Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric Cars
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:47 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
Just been down to the underground car park where I live and noticed these...

I guess electric cars are a viable option for me now if they weren't so damned expensive. I wonder how you pay for it though ?

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

Post subject: Re: Electric Cars
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:55 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
nlel wrote:
I wonder how you pay for it though ?

They offer two versions; one key operated and one pay-by-use.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:08 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Funnily enough, I got email from Toolstation today and they now selling EV chargers, accessories and cable, assume for home installation, so things are moving forward. In recent weeks the temptation of electric has worsened for me cos petrol round our way gone down 5p a litre!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:30 pm 

Steve107 wrote:
In recent weeks the temptation of electric has worsened for me cos petrol round our way gone down 5p a litre!

Unleaded is now 114.7p in ASDA Barnstaple and 114.9p in Tesco.

Combine that with the tiny number of EV charging points and EV isn't yet viable where I live.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Hi guys been away a week in hospital. My girlfriend did not like how l looked. The wagon picked me up.
Nice all better now.
Outside my window are 2 electric loading plugs l've never seen one in use. Except by me. They are available for casual parking for 2 hours if you have a card. I thought they would be put more to use,we have a Hotel full with customers from Holland mostly drivers. Some are driven with the Hotel's coach. Parking can be a pain but it's good for the village. When l'm next in the main town town l will find out the cost to fill up with electric. Also the price of Petrol has got cheaper since I came out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:06 am 

Drives: 2006 C1
Niel is that your car charging?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:45 am 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
brixtonboy wrote:
Niel is that your car charging?

No I don’t have an electric car.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
brixtonboy wrote:
Hi guys been away a week in hospital. My girlfriend did not like how l looked. The wagon picked me up.
Nice all better now.
Outside my window are 2 electric loading plugs l've never seen one in use. Except by me. They are available for casual parking for 2 hours if you have a card. I thought they would be put more to use,we have a Hotel full with customers from Holland mostly drivers. Some are driven with the Hotel's coach. Parking can be a pain but it's good for the village. When l'm next in the main town town l will find out the cost to fill up with electric. Also the price of Petrol has got cheaper since I came out.

Glad your on the mend, with the current virus situation, hospital not best place to be, but good to hear you are out and you are doing ok.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 pm 

Drives: 2007 107 Urban 5dr
I actually went for it for a while! I got a 2013 Nissan Leaf as the price of the leaf loan (per month) worked out a bit less than my monthly spend on diesel on my previous car (Citroen C3 Picasso, 50mpg ish). It was a lovely thing to drive,, super smooth and actually very nippy! The smoothness and comfort was lovely. I would charge at home overnight most of the time and it was pennies, literally pennies to do a full charge on my home electric. Worked out at about 40 pence to charge up fully. Mental.

Had the car for approx 5 months.

40p (at home, normal 240v socket) would give approx 60-70 miles. Crazy cheap! Unbeatably cheap!

Charging at rapid chargers etc obviosuly carried a cost, more like approx £5 for a full charge.

However, as time went on, the limitations made themselves known. The range of approx 60-70 miles (in winter) whilst more than adequate for my weekday commute needs - did make things a bit tight on weekends. Like....we still managed...but you know how it is...you go somewhere...and then you think "oh, i forgot about that, lets go there and get that etc" - thats the kind of thing you couldn't do (unless you planned and made sure there was a charger on route etc.

We did have a couple of hairy moments where we *just* made it to a charger, and then of course, depending on the charger, you had to wait. Quickest ones could give 80% in 20ish minutes.

Pros:
Car was lovely to drive, super smooth, refined, comfortable, quick (deceptively so), very well equipped - and the whole zero emission thing of course, had a bit of a feelgood factor there (im just talking tailpipe stuff, i know it's not really 'zero' not getting into that.

Cons:

As above, sometimes planning had to be made depending on the journey.
Bad weather was more of a factor than in an ICE car. Heater, wipers, etc etc all drained things a bit more quickly than you'd like.

Ultimately...i started to go a bit 'cold feet' on it...worried that something expensive would go wrong (even though battery wise they are extremely reliable - the batteries just degrade slowly over time/mileage rather than fail quickly).
And the range anxiety stuff, few hairy moments etc...it just told me that, for us, its not time yet. So i sold it and am now back to an ICE car.

I'd certainly consider another in future :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:58 pm 

107MC wrote:
And the range anxiety stuff, few hairy moments etc...it just told me that, for us, its not time yet.

That's my feelings too, out here in rural north Devon getting to & from a major town for shopping would challenge that sort of range, and
charging points aren't available on the routes so you HAVE to be able to get there & back.

Maybe once the range is 200 or even 300 miles then I'll be able to consider an EV.