C1OC - CityBugClub - Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club

It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Oil change
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:21 pm 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
Confirmed 'stop' if light comes on, the pressure switches can fail but still stop.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:35 pm 

Drives: MK7 fiesta metal
This is from a review of a Bosch oil filter Here: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oi ... comparison

Quote:
we have the bypass valve. It uses a torsion-type spring that is very, very difficult to depress with your bare hands when compared to the bypass valve springs found on competing models. While it could be that the Bosch bypass valve spring loosens up when it's surrounded by hot motor oil, it could also be that the bypass valve sticks. And, even if the valve operates better at warm temperatures, that still presents a problem at cold start when the bypass valve is sorely needed.

It's likely that the oil filters bypass valve is the problem. Stick with the Mann filters in future there good quality.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:52 pm 

Drives: 2009 Mazda MX-5
I wouldn't worry about an oil pressure warning light that flashes on briefly after start-up and then stays off. I *would* worry a little bit if it lit up when fully warmed up and with the engine at idle. I would worry rather more if it ever lit up during normal driving and with the level showing "normal" on the dipstick.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:35 pm 

oJU5T1No wrote:
This is from a review of a Bosch oil filter Here: http://parts.olathetoyota.com/tacoma-oi ... comparison

Quote:
we have the bypass valve. It uses a torsion-type spring that is very, very difficult to depress with your bare hands when compared to the bypass valve springs found on competing models. While it could be that the Bosch bypass valve spring loosens up when it's surrounded by hot motor oil, it could also be that the bypass valve sticks. And, even if the valve operates better at warm temperatures, that still presents a problem at cold start when the bypass valve is sorely needed.

It's likely that the oil filters bypass valve is the problem. Stick with the Mann filters in future there good quality.

In the past the oil pressure switch or gauge was taken off upstream ie before the filter and the bypass triped a differing warning lamp when a cartridge filter was used rather than the throw away can of today.
But a quality filter is desirable as if the filter malfunctions kiss the engine goodbye.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:46 pm 

oJU5T1No wrote:

Quote:

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of the bypass valve in the filter. It is designed to ensure that the oil continues to circulate as normal (albeit in a dirty state) even if the filter is clogged. Failure of said valve (whether it fails "open" or "closed" will not result in low oil pressure (which is what triggers the oil pressure warning lamp). If anything, it might result in an excessively high oil pressure (which would not illuminate the oil pressure warning lamp). Low oil pressure results from worn oil pumps, worn crankshaft bearings, clogged oil pick-ups or tired oil (or of the wrong - too thin - viscosity). Or from too little oil or broken/leaking pipework/galleries.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm 

Roymondo wrote:
oJU5T1No wrote:

Quote:

I think you are misunderstanding the purpose of the bypass valve in the filter. It is designed to ensure that the oil continues to circulate as normal (albeit in a dirty state) even if the filter is clogged. Failure of said valve (whether it fails "open" or "closed" will not result in low oil pressure (which is what triggers the oil pressure warning lamp). If anything, it might result in an excessively high oil pressure (which would not illuminate the oil pressure warning lamp). Low oil pressure results from worn oil pumps, worn crankshaft bearings, clogged oil pick-ups or tired oil (or of the wrong - too thin - viscosity). Or from too little oil or broken/leaking pipework/galleries.

True but...
If we are being exact there is also normally a pressure relief valve in the engine which dumps excess high pressure oil back into sump unfiltered.

As well the filters can have anti syphon valves eg to avoid delays in oil supply on start up.

But it is very rare for a filter to fail but just keep the receipt.

Post subject: Oil change
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:44 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Having not driven the last few days nothing changed this morning, l had previously ordered a Mann filter l thought b'locks ender ous mickey mouse.
This afternoon the oil was warm and it did not happen, I just know this is a faulty Bosch filter.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 am 

brixtonboy wrote:
Having not driven the last few days nothing changed this morning, l had previously ordered a Mann filter l thought b'locks ender ous mickey mouse.
This afternoon the oil was warm and it did not happen, I just know this is a faulty Bosch filter.

Gregory Isaacs r.i.p.

If it does not happen again it was just air trapped. You let it drain for too long or the new oil too thick.
If it happens again it is the pressure relief valve in the engine misbehaveing, some can be annoying don't drive with light on.
Typically a piston in a cylinder on a spring if the pressure is too high the piston compresses a spring until a port in the cylinder opens up and excess is dumped into sump.
Grit between piston and cylinder can slow response.
Don't bip throttle on start up leave the auto choke to deal with things.
Normally they are reliable using cone form rather than piston.

Change the filter if you want.

You did not say what 5w-20 you used ie 10w-40, the auto is ok on 0w-20...

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 12:23 pm 

Drives: C1 1.2 2015
Is it flashing or flickering (as in not fully extinguishing before it re-illuminates).
Flickering would be bad.

Olly

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 3:20 pm 

What is the part number of the Bosch filter that you are using? The correct filter has both a non-return valve and a by-pass valve. I suspect the one you have fitted doesn't have the non-return valve.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next