Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:06 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
Enjay wrote:
"tidy up the floor" or "clear the floor" (no up).

1. So when do I use 'clear up'?

2. And can I refer to the books, not the floor?

Tidy up the books!
Clear up the books!

If not, what do I say? "Remove all the books from the floor"?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:15 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
1. You could use "clear up" and I don't think it would sound particularly weird. It's just not what I would tend to say. I might say something like "I need you to clear up in here, we have guests coming round" though.

2. I think, in context, both would probably be OK but "tidy up" would also work if the books were badly arranged on a shelf and you wanted them to look neat whereas "clear up" does imply "put away" (or at least get them away from where they currently are) and would not be so appropriate for the untidy shelf example.

"Remove all the books from the floor", while not grammatically wrong feels long-winded and overly formal. I would suggest that it was unlikely to be used unless an exasperated mother had already asked her child several times to put their books away and now she was speaking in a much sterner voice with a definite "if you don't do this, there is going to be trouble" tone. :lol:

Getting back to the door "kick" versus "foot" question, I asked someone else about this and they made the valid point that a kick could only really be used to open a door away from you; whereas "using my foot" could apply to pushing the door away or pulling it towards yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:07 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Enjay wrote:
Agreeing with everything Dave said.

With the last, I'd either say "tidy up the floor" or "clear the floor" (no up). Either might be followed by "I want everything away" to certain that the person I am speaking to knows I want a full tidy up.

A partial clearing might be "can you clear a space on the floor, I want to put the coffee table out" or something.

Agree with all that.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:02 am 

Do these sound natural? What prepositions do I use?

-I’m just calling to reschedule my appointment from this Monday to Thursday. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to reschedule my appointment from this Monday for next week. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to postpone my appointment from this Monday to Thursday. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to postpone my appointment from this Monday for next week. Would that be possible?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
kaliope wrote:
Do these sound natural? What prepositions do I use?

-I’m just calling to reschedule my appointment from this Monday to Thursday. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to reschedule my appointment from this Monday for next week. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to postpone my appointment from this Monday to Thursday. Would that be possible?
-I’m just calling to postpone my appointment from this Monday for next week. Would that be possible?

I would use the "to" versions - for me rescheduling "from" a date "to" a different date is more natural.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 pm 

Are these two correct?

A: Why are you so sad, Peter?
B: Tom has just got a dog. I wish I could have one to be happy.
A: Cheer up. I don't have a dog either and I'm happy. vs. Cheer up. I also don't have a dog and I'm happy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:59 pm 

"I don't have a dog either" sounds natural enough.

"I also don't have a dog" sounds non-native speaker-like to me.

In saying that, Austin Powers uses that kind of phrasing - but then he speaks a bit oddly anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6_IZK-1naY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 am 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
Non native speakers tend to wildly over use the word ‘also’

Like I said in a previous post, keep things simple and don’t ever complicate sentence structure. While all is very grammatically correct and absolutely nothing wrong with how most of your questions are asked.

Just nobody will ever speak like that, so it all just sounds a little forced. Is difficult unless you live among it every day where you can pick up on it directly.

Personally I would love to speak a second language but I can’t remember half of what I learned at school

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:15 pm 

I've been watching this guy for a while. He has said a few times he is an American from Houston, Texas, living now in Poland. He runs a YT channel about Poland. Well I just read a comment of a native American, accusing that guy of pretending to be American while he clearly isn't, judging by his accent. Well, I'm confused. I was pretty sure he was a native American. Please listen to him and I'm pasting a few comments:

You are NOT American. STOP pretending that you are American. It is gross! I'm aware Poles love Americans but that doesn't mean you should pretend to be one .
Just listen to this lad. He's trying so hard to put on an American accent lol
He keeps saying he's an "American citizen" when it is very clear he is not and he's trying hard to put on an accent.
Bloody hell. Ok let me dump it down for you. His accent is not an American accent (not a native American accent) if he were an American citizen, then he would be sound like a native speaker and he does NOT sound like a native American speaker. Got it? Lol sure he speaks good English but he is NOT American.

So does he sound like a native speaker of AE to your British ears?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmX5W6eQ4kE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 452 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next