Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:19 pm 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
I'm sure we've all been there. You're in the middle of an overtake and the person you are trying to pass speeds up for whatever reason (macho-pride, suddenly woke up, accidentally going faster, whatever). It's inconsiderate and dangerous.

That's not what this is about. This is about slowing down to "help" the over taking driver in a dangerour situation. I witnessed this on the way home from work yesterday.

I'm "yellow". Grey is a slow moving people carrier. Red and blue are just regular cars. We're all doing about 45mph at this point on a rural but good road.

Red indicates and pulls out for an overtake. It's a straight bit of road with good visibility, but red isn't that fast so the overtake won't be a quick one. Blue starts to close the gap created by red pulling out (I assume that he wants to pass grey sooner or later too).

Suddenly, green appears (not as close as the image indicates). Red realises that the overtake is not on and so starts to brake (I don't recall if he indicated left or not). Grey (presumably) also realises that the overtake is not on and so starts to brake heavily (presumably) to try and let red complete the overtake. Blue also starts to brake because he is closing rapidly on grey. There is now nowhere for red to go. He hasn't got the time or the speed to overtake grey and he hasn't got a space to pull back in to. No one has the acceleration to power forwards out of the situation either.
I'm OK, I kept my distance. I had a hunch what was going to happen.

Eventually, all of red, grey and blue (and me shortly after) come to a complete standstill with both grey and blue having 2 wheels on the grass verge and red nudging ever closer to them to try and give green enough room. Green gets through (slowly) without much room to spare.

While it's almost certainly true that red should not have attempted the overtake (he was quite slow (as mentioned) and would have struggled to complete the manoeuvre in the visible space even if green had not appeared), once he realised that he could not make the overtake, he could have slowed down and, unless blue was particularly bad or unaware, fitted back into the space behind grey (assuming a little bit of slowing from blue). However, red had all his options cut off by the "helpful" actions of grey and all three drivers went into panic mode; just braking without really thinking, until they all became bunched up at the side of the road. Fortunately, all it meant was that 5 cars in total had to slow down significantly and maybe a couple of pairs of underwear needed a boil wash but it could have easily been a lot worse.

I've been in a similar situation to red myself once, many years ago. I started an overtake but another car appeared coming towards me as I was drawing even with the car I was trying to pass. I braked to move back in behind it but the other car braked just as heavily as me so I had nowhere to go. Even though there wasn't anther car (like blue in the pics) I couldn't pull in because the car I was trying to pass had decelerated at the same rate as me. Not fun.

My take on being overtaken: if being overtaken, I certainly don't accelerate, but I don't act like like grey either. I cannot predict what the overtaker is going to do or how he is going to respond to a changing situation, so I don't think for him or try to second guess him. It's too easy to make things far worse. I just hold a constant speed (the overtaker thought they could pass me at that speed anyway) and I let them deal with a change in conditions (unless me doing nothing is patently dangerous, of course*). At the very most, I move left slightly to allow more room and to indicate that I know the overtaker is there and starting their manoeuvre. I did that this morning as a motorbike pulled out to pass and I even got the coveted hand-slightly-lifted-from-the-handlebar "thankyou" wave from the biker as he pulled in in-front of me. Real kudos for a car driver. :mrgreen:

*a good example might be a car trying to overtake a number of cars, they are mostly past me and going for the one in front of me too but an oncoming car appears so they start to slot in in-front of me so I ease off to give them enough room.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:49 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
That is an odd one, ultimately all drivers prevented a potentially very bad accident so did the right thing, it difficult even from your excellent description to determine who had enough space and time to slow down or manouvre etc, but as you say if I being overtaken or being approached by overtaking car I've often slowed down to ensure things happen as they should. Who is to blame, well if no car attempts an overtake then there is no hazard or potential accident. It does prove that drivers are unpredictable, so you cannot assume anything. Also, if I do overtake, you do need to speed up and do it quickly and safely.

One thing I have learned over the years, is it not really worth overtaking much now, because you know a few minutes down the road there will be traffic lights or traffic jam to hold up the traffic. That is why I let most 'faster' cars overtake me and pull up behind them a few minutes later further up the road!

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:09 am 

Drives: Aygo Black & STI
Thoughts ? - I'll quote a great driver - "If in doubt, flat out"

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:35 am 

Drives: C1 Phase 3; 107 Ph 1
A great driver indeed (met him at a rally I was marshalling at - and his dad). Shame his piloting wasn't as good. :(

Steve, ultimately, you're right: no one died so the outcome was fine. I can't help feeling that if grey had just held their speed, red would have been able to slip back behind him with minimal fuss (which is what he tried to do) and we could have all carried on with the incident not really being particularly noteworthy at all; just an attempted then aborted overtake.