Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:48 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Yup, all of those work (all parts of 1 & 2).

Again, there is a little bit of locational context. For example, "Let me know if you will be able to come to the office party" might seem more natural if the speaker was in the office at the time but that is by no means required for the sentence to sound correct.

Agree on the sitting/standing/etc car too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:37 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
kaliope wrote:
make it vs. come

1. Are these two equally natural?

"Let me know if you will be able to make it to the office party."
"Let me know if you will be able to come to the office party"

2. Does 'make it' work in the past?
A: I didn't you see at the party last night.
B: Sorry, I couldn't make it. vs. Sorry, I couldn't come.

1. Both equally natural.

2. Yes, 'make it' works in the past also.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
at that point vs. at that moment

These two are dictionary examples. Yet they cover totally different spans of time, don’t they? The first one could cover something like a year and the second one talks about a specific moment. In other words, I think I can replace ‘point’ with ‘moment’ only in the second sentence. Am I right?

"At that point, I was still living at home and had no job." ( I believe "at that moment" doesn't fit here)
"At that point, a soldier opened fire on the car" = at that moment

Last edited by kaliope on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm 

kaliope wrote:
at that point vs. at that moment

These two are dictionary examples. Yet they cover totally different spans of time, don’t they? The first one could cover something like a year and the second one talks about a specific moment. In other words, I think I can replace ‘point’ with ‘moment’ only in the second sentence. Am I right?

"At that point, I was still living at home and had no job." ( I believe "at that moment" doesn't fits here)
"At that point, a soldier opened fire on the car" = at that moment

I think moment could be used in both cases as the first example doesn't necessarily imply that you are talking about anything more than a particular instant in time. But point would be more natural.

If you said "At that point I had been living at home for a year and had no job." then moment couldn't be substituted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:24 am 

Yes, again it's subtle and the two are often interchangeable. However, "moment" is likely to be used in more immediate situations and perhaps imply a bit of urgency/surprise/speed.

e.g. "At that moment, a soldier opened fire on the car." could be considered to carry some implication about the surprise or sudden nature of that action, but "point" also still works (but perhaps (only perhaps) it seems like there was less surprise/more inevitability about the shooting starting).

In contrast "point" can be referring to a single point of reference within a longer period of time in a way that moment is less likely to.

e.g. "At that point, I was still living at home and had no job." In this case, presumably the speaker's unemployment and living arrangements were long term situations. However, we are sampling a single point (or shorter period) in the bigger picture.

e.g. "In 2015 you were already travelling the world with your work. At that point, I was still living at home and had no job; I had been since 2010." In that structure "moment" would sound weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:07 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
Speaking of opening and closing the car window, I've come across numerous phrases. I guess some of them are more BrE and some AmE. Would you accept all of them? Which do you use most often? Do you still use wind up/down if the windows are electric?
1. roll down / roll up (AmE)
2. put down / put up (AmE)
3. wind down / wind up (BrE)
4. lower / raise (BrE, AmE)
5. open / close (BrE)
6. open / shut (AusE)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:08 pm 

kaliope wrote:
Speaking of opening and closing the car window, I've come across numerous phrases. I guess some of them are more BrE and some AmE. Would you accept all of them? Which do you use most often? Do you still use wind up/down if the windows are electric?
1. roll down / roll up (AmE)
2. put down / put up (AmE)
3. wind down / wind up (BrE)
4. lower / raise (BrE, AmE)
5. open / close (BrE)
6. open / shut (AusE)

I use 1, 3, 4, 5 & 6 - almost at random :D Most likely I would use 5

Yes, you still wind up/down electric windows - English is a strange language :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm 

I would accept all of those in as much as they all make sense and are unambiguous. I've probably used most of them too. I think "roll" definitely sounds American and is the one that I am least likely to have used.

I am likely to say "wind" partly because of age. When I first started driving, nearly all car windows needed to be "wound" down/up. I have heard a younger person asking why windows are "wound" down, seeing as how they have never done anything resembling "winding" to lower/raise a car window. i.e. they had only ever seen electric windows whereas I can still remember when only the most luxurious cars had them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:26 am 

Enjay wrote:
I am likely to say "wind" partly because of age. When I first started driving, nearly all car windows needed to be "wound" down/up. I have heard a younger person asking why windows are "wound" down, seeing as how they have never done anything resembling "winding" to lower/raise a car window. i.e. they had only ever seen electric windows whereas I can still remember when only the most luxurious cars had them.

Some car dealers, mainly the "Arthur Daley" type, refer to manual windows as "poverty spec"!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:10 am 

Now that you mention it, I've heard that expression too.

Intended to make people feel bad about the car they are looking at and tempt them to go for something pricier?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 42  Next