Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Changed Gearbox Oil
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm 

Drives: C1
I changed the gearbox oil today as no recored of it being done.
Used the Comma 75w80 gl4 fully synthetic oil.
Don’t know if it will make a difference but with 87k on clock it can’t harm it
It felt smoother but may have been placebo effect. The stuff that came out was very black indeed so think the change was a good idea
Will report back after a good run tomorrow
Roseyp

Post subject: Re: Changed Gearbox Oil
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm 

Drives: C1
Well done, Easy cars to work on. If you have AC check the filter under passenger side of dashboard. Allways gets forgotten.

You will only have a filter if you have AC.

Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:29 am 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
In our experience (two C1s) the cars get better and better as you work your way through the service schedules.

Unfortunately, historically, the Bugs tended to be owned by people who don't understand the importance of regular servicing. Mine came with "a full service history" but I have my doubts. My main concern was sludge buildup in the engine, varnish and gunge. I've ran a campaign of gently cleaning it up - didn't want to dislodge it all in one go and start blocking oil-ways. I've used a combination of Wynns Hydraulic Lifter Cleaner, which seems to be okay to add to oil on an ongoing basis (I think that it just boosts the detergents that are already in the oil). I've also done a gentle oil flush - Wynns again, but only half a can in a warm engine, idle for 15-20 minutes with no load and then drain. Just to be on the safe side I then fill up with fresh oil to flush out, idle for another 15-20 minutes and then drain again, then change filter and add oil as normal. The first time I did this I was astonished as how much gunk came out, now just treat it as part of an ongoing routine. There's a limit to what you can do without pulling the engine apart, but this is easy and inexpensive to do.

The Dons service guide is good - Major, Intermediate and Minor (look it up on here if you've not already found it). I've just put it into a spreadsheet, which makes it easy to keep track of where you are up to, particularly if you don't manage to do everything on the same day (I might do a service over a couple of weeks, depending on time and weather).

Coolant is another one that tends to get forgotten, so it's worth doing just so that you know where you are up to. The only outstanding job I have is swapping the aux belt - looks okay but I have no idea how old it is. Not a difficult job, just a pain to get to.

Keep up the good work :-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:14 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Obviously the quality of the products one uses for the services comes into question. The club shop is known for quality products, naturally you can buy cheaper ones online. I'm guessing that when Don wrote the spreadsheet the plugs were mentioned.
Nowadays we use lrldium plugs they cost more but last longer. A good way to save money on services.
Have fun.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm 

Drives: VW Touareg
brixtonboy wrote:
Obviously the quality of the products one uses for the services comes into question. The club shop is known for quality products, naturally you can buy cheaper ones online. I'm guessing that when Don wrote the spreadsheet the plugs were mentioned.
Nowadays we use lrldium plugs they cost more but last longer. A good way to save money on services.
Have fun.

Iridium plugs may last longer but the recommendation here seems to be to change them more often - Peugeot say to replace them at 40,000 miles / 4 years under normal conditions or 24,000 miles / 4 years under arduous conditions http://downloads.clickedit.co.uk/5542/P ... 20Info.pdf and similarly Peugeot don't specify a gearbox oil change in normal conditions, just every 36,000 miles in arduous conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:31 pm 

Some V6 and V8 car in States keep them in for over over 100,000 miles. No l'm not saying it's a good idea a good thing to do just stating a fact.
Not suggesting we do this on our baby cars either.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:56 pm 

I don't know that much about spark plugs, so just tend to stick with what Roc sends out (which I think are copper). The Don schedule suggests new plugs every 20,000 miles or two years. A level check is suggested for gear oil every 40,000 miles or four years - but I would interpret that as replace ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:28 pm 

I would go along with that to. Must admit l thought it was every 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:06 am 

I'd never remember swapping something every ten years - half the time I don't know what day it is! :-)

I'm not that clued up on oil, but I can imagine all those clever long molecules in gear oil being chopped up by the cogs over time. Four years is the longest cycle I work to and it's an easy and straightforward job, so will just slot it in then (2022 next time it is due). I might be being a bit premature, but better than forgetting about it altogether I suppose. On the Bugs, it seems a clutch replacement includes changing the gear oil, so that probably is the most common reason for a change (certainly was in my case - 2018) ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:29 pm 

I just use a pen and paper or my iPad. And record all the stuff that I do or that gets done by my garage. For example it's booked in later in the month for new steam cleaning and Undersealing. He will also check for any damage or rust and repair as required.
Trust over the years allows me this with him and his son. I need not worry.