Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:12 pm 

Drives: 2010 - C1 VTR
Steve107 wrote:
what does MOT guy do, get their calculator out! or log a much higher or lower figure from new secondhand speedo!

According to my mechanic friend, nothing. He was so not concerned. The record is there both past and present readings and if you can explain (should someone even pick up on it) you’re golden. The key is not to misrepresent the mileage to the prospective buyer which to my understanding is illegal. Since I won’t, I have zero to worry about.

All that said, since I am a master criminal, l will be fitting a low mileage speedo (maybe) and cashing in. :D

Thanks for the contribution Steve.

Baz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 pm 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
BarryF wrote:
BarryF wrote:
The centre hazard button does (did) operate the two indicator leds on the speedo when its turned on.
The hazard switch does not illuminate! If you get contact cleaner use it on all the speedo plugs and sockets mate them leave and repeat several times! I need to treat my hazard switch as it goes intermittent regular!

Thanks mate. Will definitely give it a go. How do you deal with the female side of the switch? I have never needed to use switch cleaner before..... l can see you can just give it a blast but how do you get the resulting cr#p out of the connector? Apologies for a lame question.

Baz

Undo spray male and female then mate leave for interval try
Repeat until you get result
There should not be much contamination
The aerosol evaporates

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:47 am 

Thanks Xmas. Appreciate it.

Baz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:28 am 

BarryF wrote:
Thanks Xmas. Appreciate it.

Baz

Please tell us how you progressed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:02 pm 

Will do mate. Probably have a session this weekend. Halfords seem to stock a switch cleaner, fairly cheap too.

Cheers,

Baz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:29 pm 

So, went bat poo mental on my connectors with the switch cleaner. I fully expected the errant left turn indicator to burst into life when it was all reconnected. Sadly, it didn’t. Tried again but same result. Pity, but worth a try.

So, the idea now is to source a replacement speedo. Would like to repair mine but think my soldering iron is too industrial (needs a fine tip).

Thanks again to all for your contributions.

Baz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:45 pm 

BarryF wrote:
So, went bat poo mental on my connectors with the switch cleaner. I fully expected the errant left turn indicator to burst into life when it was all reconnected. Sadly, it didn’t. Tried again but same result. Pity, but worth a try.

So, the idea now is to source a replacement speedo. Would like to repair mine but think my soldering iron is too industrial (needs a fine tip).

Thanks again to all for your contributions.

Baz

Try the aerosol again! You have invested in the aerosol can!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:55 am 

So, emptied the tin of switch cleaner and the left turn led refuses to light up. Bought myself a Cheepo speedo for £10 (now fitted) and am about to attempt a fix.... let’s see.

Thanks for all help and support on this one.

Baz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:20 pm 

Drives: Citroen c1 vtr 2011
Easy enough to un solder and replace old board in he new speedo, if you gonna do it I would suggest getting a soldering iron with a temp control, can pick them up for like £20 for a cheap one! And just be careful, unsoldered mine to change the lights. If not there are plenty of people around that offer a “clocking” service for this exact reason, to rest mileage if you have to get a new cluster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:11 pm 

Luke4398 wrote:
Easy enough to un solder and replace old board in he new speedo, if you gonna do it I would suggest getting a soldering iron with a temp control, can pick them up for like £20 for a cheap one! And just be careful, unsoldered mine to change the lights. If not there are plenty of people around that offer a “clocking” service for this exact reason, to rest mileage if you have to get a new cluster

Thanks mate, I appreciate your input.

So (drum roll) ‘brain surgery’ on the speedo..... Having invested in some kit to carry out the task and with the salvage speedo working well, I went for it - nothing to lose although I wanted to succeed!!

Took my time and was (mostly) careful (only one burnt finger) and am pleased to report job done! I replaced both turn leds (in case of a mismatch in light output). Looks the mutts. So happy.

Big thanks to all, especially Doz with his walk through. YouTube tutorials helped loads too, since I have never done anything like this before (needed to build some knowledge/confidence).

Cheers again all,

Baz