Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:10 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107 (2005)
I've had my 107 for a week now, and for the first couple of days I was enjoying driving. But since the weekend I seem to be getting more and more stressed by it. I don't speed, but all the cameras and things out there, along with the "6 points and you're out" thing for new drivers is really making me paranoid...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:54 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
I have to say I enjoyed the freedom to come and go when and where I wanted.

Just remember to keep within the speed limit (but not too much below) and to concentrate on your driving without distractions (put your phone on silent, or even turn it off, and put it where you can't see it) and gradually you'll find that the mechanics of driving become almost automatic.

Above all don't get stressed, just keep calm, and if you find yourself getting anxious find a safe and legal place to pull over and chill for a few minutes.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

Last edited by PetrolDave on Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:02 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 VTR+
My dad always maintained that you only learn to drive after you passed your test!

As you clock up more "flying hours" and gain more experience you will relax more. Take it easy - don't try to force it. Enjoy your time behind the wheel.

W

Euralight LED DRL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:02 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
Best thing I did was change from manual to automatic. Manual wasn’t that bad but I much prefer automatic.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:13 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 (2005)
I won't be changing the car for a while.

What I have been doing is getting up early morning and driving around while the roads are quiet to get used to the road layouts and other things in the local area. It was kinda busy this morning, so it was more stressful than it usually is, and on top of that I got a bit lost and ended up on a motorway that I didn't feel comfortable on. I took a Pass Plus for motorways, so I know how to do them, but it's very different driving with my instructor in his brand new diesel Nissan Micra than it is on my own in a Peugeot 107. I managed to get back home, but it was a bit worrying.

Since my little hiccup this morning, I've devised a new plan. Instead of just randomly driving around, I'm going to set google maps to guide me to a location, like a supermarket, and follow the navigation there. Then do the return journey. It should prevent any chance of getting lost again. I just did it this afternoon and I got there without any issue and didn't find it too stressful, even with the bad traffic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:28 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
Yeah, it can be a little stressful/ nerve-wracking initially, as you're driving on your own shortly after passing. Just keep calm, and pull over in a safe place if you start to worry (or if google maps gets it wrong - it can happen xD. I planned on one motorway, late in the evening when it was quiet, to practice motorways, and ended up on the wrong motorway, going the wrong way xD. Still, learnt motorways weren't all that bad in terms of driving... just for a bit longer than expected xD.)

When using google maps, don't forget to ensure power saving mode is off - I find on my S9 if power saving mode is on it does not update the location properly (since it checks GPS less often), which can result in missed turns/etc.

In terms of dealing with traffic - give yourself space, and more or less 'ignore' other drivers. (As in, acknowledge they are there/ know where they are, but don't feel pressured to speed up if they tailgate to try and force it/ etc. They're the one's being idiots, not you, and they'll be the one's paying the price for it at somepoint).

Overall - just have fun driving. Experience/ practice are the best things (and really the only way pretty much) to overcome the new driver nerves/stresses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:50 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Agree with many of the comments, admit it can be daunting as it first time you driven on your own, and you need just get out there and experience traffic and other drivers. Thankfully our little cars are great fun and prove your can enjoy driving even at legal speed limits.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:14 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Keep in mind your driving your car they are driving theirs. They don’t wish to damage their cars anymore than you do. Drive your drive not there’s and keep cool and calm. No road rage.