C1OC - CityBugClub - Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oil change
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:49 am 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
brixtonboy wrote:
Before l answer Mr. Xmas's can somebody tell me if it's normal for the stop light to flash with the ignition on, but before the engine is turned over.
I have just got so confused this week don't know if l am coming or going.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

If you dont start the engine but leave the ignition on the stop light flashes continuously with my ECU version early 2012 auto.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 12:03 pm 

Drives: 2009 Mazda MX-5
From the friendly manual:

"Central STOP warning light:
This flashes for a few seconds each time the ignition is switched on..

.. Stop immediately if this light come on with the engine running"

Mine (2009 diesel) behaves like xmas' car, in that "a few seconds" appears to mean "until you either start the engine or switch off".

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:27 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Thanks for that answer.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:46 pm 

Last night, engine cold, seat belt connected behind me, even the interior light out.
All the dash lights were on the STOP light was flashing, l've never noticed this before.
Started the engine eyes glued to the oil can that did not flash, this time also the stop light didn't flash.
Switched off after a few seconds.
Did the same procedure again exactly the same, no warning lights came, no oil can, just the STOP light flashing before start up.
Which manual are you referring to with the warning about the light flashing for a few seconds ?
Thanks

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:04 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
Last night, engine cold, seat belt connected behind me, even the interior light out.
All the dash lights were on the STOP light was flashing, l've never noticed this before.
Started the engine eyes glued to the oil can that did not flash, this time also the stop light didn't flash.
Switched off after a few seconds.
Did the same procedure again exactly the same, no warning lights came, no oil can, just the STOP light flashing before start up.
Which manual are you referring to with the warning about the light flashing for a few seconds ?

That bit in red is exactly what my car does - brake warning, power steering warning, "engine" warning, oil, coolant lights all on with flashing red "STOP" until the engine is started at which point all except the handbrake warning go away.

The text I quoted is from the handbook that came with the car.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:12 pm 

I lied - If I simply switch on the ignition I get ABS, power steering, airbag, seatbelt, coolant temperature, oil, generator/battery, handbrake, engine warning and (flashing) STOP. Leave it for a few seconds and some of the lights go off leaving generator/battery, oil, handbrake, engine warning and seatbelt with (flashing) STOP. Start the engine and all except seatbelt and handbrake go away.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:19 pm 

Thanks for that and all the input, l guess l have just not noticed the stop light flashing and after changing the oil and filter one is a little more watchful. Especially as it flickered just after the engine started.

Just been out and carried out the same procedure as last night, the stop light was flashing but after the engine started there was no flicker.
I intend to pay attention to this over the coming days to see if there is a common denominator should it happen again.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
I intend to pay attention to this over the coming days to see if there is a common denominator should it happen again.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

Does your wee auto use much oil between changes?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 11:34 pm 

Sorry l can't really answer that because l don't keep an accurate kilometre to usage record.
I just make dam sure that it stays between the 2 dots, filling 100 mls. As l go, the mileage doesn't interest me it's a feel thing, if you know what l mean.
Must say though over the past 18 months my mileage has reduced from 6000 - 8000 pa to 1000 - 2000 pa.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:04 am 

Hi Kenny

That was useful my auto seems to not have used anything at all in 3000+ miles 40k now, and it is low viscosity knitting machine oil from main stealers pre delivery service.

I don't follow Halford's process as

- I work on ramps until I get to bottom dot.
- when I drain oil and put the sump plug back I add 2 litres of cheap oil run the engine for five
And remove the sump plug and drain - to purge more contaminants I used to run oil coolers and they retained lots even installed upside down - old habits
- continuing with Halfords process

You might not have been wrong in your original appreciations the oil can light can misbehave until a hot cold cycle purges any trapped air similar to some autos will air lock on coolant after a drain.

Noel

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next