Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:34 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 2009
I've already swapped for a Sony head unit and upgraded the dash speakers. Next step will be speakers for the rear.

I think I'll be OK drilling holes in the parcel shelf, threading the cables through and all that malarkey.

However, the harness is connected to a "Bluetooth Parrot" thingy (fitted by last owner), making the insides look like meaningless spaghetti - I may rip this out as my head unit has bluetooth already, but nervously unsure what might break.

Attachment:
wires.jpg
wires.jpg [ 195.13 KiB | Viewed 318 times ]

The pic was from when I changed the head unit)-- I think I can work out the colours, but I can't work out where they lead as it doesn't have rear speakers -- is it OK to just splice into them?

The speakers haven't arrived yet, so I have some time to learn what I'm doing -- does any of the above mean anything to anyone? :?

Thank you! :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:35 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
From your pic, looks like you have fully wired ISO speaker connector (front and rear) speakers where as the original stereo wiring only had the front speaker wires, usually what I suggest is to get a fully wired ISO speaker connector adapter (one with plugs/connectors both ends), plug in the original speaker connector to the new fully wired ISO speaker adapter so front speaker are effectively pass-thru and as you say only cut/splice into the rear speaker wires on the fully wired speaker connector/adapter, handily looks like your 'parrot' harness will do the job just as well, happy days!

So, what you plan to do looks ok, may be you can trace back 'parrot' harness to find the original stereo wiring just to confirm.

If you need to rip it out because of issues, hard to tell from pic how easy/hard that will be and if you need to can you do it and retain the fully wired ISO speaker part, which would be handy.

If you want the rear speaker wire positions check your owners manual, if you got one, it was in in mine, about page 79 I think, but think they are positions (B1, B2, B7, B8).

Finally have search on here as lots peeps added rear speakers, plenty of info on the site.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 am 

Steve107 wrote:
From your pic, looks like you have fully wired ISO speaker connector (front and rear) speakers where as the original stereo wiring only had the front speaker wires, usually what I suggest is to get a fully wired ISO speaker connector adapter (one with plugs/connectors both ends), plug in the original speaker connector to the new fully wired ISO speaker adapter so front speaker are effectively pass-thru and as you say only cut/splice into the rear speaker wires on the fully wired speaker connector/adapter, handily looks like your 'parrot' harness will do the job just as well, happy days!
Yeah I thought of that as an idea, I just don't think I've seen a 'pass through' adaptor before. They have to exist though.

Steve107 wrote:
So, what you plan to do looks ok, may be you can trace back 'parrot' harness to find the original stereo wiring just to confirm.
I think that if I splice into it, then the 'Parrot' system will only sound from the front speakers, which may actually be a bonus.

Steve107 wrote:
If you need to rip it out because of issues, hard to tell from pic how easy/hard that will be and if you need to can you do it and retain the fully wired ISO speaker part, which would be handy.
Fortunately my phone allows connection to multiple devices - so I can have bluetooth audio on the head unit and bluetooth calling on the Parrot Device. It's a bit pointless, but I may just leave it.

Steve107 wrote:
If you want the rear speaker wire positions check your owners manual, if you got one, it was in in mine, about page 79 I think, but think they are positions (B1, B2, B7, B8).
Good thinking! I found a blog entry that told me the colours for the front speaker wires -- didn't occur to me to look in the book! :D

Steve107 wrote:
Finally have search on here as lots peeps added rear speakers, plenty of info on the site.
Yeah, I was searching before I posted -- not really anything specific to me, but it taught me how to dismantle the dash.

The speakers are due to arrive today, so as long as I get time I'll be having a thorough look inside again -- hopefully without breaking anything!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:33 pm 

No worries, when I said 'pass-thru' it's not a type of adapter as such, I was referring to the fact that you are not interrupting the flow of the front speaker wiring to make them work, i.e. not cutting/splicing into it, they just run from original speaker wiring plug thru the parrot adapter into the stereo, where as for the rear speaker wires you will have to physically cut/splice into the 'parrot' adapter rear speaker wires to get them to work.

Just one thing to be aware of, don't know what rear speakers you have bought, but a lot speaker sets now come with minimal wiring as they assume you replacing existing speakers, so you may have to buy additional speaker wire to run length of the car.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:21 pm 

Steve107 wrote:
No worries, when I said 'pass-thru' it's not a type of adapter as such, I was referring to the fact that you are not interrupting the flow of the front speaker wiring to make them work, i.e. not cutting/splicing into it, they just run from original speaker wiring plug thru the parrot adapter into the stereo, where as for the rear speaker wires you will have to physically cut/splice into the 'parrot' adapter rear speaker wires to get them to work.
Ah gotcha. Hopefully they'll arrive soon and I can get to work on it.

Steve107 wrote:
Just one thing to be aware of, don't know what rear speakers you have bought, but a lot speaker sets now come with minimal wiring as they assume you replacing existing speakers, so you may have to buy additional speaker wire to run length of the car.

I've bought Alpine SPG-17C2s along with 10 meters of extra cable + connectors -- I *think* that should be enough, considering the twists and turns, but there's a Halfords nearby if I need more.

https://amzn.to/2Q064dI

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:13 pm 

Done it! :D

Attachment:
fitted.jpg
fitted.jpg [ 203.89 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

Discovered that the harness was wired into the 'Bluetooth Parrot' kit (blue box top right), so spliced into the wires on that for now and it seems to work fine.

Eventually I'll get rid of it completely and replace it with something proper, but for today I just wanted music. 8-)

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 pm 

Nice one, from your pic that looks spot on and as you say works a treat.

Beauty of our little cars are they are fairly simple design, same with standard stereo connections being standard ISO, so what they commonly call a 'universal ISO connector' should do the job, should you decide to tidy up and rip out the parrot harness. You may only need the brown speaker part, plug in the original stereo speaker connector (with front speaker wiring) then modify same way you did on the parrot harness to make the rear speakers work.

Something along the lines of these :-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:27 am 

Steve107 wrote:
Beauty of our little cars are they are fairly simple design
This is my 6th Citroen. Previously I've had the following...

Citroen AX TRE 1.1 (first car)
Citroen AX GT 1.4 (amazing little car)
Citroen Berlingo Multispace Forte 1.9D (bulletproof)
Citroen Pluriel 1.3 (piece of crap to be honest)
Citroen Berlingo Multispace Desire 1.6HDI (also bulletproof)

I've always liked the relative simplicity of Citroens -- and the more I play with this, the more I realise this is potentially as simple as the AXs that I owned in the 1990s!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:32 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Messyeater wrote:
Citroen AX GT 1.4 (amazing little car)

I've always liked the relative simplicity of Citroens -- and the more I play with this, the more I realise this is potentially as simple as the AXs that I owned in the 1990s!

I too remember the AX GT - but for a very different reason, it was the main demonstrator car for the Active Noise Control (ANC) system that I was working on in the late 1980's & early 1990's while working for an automotive consultancy. It appeared on the Channel 4 Breakfast programme with Chris Evans!

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:35 pm 

I'd get another AX GT, except I'm on the edge of the London Ultra Low Emissions Zone and it wouldn't be compliant. :/