Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:36 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Do you have an android phone or tablet?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:38 am 

Drives: 07 Aygo 5d Petrol
I know it's been ages, but any follow up on this post? I'm having similar issues, same code.

Went on to change the oil on my 1.0 2007 Aygo, followed the manual's 5W30 recommendation and definitely did not put more than 3L. Not a lot of oil came out tbh (~1.5L), although I was checking every other month only, since I could not see or smell any oil being burnt.

Unfortunately, on the same day, I put gas in a new gas station from a shady brand that I have later found out to have more than a couple of complaints online for having diesel mixed into their gasoline.

So now I'm not exactly sure why I'm getting the fault code - burning oil or bad gasoline. Important notes:

- the oil has gone down about 200mL in 1000km after service;
- the air filter was replaced at the same time and it is looking fine;
- I had replaced the spark plugs 2k km prior to the oil change. Everything was fine by then;
- I get no other codes other than P0420;
- There is still a dark gray smoke coming out of the exhaust, mostly visible with high revs;
- I've got the code after I emptied the tank with the shady gasoline, and filled with Shell V-power;
- My car has 113k km.

Was thinking of trying the stop smoke product and the catclean, then tracking what happens both to the oil level and smoke from the back.

P.S.: I live in Denmark, so the weather is somewhat similar to the UK I guess.

Edit: the oil that I have on might not be appropriate, although it is 5W30. Total Future NFC 9000 5W30 (ACEA A5/B5, API CF/SL). Just to be sure, and since I would have to top it up anyways, I just purchased the recommended oil and filter from the c1oc store, plus the catcleaner. Let's see what happens after that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:03 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
The oil will be fine, C2/C3 is preferred to A5/B5 but it wont cause any issues.

It's probable you need to replace the oxygen sensors, usually the pre cat one is fried and running too rich.

https://citybugstore.co.uk/citroen-c1-0 ... t-cat.html

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:12 am 

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200628_100028_org.prowl.torquefree.jpg
Screenshot_20200628_100028_org.prowl.torquefree.jpg [ 1.09 MiB | Viewed 216 times ]

Attachment:
Screenshot_20200628_100116_org.prowl.torquefree.jpg
Screenshot_20200628_100116_org.prowl.torquefree.jpg [ 1.11 MiB | Viewed 215 times ]

Okay, just a quick follow up, my pre cat 02 sensor seems to be working fine, with a voltage peak of 0,7 at idle at 0,9 under load. As for the second one, well... At idle it behaves as expected, with little to no fluctuations. Under ANY load, it basically mirrors sensor 1 (both cases attached), indicating that the cat is not doing its job.

I still get the occasional dark-ish gray fumes and smell from the exhaust (pretty much every time driving off from a stop light). Will try catclean as soon as it arrives.

Edit: fuel consumption sits consistently at 5l/100km (around 56mpg).

Any thoughts on any of that? If catclean doesn't work, maybe I should run a compression test and then go from there to see if I should get a new cat or not.

Thanks folks : )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:58 pm 

An update to my last post: while the catclean from the forum store doesnt arrive, I bought a local one to test. And, to my surprise... the CEL is not coming back on. When I emptied my tank from the shady fuel and filled it up with v-power, it took 30km for the light to come on. Then, I wanted to check if the cat would get less contaminated with time, so every time it came back, i'd check how long it had taken. Got 40km, then 60km and, with the cleaner, already at 150km and nothing on.

So, hopefully, it really was bad fuel, and I am successfully cleaning my cat little by little.

I'll post soon new images from the O2 sensors to see if the post-cat one starts behaving more as expected.

Last edited by Germani on Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:08 pm 

Drives: Aygo
interesting.
look forward to the updated o2 sensor readings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:14 am 

So there it is! :thumbs:
Post cat 02 looks happy now, barely any light gray smoke from the exhaust. Some important info:

- The product I used was Lindemann system cleaner, and can be found at thansen.dk (just for reference, I'll take a picture of it later if anyone is interested);
- The gas station was Ingo (in case you visit Denmark). Its reviews and mixed fuel complaints may be found on trustpilot.com.

Mechanic shops were obviously giving me the "cut down the tree if the branch is rotten" solutions, with new cat converter and sensors. Easily 700 GBP (their price). Cleaner was 10 bucks.

Hopefully it will last for a few months, I'm at peace with investing in a new cat converter next year if I have to. Plus, my next "MOT" is only on December 2021.

Hope this can be helpful to others!

Attachments:
File comment: Engine at operating temp. and 2500rpm.
2500rpm.jpg
2500rpm.jpg [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 84 times ]
File comment: Engine at operating temp. and idling.
idling.jpg
idling.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 85 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:59 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Germani wrote:
So there it is! :thumbs:
Post cat 02 looks happy now, barely any light gray smoke from the exhaust.

That's a great result :D

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant