Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:11 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 2008
Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased my first car, a 2008 Peugeot 107 (buzzing!). I noticed that te stereo that came with the car (Sony MEXN4100BT) had a subwoofer function, and then realised that there was already a subwoofer (Clarion SRV313) had already been installed under the driver’s seat.

This speaker has a “Remote control” input plugged in, a “audio input” plugged in and a “power” plugged in already, with all cables running into the car through a hold in the carpet. However, when i turn the radio on (everything works normally), the subwoofer “on” light does not illuminate and no sound is produced.

I have gathered that the power supply to the speaker is taken from the yellow cable (constantly on) that also powers the stereo itself, but is there a fuse that may have blown between the speaker and the stereo?!

Any help would be greatly appreciated, including finding the cabling that actually runs to the speaker, and maybe even the “remote control” (where a typical installer would leave this in the car).

Thank you guys so much :))

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
Quote:
I have gathered that the power supply to the speaker is taken from the yellow cable (constantly on) that also powers the stereo itself, but is there a fuse that may have blown between the speaker and the stereo?!

I found that hard to believe. Most subwoofers are powered by the yellow cable running from the battery. Can you check the battery and see if you find the yellow cable attached to the red pin of the battery? The second place to power the subwoofer is the fuse box.

Four things come to mind if the subwoofer doesn't power on:

- The power cable (yellow) is disconnected somewhere, you could measure with a multimeter at the end of the cable (subwoofer side)
- The remote cable (blue) is disconnected somewhere. If the remote cable is disonnected, the subwoofer won't get the 'power on' signal
- The ground cable (black) is disconnected or lose. This is the cable that is tightened to a bolt that connects to the chassis. Without ground the subwoofer won't turn on.
- A fuse is blown, if the power cable (yellow) is connected to the battery there should always be a fuse in the yellow cable
Or
- A fuse is blown, there is a fuse (probably 10A) in the subwoofer, most of the times alongside the connectors.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:47 am 

NoscopeDog wrote:
Quote:

I found that hard to believe. Most subwoofers are powered by the yellow cable running from the battery. Can you check the battery and see if you find the yellow cable attached to the red pin of the battery? The second place to power the subwoofer is the fuse box.

Four things come to mind if the subwoofer doesn't power on:

- The power cable (yellow) is disconnected somewhere, you could measure with a multimeter at the end of the cable (subwoofer side)
- The remote cable (blue) is disconnected somewhere. If the remote cable is disonnected, the subwoofer won't get the 'power on' signal
- The ground cable (black) is disconnected or lose. This is the cable that is tightened to a bolt that connects to the chassis. Without ground the subwoofer won't turn on.
- A fuse is blown, if the power cable (yellow) is connected to the battery there should always be a fuse in the yellow cable
Or
- A fuse is blown, there is a fuse (probably 10A) in the subwoofer, most of the times alongside the connectors.

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

The yellow cable is indeed connected to the red terminal on the battery in the engine, and as I have said before, the head unit and normal speakers work fine. I will get my multimeter and see if there is any current in the wire as my first point of call.

I do believe that a fuse has blown somewhere, so how would I go about replacing it? I am going to pick up a 10A fuse on the way home today, hopefully from screwfix or hickleys in town. Anything I should look out for when buying?

Regarding the blue “remote” wire, where would this plug into? And how would I check if it was disconnected? This may be the issue...

I have already checked the ground wire, it’s secured to the body of the car perfectly still.

Yet again thanks so much :)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:16 am 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
The remote wire will connect to the head unit and sends the signal to turn on the sub.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:31 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
+1 to all of the good advice above.

You should also find that there is an in-line fuse on the direct +ve feed from the battery, ideally very close to the +ve battery terminal in the engine compartment. This is because sub- woofers can draw some serious current and you need to minimise the un-fused run of cable, which will be quite substantial in itself - so easy to spot. Earthing problems can cause much merriment in cars, so unbolt the ground connection and give it a good clean to be on the safe side. Just be methodical and use a test bulb or a multi-meter (about £10) to work your way through the circuits. Definitely worth the effort - I have an under-seat SW in my C1 and it makes a big difference :-)

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:51 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
Like Roc says the remote cable (blue) should be connected to the headunit. Most of the time it is marked as 'remote wire' or 'remote control' or 'pwrd antenna'.

Like this:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 4:15 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
All good info above, depends how subwoofer was wired in, I have underseat one fitted and when did mine I ran seperate fused wire from battery, the inline fuse may be blade type fuse or a glass long type usually located close to main car battery. Worth checking the 'quality' of the remote control wire, I bought a supposed 'proper' amp wiring kit, but the supplied blue remote control wire was very thin i.e. cr*p! and caused my Kenwood sub to keep cutting in and out. I changed the blue control wire for thicker wire and it worked perfect ever since.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:32 pm 

Hi guys, got home today and went out and bought some keys to remove the stereo, and realised that the wires leading to the sub weren’t even plugged in! Quickly connected them all together and now there is power to the sub (the light is on).

However, still no audio. I have a multimeter and checked that there was sound getting to the sub through the rear speaker wires, and all the wires are fine.

I think the issue is now the sub itself (not your expertise i know!), and I have discovered that the “remote control” cable has been cut short, and so I will need to order another remote. I do believe this is the issue in the situation now (to adjust the gain etc).

However, if you guys see any other issue in the situation, please do let me know!!

(This includes possible wiring of a phono cable from the headunit to the sub!)

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:45 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
Just be methodical. Depending on your HU you may have a dedicated SW feed or may need to use the rear speaker feed. Your existing audio cabling should include a 2 into 1 phono lead - shout up if that's missing and we can give you some suggestions for sourcing. Once you've sorted out your remote feed so that the SW switches on you will have to do/check a little config on the HU - varies from one unit to another but, essentially, you will need to tell it that there is a SW attached (and where) and, possibly, switch the low filter on for it (may already be done). You may have a filter on the SW, in which case you can just send the whole lot to it and it will sort it out for you :-)