Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jersey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:18 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Just got back from a few days in Jersey. Very nice place. Consistently 10 degrees warmer that it was back home over the same period - yet the locals kept apologising that we were having such horrible weather for our holiday. :lol:

Saw quite a lot of bugs and Smart cars - I wouldn't have recognised nlel's in the crowd if I'd seen it unfortunately. We didn't drive but driving looks like it isn't much fun. St Helier is busy all day with nose-to-tail traffic and the countryside can become choked up with mini traffic jams at the drop of a hat (e.g all it can take is someone wanting to turn into their driveway or something - a bus driver that we had called these "Jersey traffic jams").

Sooo many Porsches in a place where the max speed is 40mph. :lol:

Lots of history, lots of interesting things to do, nice countryside, nice beaches. I'm not going to rush back because there are other places that I want to see too, but I'm not saying that I will never go back either - in fact, I quite possibly will at some point.

Post subject: Re: Jersey
PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:35 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
I’m glad you enjoyed your trip here, there’s a few others on this forum who regularly come here too. Like you say loads of bugs and Smarts and the odd Porsche which seems overkill with a 40mph limit.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:03 pm 

Thanks, I did enjoy it. We were only on the island for 4 days but we packed quite a bit in Gorey/Mont Orgueil castle, La Hougue Bie, Durrell zoo, war tunnels, St Catherine's Breakwater, La Corbière and an island tour that allowed us to see most of the beaches and some other interesting sites. We visited a few churches, walked on a few beaches and really explored St Helier on foot. We stayed in a nice hotel (Tthe Inn) and found some nice places to eat too. There's still plenty more to see though.

My eyes haven't stopped watering at the property prices in the estate agents' windows though. So many places at over £1million and every estate agent had a few at 9, 10, 11, 12... million. The cheapest we saw was a 2 room apartment (bedroom and kitchen with shared bathroom) for £200 000 :shock: Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire are well known to be above average house-price-wise but they pale in comparison to Jersey.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:55 pm 

I've driven past Gorey castle many times but I don't think I've ever got out and walked around it, same for La Hougue Bie. Haven't been to the Zoo for years and years same for the war tunnels. Out of all of them I've probably been to St Catherines and La Corbiere the most.

In fact I used to walk from St Helier to La Corbiere and back via the railway walk which is a good 13 miles and took about 4 hours, I haven't done that for years though and never since owning a car.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:40 pm 

Drives: C1 VTR 2011, Grey
I love to moan about how the railway walk to St Aubin is too boring - it's a lot of the same scenery repeating for the most-part! :lol: The other direction is a bit better mind you.

I spent a week during the summer of 2018 driving around the island (for the first time) in a mid-90s Micra... It's actually quite tricky driving even when compared to many of the UK's country lanes... With all the granite walls penning you in I can't see why anyone would want to drive a modern behemoth over there!

I experienced an attended petrol station for the first time since the late '80s which was quite an experience - especially when the owner started pulling a dent out of the car with a suction cup before I even had a chance to politely refuse the service. Then, when paying, I was given far too much change (which I pointed out, of course!) I'm not going to name the garage here though. :lol:

I have also lost the ability to pronounce French place names in the many years since my GCSE in the subject. Waz-neigh anyone?

The Pallot Steam, Motor & General Museum has to be my favourite place to visit... Admittedly I have yet to ride the train. :(

Jersey holds a special place in my heart. :)

Drives C1 VTR 2011

Used to drive C1 Vibe 2007

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:05 pm 

74hct04 wrote:
I experienced an attended petrol station for the first time since the late '80s which was quite an experience

Yeah the one I go to has an attendant who is always keen to top up my car, I just tell them no I'll do it myself.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:13 pm 

Does the fuel at such a station cost more?

As a matter of interest, what is the going rate for fuel on Jersey anyway? I'd been told that road tax is effectively handled by having a surcharge on fuel (correct?), but from the few petrol stations that I saw, fuel didn't seem to be any dearer in Jersey than it is around here (if anything, it was slightly cheaper). However, I didn't see many petrol stations and wasn't paying that much attention at the time either to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:14 pm 

Have a look here...

https://www.jerseyfuelwatch.com/

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 pm 

Yup, that looks like a good few pence cheaper per litre than here even though that presumably includes the tax surcharge. Ours are typically a penny or two more than the most expensive ones on that link.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 VTR+
Unleaded 120.7
Diesel 123.7

In Glasgow

W

Euralight LED DRL