Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:52 pm 

My daughters 107 seems to get through a lot of oil, I have not measured the exact amount as I rarely get to see it as she is never home but every time I check it which is approx every 2 weeks it needs topping up.
There are no oil patches on the drive or visible leaks and it doesn't smoke from the exhaust or have any black on the bumper. The engine does sound terribly harsh and tappy when cold but sounds sweet as a nut when warmed up.
I am guessing piston rings but it has only done 84k and with a decent service history and I would have thought that I would be able to see smoke from the exhaust especially on higher revs but it is clear, any other suggestions or am I right in thinking piston rings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:13 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Lots of us have to do the same thing. Can you give us more info. Mileage and oil used ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:34 pm 

Whilst having a think about how much oil I have bought compared to the mileage she has done, I would estimate that it is using approx 1ltr for every 1k miles done.
Is this considered normal or excessive.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:09 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
That does strike me as high. I don't know if these cars have a reputation as oil burners or not but I've owned plenty of cars that haven't used any significant volume of oil between services (i.e. thousands of miles).

Mind you, at the other end of the scale, my MR2 is definitely an oil burner and I'm throwing almost as much oil into the engine as I am petrol into the tank. A few hundred miles and I sometimes need to top up by a litre. I need to get it fixed. I don't think it's a small job though. :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:18 pm 

Drives: 107 sportium 2012
That would be high. I'm on my second 107, the first one up to about 70k never used a drop between services, this one is at 54k, again not a drop between services. I use decent oil, 5W30 fully synthetic, and always serviced by ourselves. If I were using that much I would be investigating where from. The engines are tough units, the only real weak points on them are clutches and water pumps.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

2012 107 sportium x2, black and white
1998 xantia 1.9td veg burner
1993 pug205 1.6 auto

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:38 pm 

Drives: 107 Urban '09
Considering to fill it you need a tad over 3L of oil and you're burning a third of that in 1K, you've definitely got an issue there. I've only had to top it off once and that was from a leaky sump plug (guess who had to powerwash the drive...), its basically been bang on the numbers ever since. I'd definitely get it checked out if you can't see an obvious fault yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:34 pm 

Looks as if I had better get it looked at then if my daughter is ever home long enough for me to prise it off of her.
No idea what it could be though as no tell tell signs anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:47 pm 

Drives: C1 1.2 Flair 2015
Mine used 250ml in 6k miles. Is the radiator water contaminated?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:21 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Mine has about 90,000 on the clock and although these cars are cars are pain to check perfectly, well mine is, l reckon l'm using about a litre. Also no oil anywhere. No smoke, plugs are fine and the oil is 5w 30 fully synth. Costs and arm and leg.
Oh and there is no oil in the antifreeze mixture. This has been like it since I have owned the car 4 years now l think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:22 pm 

Nope no signs of any water contamination although I have also started to notice that it is also losing some water although not a lot, I am guessing water pump leaking then, add that to the starter that is getting more and more hit and miss as to how many times it will take to engage and 2 front tyres needed soon and I will be having quite a bill, bloody kids lol.