Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users please type the text from the Captcha Box as it is written.

It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 6:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: For want of an led...
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:11 pm 

Drives: 2010 - C1 VTR
Hi there.

I understand that the instrument cluster on my 2010 C1 bug is scrap, following the failure of the left turn indicator led. Such a waste for a component costing pennies....

I rang the Citroen garage who want £250 for a replacement plus labour! I can see some used ones on flea bay and may take a punt...

Question is, does the instrument cluster retain mileage detail or it it ‘dumb’?

Unrelated, but does the red hazard button have an light (when activated)? I never noticed before but mine doesn’t illuminate and l wonder if it should! :shock: :D

Thanks in advance.

Baz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
the mileage is stored in the speedo, I had to replace my clocks after a soldering incident.

when you buy a new speedo you should get it reset to the relevant mileage, I got a guy in a van to come and reprogram the clocks in mine as it was 50k Miles off what it should have been, only cost around £50 for the guys labour and £20 for the new speedo

hazards should light up yes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm 

Thanks a million John. I was hoping to just swap the thing out but hey ho. I was also wondering about the doability of changing the led. Only question is can you get at the relevant circuit board and how easy is it to source a new led. I have no problem giving the soldering iron a go....

Any idea about where you might get the specification of the led John?

Cheers and thanks again,

Baz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
yes you could do it yourself if your handy with a soldering iron, and it is relatively easy if you take great care and patience. but it does mean removing the LCD display to gain access to the PCB, that's how I destroyed mine I applied to much heat for too long that it lifted the copper tracks.

The Led you will need will be a PLCC-2 surface mount led in the right colour (green) for indicators, maybe need to do both as it may be 2 different shades of green LED.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:55 pm 

You are a gent Sir. Many thanks.

A quick google and it appears I can get 10 leds for 99p. Mad or what!

It’s very tempting and if I stuff the unit up there’s always a flea bay (and man + van)!

Cheers mate.

Baz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:24 am 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
BarryF wrote:
You are a gent Sir. Many thanks.

A quick google and it appears I can get 10 leds for 99p. Mad or what!

It’s very tempting and if I stuff the unit up there’s always a flea bay (and man + van)!

Cheers mate.

Baz

Try a Maplin or Halfords electrical contact cleaner aerosol on the speedo connectors may take a week! The hazard switch should flssh right and left turns at same time!
It may need the the contact cleaner to mine does!

If you have WD40 generic bolt aersol don’t use it instead!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:20 pm 

Thanks Xmas. On a whim, decided to have a go at cleaning the contacts on Friday. I removed the cowl and disconnected the speedo from the wiring loom. I didn’t have contact cleaner so could only get to the pins in the back of the speedo. They looked clean as, to be fair. Fiddled about a bit trying to clean each pin, reconnected and managed to get a few flashes on the left turn indicator but it’s very random and now it’s dead again. Might give the contact cleaner a go before spending out on a second hand replacement.

The centre hazard button does (did) operate the two indicator leds on the speedo when its turned on. My question related to the button itself (which has never illuminated when pressed).

Back to the main issue again and possibly sourcing a second hand speedo, I checked with a local garage owner about the issue of swapping out the speedo (and it showing the wrong mileage). From May this year it is likely that ‘clocking’ Speedo’s will be banned, so the man and van solution (as kindly contributed by wee mac) goes away. My (old school) mechanic couldn’t see an issue: ‘What’s the problem with leaving the recorded mileage as is (on the replacement)? Keep records of what you’ve done and there’s no reason to reset the mileage. If you sell the car, you have the explanation and evidence (keep the old speedo if you must). Anyway, you have an audible indication that the left turn indicator is on when selected (which is true) so you could leave well alone and save yourself the hassle’.

So, there you go. Pay your money and take your choice.

I personally like things to work as intended so I will likely clean again (with contact cleaner) and if that fails, off to the breakers.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Baz

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:16 pm 

Drives: 107Allure5D62plate
BarryF wrote:
Thanks Xmas. On a whim, decided to have a go at cleaning the contacts on Friday. I removed the cowl and disconnected the speedo from the wiring loom. I didn’t have contact cleaner so could only get to the pins in the back of the speedo. They looked clean as, to be fair. Fiddled about a bit trying to clean each pin, reconnected and managed to get a few flashes on the left turn indicator but it’s very random and now it’s dead again. Might give the contact cleaner a go before spending out on a second hand replacement.

The centre hazard button does (did) operate the two indicator leds on the speedo when its turned on. My question related to the button itself (which has never illuminated when pressed).

Back to the main issue again and possibly sourcing a second hand speedo, I checked with a local garage owner about the issue of swapping out the speedo (and it showing the wrong mileage). From May this year it is likely that ‘clocking’ Speedo’s will be banned, so the man and van solution (as kindly contributed by wee mac) goes away. My (old school) mechanic couldn’t see an issue: ‘What’s the problem with leaving the recorded mileage as is (on the replacement)? Keep records of what you’ve done and there’s no reason to reset the mileage. If you sell the car, you have the explanation and evidence (keep the old speedo if you must). Anyway, you have an audible indication that the left turn indicator is on when selected (which is true) so you could leave well alone and save yourself the hassle’.

So, there you go. Pay your money and take your choice.

I personally like things to work as intended so I will likely clean again (with contact cleaner) and if that fails, off to the breakers.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Baz

The hazard switch does not illuminate! If you get contact cleaner use it on all the speedo plugs and sockets mate them leave and repeat several times! I need to treat my hazard switch as it goes intermittent regular!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:41 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
My centre hazard button doesn't illuminate either, know what you mean though the style/type/colour of centre hazard button looks like it should illuminate but it doesn't.

About your speedo, old MOTs will have previous mileage on as well so will help verify your records, but then again poses the question come MOT time if 'clocking' Speedo's is banned, what does MOT guy do, get their calculator out! or log a much higher or lower figure from new secondhand speedo!

Shame, cos 'mileage correction' was intended for this exact issue, genuine peeps with faulty speedo needing replacement, but as ever the crooks take advantage and ruin the idea!

Personally I would keep the old speedo if you replace, so at least bit more backing to the story. With MOT history available online now the more documentation the better to back yourself up.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:01 pm 

BarryF wrote:
The centre hazard button does (did) operate the two indicator leds on the speedo when its turned on.
The hazard switch does not illuminate! If you get contact cleaner use it on all the speedo plugs and sockets mate them leave and repeat several times! I need to treat my hazard switch as it goes intermittent regular!

Thanks mate. Will definitely give it a go. How do you deal with the female side of the switch? I have never needed to use switch cleaner before..... l can see you can just give it a blast but how do you get the resulting cr#p out of the connector? Apologies for a lame question.

Baz