Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:34 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 2016
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/psa-d ... ction/amp/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:42 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
I wonder whether Toyota will continue production of the Aygo now that they have lost PSA as a partner?

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 + VW Touareg
Globally, no-one is developing IC-engined city cars - they cost nearly as much to develop/build as larger models but have to be sold cheaper so difficult to make a profit - they'll eventually be replaced by EVs so only a limited lifespan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:05 pm 

But not everyone drives a "city car" in the city - they are also good first cars for new drivers and I use mine as a second car even though I live in rural north Devon.

A small EV would currently be no use to me as the combination of limited charging places and limited range makes them unsuitable - so if I can't get a small ICE car then the only option is an older more polluting larger ICE car as I simply can't afford a new EV at their current prices. Net result - I'll be generating more pollution, which is the exact opposite of the desired effect :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:32 pm 

PetrolDave wrote:
But not everyone drives a "city car" in the city - they are also good first cars for new drivers and I use mine as a second car even though I live in rural north Devon.

A small EV would currently be no use to me as the combination of limited charging places and limited range makes them unsuitable - so if I can't get a small ICE car then the only option is an older more polluting larger ICE car as I simply can't afford a new EV at their current prices. Net result - I'll be generating more pollution, which is the exact opposite of the desired effect :twisted:

The EV market may not be mature enough for you, or me, at present but it will evolve - electric ranges will increase and charging points will become more common.

I've bought a C1 precisely because the price of older EVs is too high - it's a second car to use for shopping and local trips - it does halve my output of CO2/NOx on such trips compared to my main car.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:25 pm 

Black Grouse wrote:
I've bought a C1 precisely because the price of older EVs is too high - it's a second car to use for shopping and local trips - it does halve my output of CO2/NOx on such trips compared to my main car.

The Road Tax system doesn't encourage purchase of newer less polluting ICE vehicles though, my 2008 C1 costs me £20 Road Tax and has CO2 levels of 109g/km but my new 2020 Aygo (currently on the docks at Grimsby) despite having CO2 levels of 99g/km will cost me £140 Road Tax!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:06 pm 

A reduction from 109 to 99 g/km is a very minor reduction - indeed given the ever-widening gap between tested emissions and real world emissions there may be no real reduction at all.

Until about 2015, the EU authorities including the UK, focussed on reducing CO2 generally to minimise the effect on global warming - but since then they've focussed on reducing NOx in towns/cities, which means EV or PHEV.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:11 am 

Drives: 2007 C1
It's a shame they didn't give it once last lease of life and make it a mild hybrid.
Adding a ISG system and a 48v battery (like Suzuki has) would add very little cost.

I guess the numbers being sold are not what they were but considering all the development costs have already being met, you would think they would milk every bit they could out of it. After all a small profit is better than no profit!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:10 am 

Black Grouse wrote:
A reduction from 109 to 99 g/km is a very minor reduction

they've focussed on reducing NOx in towns/cities, which means EV or PHEV.

The NOx emissions of the newer bugs won't be so much higher to justify the Road Tax hike from £20 to £140 - I believe the Government realised that so many people had been buying cars with low CO2 emissions that their income from Road Tax dropped dramatically so in a panic move the Government changed to a flat rate of £140 to restore their income rather than any altruistic move to focus on NOx emissions nationally.

To me it seems NOx emissions are being tackled by local councils at local levels e.g. by the proposed ban on old diesel vehicles in Bristol and the extension of the London ULEV zone?

And who can not have seen the stories in the press that a large number of PHEVs are never actually plugged in (shown by their charging leads still being sealed in their plastic bags when the PHEV is returned at the end of their contract)? So PHEVs just encourage people to lease bigger vehicles (with higher real world COs and NOx emissions) without any financial penalty in BiK tax.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:43 am 

PetrolDave wrote:
Black Grouse wrote:
A reduction from 109 to 99 g/km is a very minor reduction

they've focussed on reducing NOx in towns/cities, which means EV or PHEV.

The NOx emissions of the newer bugs won't be so much higher to justify the Road Tax hike from £20 to £140 - I believe the Government realised that so many people had been buying cars with low CO2 emissions that their income from Road Tax dropped dramatically so in a panic move the Government changed to a flat rate of £140 to restore their income rather than any altruistic move to focus on NOx emissions nationally.

To me it seems NOx emissions are being tackled by local councils at local levels e.g. by the proposed ban on old diesel vehicles in Bristol and the extension of the London ULEV zone?

And who can not have seen the stories in the press that a large number of PHEVs are never actually plugged in (shown by their charging leads still being sealed in their plastic bags when the PHEV is returned at the end of their contract)? So PHEVs just encourage people to lease bigger vehicles (with higher real world COs and NOx emissions) without any financial penalty in BiK tax.

The BIK reductions based on unrealistic CO2 ratings have been causing anomalies for a long time - a friend of mine gets a fully-expensed company car so has bought a succession of Toyota Prius to keep the BIK tax down very low but soon found that average fuel consumption was worse that a similar sized conventional car as his mileage is all longer journeys.