Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Einheit Day
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:16 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
I am in doubt that you are all aware that in Germany it's a Holiday today. It's called
Tag der Deutschen Einheit. Day of German unity. When East and West broke down the wall put up by the Russians. Germany was at last one again. Families could meet up, some had not seen each other for years.

Strange that even now another wall is being built. Not in Europe thank goodness. But across the sea in America, people trying to escape from Mexico for what they think is a better life.

Keep safe people

Post subject: Re: Einheit Day
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:09 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
brixtonboy wrote:
When East and West broke down the wall put up by the Russians.

Interesting. It was/is my understanding that the wall was built by the GDR. Now, I know that the GDR was heavily influenced by Russia/the Soviet Bloc but the GDR was quite an oppressive regime in its own right (as I understand it, many of its officials just swapped their Nazi hats for communist ones and then kept doing what they had been doing throughout the 1930s/40s).

It has been my experience that the Germans have been very good, open and pro-active in facing the reality of their 20th century history but I have noticed that there has there has been a shift in recent years with respect to the post-war to unification era where, increasingly, things during that period are being blamed on "the Russians".

As for the wall, I remember hearing the live BBC broadcast of it being torn down. It's sort of my "where were you when you heard that Kennedy was shot" moment. I can remember exactly where I was and what I was doing (nothing remarkable, just driving on a back road near Aberdeen in a Vauxhall Cavalier SRi). My sister remembers it even more clearly because she was living in Berlin at the time and went to the wall. I still have a little bit of it that she chipped off (the genuine item, chipped off by her, not the random bits of concrete sold to tourists "Es ist ehrlich gesagt ein Teil der Mauer.")

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:25 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 + VW Touareg
Enjay wrote:
brixtonboy wrote:
When East and West broke down the wall put up by the Russians.

Interesting. It was/is my understanding that the wall was built by the GDR. Now, I know that the GDR was heavily influenced by Russia/the Soviet Bloc but the GDR was quite an oppressive regime in its own right (as I understand it, many of its officials just swapped their Nazi hats for communist ones and then kept doing what they had been doing throughout the 1930s/40s).

That's difficult to say - during WW2 both the Nazi and the Soviet regimes were very oppressive and both occupied areas of Central Europe using "scorched earth" and population displacement making it difficult to determine the true origin of the post-war populations in Central European.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:41 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
When l visited Germany some years ago, l a saw part of the wall. That was still standing. I believe in was in Cologne but I can't be sure. I was with my girlfriend at the time and she wanted me to return with her. I could not decide, so I made many trips to various parts. Finally I decided to leave the U.K. behind me.

I have seen videos of the wall being built by East Germans and prisoners but with Russian soldiers standing guard over them. At first it was not a wall at all just barbed wire. Many escaped because they knew what was coming. That was the beginning of the Wall. After some years a new Wall was built higher, with mine fields dogs. Towers and as usual anyone trying to escape was killed.