Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:28 am 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
I depends entirely on state.

Oh Crap! - to me that means it’s happening right now rather than a past action, which make the second part poor grammar. I got, doesn’t work here, like you say very American, if they are talking about the present. It should be I’ve got.

If we are talking English past tense then yes, I got works perfectly fine.
eg/ I got ketchup on my shirt this morning
Or more effectively, I had ketchup on my shirt this morning

I don’t like using the term BE as there is only one form of English. Everything else is bastardised English

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:06 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
wee mac wrote:
I don’t like using the term BE as there is only one form of English. Everything else is bastardised English

+1

Recently spent several weeks in Massachusetts with family, and remembered the truth in the saying "The British and Americans are divided by a common language"!

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:56 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Certainly and l would say that wee mac should wear a bib. Does that term function in this case?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:42 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
For what it's worth BE has had many changes and revisions during the same time period that AE has been growing, changing and adapting too; neither is set, fixed or permanent. Both adapt and evolve: sometimes for good reasons; sometimes not so much. English is a highly adaptive language and it changes with need and usage.

Many words and spellings in BE have been borrowed or adapted from elsewhere, or are "loan words" from other languages. It has always been that way. If we borrow from America these days, so what? We also borrow from India, Germany, Denmark, France...

Many spellings were not set in stone for a very long time (Shakespeare famously spelled his own name several different ways, and it's safe to assume that he was fairly literate and adept at using English (he invented enough of it)). Some spellings in AE pre-date the commonly used ones in BE.

None of us (I assume) speak English in the form that was laid down with the basic rules of grammar in the 16th-18th centuries. I also assume that none of us speak English exactly in compliance with the current rules of grammar and accepted pronunciation.

And what is "British English" anyway? There are many dialects and alternative uses of words all over the country that are perfectly valid forms of English (as there are in other English speaking countries). The English, and the Brits generally, have bastardised the language just as much as anyone else.

Does a Geordie or a Cornishman speak English closer to whatever BE is meant to be than, say, a Bostonian or New Yorker?

So, while English, the etymology of words, the general rules for the language and its various usages fascinate me, I'm not going to get too upset about the whole BE/AE thing because both are good and neither is permanent. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:11 am 

Enjay wrote:
Does a Geordie or a Cornishman speak English closer to whatever BE is meant to be than, say, a Bostonian or New Yorker?

I've lived in many different regions of the UK and worked with people from many different regions too but never had any problems communicating with them.

That's quite different from my recent few weeks near Boston where many words have different meanings, many common articles have different names and many words are pronounced very differently. It took at least a week to re-adjust before I could say communication was relatively seamless.

For me the key differentiator between UK and US pronunciation is that UK never stress the second syllable but US always stresses the second syllable - obviously some exceptions exist as always with English!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:13 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cun-LZvOTdw

;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:54 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
"Crap! I've got ketchup on my shirt. Hand me a napkin" (This is happening while having a meal)

And now, are you able to answer this question? I mean, does that sentence use the perfect tense of the verb 'get' like in "I've got a few presents for my birthday" or the present form of the verb "have" like in "I've got a big family"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:50 am 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
Say someone is going to a cash machine and I ask them to get some money for me too. Which of these work?

-Can you withdraw $100 for me?
-Can you take out $100 for me?
-Can you draw $100 for me?
-Can you draw out $100 for me?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 am 

kaliope wrote:
Say someone is going to a cash machine and I ask them to get some money for me too. Which of these work?

-Can you withdraw $100 for me?
-Can you take out $100 for me?
-Can you draw $100 for me?
-Can you draw out $100 for me?

I would use 1 or 2, probably favouring 2.
3 could be interpreted to mean "Can you draw a picture of $100 for me?".
The use of draw in 4 is similarly ambiguous.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:02 pm 

Agreed. 2 sounds more formal to me. I'd probably ask a friend to take out some money for me, but if I was in a bank I'd ask to withdraw some money.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 42  Next