Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Fitting springs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:59 am 

Drives: Toyota Aygo
Hi All,

Sure it’s been asked before, but can’t find it. I have some 35mm lowering springs to fit to my 2013 Aygo, can I fit this at home and if so how? Also do I need a spring compressor tool to fit the springs as I don’t have one

Many thanks
Nick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Fitting springs
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:38 pm 

Drives: Aygo 2009
last year I managed to reseat the rubber things under the springs that had gone off center... I unbolted the shocks, then I slowly jacked up the rear, until there was almost no weight on the springs. I'm not 100% sure but I think there are good chances that in this way you can do the job without compressing the springs (which is also quite dangerous...)... just don't undo the shocks when the wheels are in the air! :-) do it before, so that you'll use the car's weight as a spring compressor.

best,

RL

PS: btw: isn't the car already low enough? :-)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Hi firstly l need to say l have never don't this job. On your Ebay UK compressors costs less than £20 for a pair. I would not recommend doing this work without them.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:04 pm 

Drives: was VTR 2009
It’s not a hard job if you are familiar with working on cars, but remember that a big spring under compression stores a surprising amount of energy, enough to take your face off if it lets go unexpectedly.

Always use a set of proper spring compressors when taking on this kind of task, it’s just not worth the risk of trying some backstreet garage cheapie method just to avoid buying or borrowing the proper tool.

Like any job, please consider your own safety and make sure you’ve got all the kit before cracking on, the whole job will be easier and more enjoyable. A Haynes manual would be your friend here, like the spring compressors, they are cheap and will repay you many times over in saved garage bills.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:20 am 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
ade33 wrote:
It’s not a hard job if you are familiar with working on cars, but remember that a big spring under compression stores a surprising amount of energy, enough to take your face off if it lets go unexpectedly.

Always use a set of proper spring compressors when taking on this kind of task, it’s just not worth the risk of trying some backstreet garage cheapie method just to avoid buying or borrowing the proper tool.

Like any job, please consider your own safety and make sure you’ve got all the kit before cracking on, the whole job will be easier and more enjoyable. A Haynes manual would be your friend here, like the spring compressors, they are cheap and will repay you many times over in saved garage bills.

Invest in Haynes manual!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:59 pm 

Thanks guys, after all the warnings, I may have to do it with some support from a friend just to make sure I do it right

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Glad you took the advice. There are many jobs on cars you can do alone, just by disconnecting the battery. Springs are not one of them. Even you and your friend need to heed the warnings above.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:58 pm 

My friend is a mechanic, but have been using him a lot on my Aygo was orginally hoping to try and do the springs alone, but looks like I will have to call on him... again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:56 pm 

Drives: Aygo 2009
working on springs is surely dangerous, but in this case, if you undo the shocks and jack up the rear until the springs are free, there is really little that could go wrong... once they are free from weight and fully extended, they can't do you any harm, you can replace them, carefully lower the car, check if the springs went correctly in place, then bolt the shocks again.

best,

RL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:34 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Rasmus Lino wrote:
carefully lower the car, check if the springs went correctly in place

Check the springs are correctly seated WHILE lowering the car, otherwise the spring could pop out and injure you and/or damage the car.

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance estate