Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:56 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 2018
Hi everyone.Im new to the forums.Please could members let me know if they have any knowledge on this issue.I purchased a brand new white C1 3 door 68bhp in march this year.The car was already in the showroom.When I came to pick the car up from the dealer I pointed out that the front and rear bumpers appeared to be a different shade of white to the rest of the car.Something that I hadnt noticed under the lights in the showroom.I was told that this was normal as the bumpers are made of plastic and the body is metal so the paint doesnt exactly match up.I would have thought that in 2018 this wouldnt be a problem for a large car manufacturer.Has anyone else had this problem or know anything more about it please.Thankyou.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:26 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
Still common on many cars.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:46 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
I've spoken to a few car paint shops over the last couple of years for various reasons (and I used to be in the industrial painting business) and they've all said that matching paint across plastic/metal parts is very difficult.

I was even there when they sprayed one of my cars last spring and I know that it was well prepped, primed, undercoated and that the colour coat was all the same. However, I was looking at the car in the sun today and I could clearly see that the front and rear plastic bumpers were a slightly different colour to the metal body parts.

Some colours and paint types are more prone to obvious differences but, yes, it is a thing that happens. It shouldn't be too bad though so if you think the difference is excessive, it might be worth pursuing. Perhaps find an independent paint shop and ask if they think the difference is unusual?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 2018
Thanks for the advice.The car looked perfect in the showroom but when it was outside in the natural light I could see the difference straight away.I think with it being white it makes it much more noticeable.When I put it to the car salesman and the body shop manager at the dealer they said that it was an industry wide problem and not just a citroen issue.They said that it wouldnt be covered under the warranty because the paint is within citroen tolerances.I will post some pics soon to see what people think.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 am 

White is certainly one of the colours where this can happen quite easily. Yellow is also a very common culprit.

Pics may or may not show the difference. It's actually very hard to get accurate colour representation on a photo (particularly digital) and modern flat monitors show huge colour variance too. Still worth posting though.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 4:22 pm 

Drives: 2007/57 Smart Fortwo
Someone on the Smart car forums moaning about a similar issue...

http://www.thesmartclub.com/board/showthread.php?30365-Poor-colour-match-on-black-453

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
Luggage Compartment Cover
Softouch Automatic Gear Programme
Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 pm 

Interesting link. That almost seems as if the colours are different by design though, rather than meant to match but not doing so. I could have misunderstood though.