv done the gearbox oil on?

It needs to be GL4 not GL5!
First is annoying down into second should be ok at 30 if you don't use pressure!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 pm 

Drives: 2007 Peugeot 107
brixtonboy wrote:
Have you noticed any difference in getting reverse?

And on downshifting?

Reverse is the same, downshifting is perfect now.

yellowbelly wrote:
My first and second gears a bit lumpy when its cold might give the box an oil change is it easy to do or a total pig like every other car iv done the gearbox oil on?

When I used my car this morning - it was about 3 degrees Celsius outside - the shift from 1st to 2nd was a tiny bit notchy. There was no effort required to shift and the notchy feeling cleared up after a couple of miles. I'm perfectly happy with this since before it would get stuck in first, then it out wouldn't go into 2nd so I'd have to shift straight into 3rd. If your gears are only slightly notchy maybe and you're in a cold country maybe Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W as oppose to a 75W-80 - I was gonna get the Fuchs oil but had already ordered the Total and now I'm more happy to just leave it in.

If you're changing the oil it might be worth getting an oil syringe, makes the job really trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:00 pm 

r107 wrote:
brixtonboy wrote:
Have you noticed any difference in getting reverse?

And on downshifting?

Reverse is the same, downshifting is perfect now.

yellowbelly wrote:

When I used my car this morning - it was about 3 degrees Celsius outside - the shift from 1st to 2nd was a tiny bit notchy. There was no effort required to shift and the notchy feeling cleared up after a couple of miles. I'm perfectly happy with this since before it would get stuck in first, then it out wouldn't go into 2nd so I'd have to shift straight into 3rd. If your gears are only slightly notchy maybe and you're in a cold country maybe Fuchs TITAN SINTOFLUID FE SAE 75W as oppose to a 75W80 - I was gonna get the Fuchs oil but had already ordered the Total and now I'm more happy to just leave it in.

If you're changing the oil it might be worth getting an oil syringe, makes the job really trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:13 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Thanks for the update

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:39 am 

Drives: Peugeot 108
That is a relief that you have been able to solve this issue that has been bothering me for the last year and a half when I changed the clutch, the garage put 75w90 but knowing that the thinner gearbox oil has helped I can buy the gearbox oil and get it changed and hopefully get smoother gear changes [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:15 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Done some searching for prices and the Titan SintoFluid FESEA 75W costs here about €11.00 per litre.
It is API GL-4 whatever that means.

It's suitable for hot and cold climates.

My 2005-2011 Haynes gives the following info.

Quality 1.7 litres
Gearbox drain plug torque 29Nm
Gearbox filler plug torque 39Nm
Both washers should be replaced.
The drain plug one is magnetic.

Also checked the prices of syringes about €15.00
Certainly looks like it makes filling easier unless you have a pit or something similar. Or a friendly mechanic.

The box must not be overfilled.

But we all know that don't we.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:33 am 

Donaldinio wrote:
That is a relief that you have been able to solve this issue that has been bothering me for the last year and a half when I changed the clutch, the garage put 75w90 but knowing that the thinner gearbox oil has helped I can buy the gearbox oil and get it changed and hopefully get smoother gear changes [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES][SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND SMILING EYES]

I'll be really interested to know what your box is like cold with the Fuchs. Might be worth changing mine at some point in the future to it if the Total causes any significant notchyness in the winter.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am 

Drives: Peugeot 108
r107 wrote:
I'll be really interested to know what your box is like cold with the Fuchs. Might be worth changing mine at some point in the future to it if the Total causes any significant notchyness in the winter.

Yeah my box is a nightmare when she is cold but once it has warmed up fully, it works like a treat once I get the hang of fully pressing the clutch pedal in these car as been having gear changes once founded out with the help with the ones in the forum but getting it sorted tomorrow all being well so going to see if this thinner gearbox oil is going to help