Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:52 pm 
Administrator

Drives: Ice cream van
Yeah

Wish my Mrs wouldnt remind me to do something every 6 months

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
But don't they mean that:

-in 5 days - it will take me exactly 5 days to do it, so on the 5th day it will be finished
-within 5 days - it will take me 2-5 days to do it, so perhaps on the 2nd day it will be finished

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:12 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
kaliope wrote:
-in 5 days - it will take me exactly 5 days to do it, so on the 5th day it will be finished
-within 5 days - it will take me 2-5 days to do it, so perhaps on the 2nd day it will be finished

Agreed. Although I would still tend to think of "in 5 days" as a maximum estimate. If I wanted to be clear that the job would take 5 days, I'd say that. i.e. This job will take 5 days to complete.

If it is a short task, then those phrases could have a slightly different emphasis and the days effectively become deadlines.

"I will wash the car in 5 days" could mean "I won't do anything until 5 days are up." e.g. Meaning something like "I'm busy for the next 5 days but then I'm clear to wash the car, so I can't do it until then."

I will wash the car within 5 days means I will do it before 5 days are up. So, on any of the next 5 days, I will wash the car but it will definitely be done by the time 5 days have elapsed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:58 pm 

I'm sorry or Excuse me? Please say which form of apology you'd choose in these:

Situation 1: My dog has sniffed at someone's leg and I want to apologize. I'm sorry or Excuse me?

Situation 2: A teacher realises he or she has made a mistake on the black board. Corrects the mistake and says?

Situation 3: I have a coughing fit during some meeting. Afterwards, I'd like to apologise. What do I say?

Situation 4: I stepped on the partner's toes while dancing. What do I say?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:49 pm 
Administrator

Sorry for all of them

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:25 pm 

Thanks Reedy.

What do I use here? Between or among?

-I don't know where to study. I must choose ______ best universities in the UK.
-I don't know where to study. I must choose ______ three universities in the UK.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:33 pm 
Administrator

Between

And either for the 2nd but probably between again

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:38 pm 

kaliope wrote:
I'm sorry or Excuse me?

Like Reedy, I would probably default to sorry for most of them but they do mean slightly different things. Sorry shows that you are sorry for your actions whereas excuse me is asking for the other person to excuse your transgression but it doesn't necessarily mean that you are sorry about it.

kaliope wrote:
What do I use here? Between or among?

-I don't know where to study. I must choose ______ best universities in the UK.
-I don't know where to study. I must choose ______ three universities in the UK.

With those sentence structures, I would say between for both. Saying "I must chose among the best universities" sounds weird (to me anyway) and almost implies that you are actually within (or among) them. That's because among can also mean that you are part of a group "I was among the group of passengers whose flight was delayed".

If the word "from" was also there, then among (or amongst (which means the same thing)) might be more likely:

I must choose from among best universities in the UK.

That's because the word "from" more clearly identifies the subset (or group) that you are talking about (the best universities) and you are choosing one of them from that group. I think. I dunno, I only use the language, I'm not a linguist; cunning or otherwise.

[edit]
Oh, and of course, "excuse me" is often used for situations where you are trying to get someone's attention. "Excuse me waiter, can we have the bill please?" or "excuse me, can you pass the salt?" Many people could use "sorry" in those situations though. You might also say "excuse me" when you are tring to do something like push through a crowd and you want people to move out of the way. However, again, some people might also say "sorry" there.

Sometimes "excuse me" can be used as a reprimand. e.g. if someone pushed in front of you in a queue in the post office (and you can't get much more of a British example than that) you might say "excuse me" in a disgruntled tone to signal to the other person that you aren't happy with what they did. Again, "sorry" could also be used in that situation, but less likely. BTW, In that situation, that's often the end of it. The person who pushed in might pretend that they hadn't heard the "excuse me" and the person who had said it might tut and say something like "some people" but that's as far as it's likely to go. Because we're rubbish at confrontation and we're already out of our comfort zone in such a situation anyway. Some people might go home and write a sternly worded letter to their local paper about how standards of behaviour are declining. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:47 am 

Thanks guys, I do appreciate your input here.

How about here

-There is a trade agreement __________ three countries.
-There is a trade agreement __________ countries in Europe.

-You must divide the money ___________ your sons.
-You must divide the money ___________ your four sons.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am 

I would probably say "between" for the countries. "Among" would sound weird, I think; although a shift in context could make "among" possible. e.g. it wouldn't seem so bad to say something like "we have been around the table and negotiated a trade deal among our countries." Though "between" would still work too.

To me, with the sons ones, "between" or "among" (or "amongst") would be fine in either case.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 726 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 73  Next