Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:59 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
-Did you paint the room yourself? No, Bob gave me hand.
-Did you paint the room by yourself? No, Bob gave me hand.

I sense the second sentence is correct; yet, is the first one acceptable? Would it mean the same?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:42 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
kaliope wrote:
-Did you paint the room yourself? No, Bob gave me hand.
-Did you paint the room by yourself? No, Bob gave me hand.

I sense the second sentence is correct; yet, is the first one acceptable? Would it mean the same?

The first part of the second one is correct, but the second part is wrong - it should be "No, Bob gave me a hand." The missing "a" makes it grammatically incorrect.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:10 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Agreed. Missing out the "a" is actually a classic Eastern European mistake and really highlights the speaker as non-native. I have Polish, Lithuanian and Ukrainian friends who all do this.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:48 am 

Sure, I just missed 'a' by mistake, I do realise it should be there. My bad!. However, I would like to know what the difference between the first sentences is.

-Did you paint the room yourself?
-Did you paint the room by yourself?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:41 pm 

While both of these basically mean the same (and could be used interchangeably), I'd suggest that they could also be interpreted to have a a subtle difference. I would take the first one to be asking more about your skills/commitment or whatever whereas the second one is more did you do it alone/without help.

i.e. "The paint job in this room is really nice; did you do it yourself?" versus "This must have taken ages; was it just you who did it?"

But, as ever, it's subtle and (like I said) they are reasonably interchangeable and either form could be used to convey either meaning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:40 pm 

Enjay wrote:
While both of these basically mean the same (and could be used interchangeably), I'd suggest that they could also be interpreted to have a a subtle difference. I would take the first one to be asking more about your skills/commitment or whatever whereas the second one is more did you do it alone/without help.

i.e. "The paint job in this room is really nice; did you do it yourself?" versus "This must have taken ages; was it just you who did it?"

But, as ever, it's subtle and (like I said) they are reasonably interchangeable and either form could be used to convey either meaning.

Agreed, the first would be true if you and somebody else painted the room, but the second only if you did it by yourself without help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:19 pm 

-I changed the oil on my 107 myself.
-I changed the oil on my 107 by myself.

1. So, in the first sentence I may or may not have changed the oil with the help of someone else, whereas in the second sentence I did all the job without any help, right?

2. As for the second sentence, nobody helped me, but could there have been someone else say in the garage, looking at me and seeing if everything was done correctly? Or does it suggest I was alone there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:58 am 

kaliope wrote:

1. So, in the first sentence I may or may not have changed the oil with the help of someone else, whereas in the second sentence I did all the job without any help, right?

2. As for the second sentence, nobody helped me, but could there have been someone else say in the garage, looking at me and seeing if everything was done correctly? Or does it suggest I was alone there?

I would use both interchangeably, the key word is "myself" - so you changed the oil.

If you wanted to clarify that there was no help from anybody else I would suggest "I changed the oil on my 107 ALL by myself."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:59 pm 

On Sunday vs. On a Sunday

'On a Sunday' refers to any Sunday besides the one that we just had or we're going to have next week, right?

1. "And on a Sunday we travelled to Niagara Falls." - Say this is part of a narrative about a vacation someone had in the past.
2. "I would suggest that you shouldn't visit Niagara Falls on a Sunday as it gets very touristy at weekends. " - Say this is general advice.
3. "I visited Niagara Falls on Sunday" - the last Sunday.
4. "Let's visit Niagara Falls on Sunday" - This coming Sunday.

Am I right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:35 pm 

kaliope wrote:

Basically agreeing with Dave, but this has similar subtleties to the painting by yourself example and they overlap enough that either could be used and extra context (or an "all£ as Dave suggests) might be needed to clarify.

kaliope wrote:
On Sunday vs. On a Sunday
1. "And on a Sunday we travelled to Niagara Falls." - Say this is part of a narrative about a vacation someone had in the past.
2. "I would suggest that you shouldn't visit Niagara Falls on a Sunday as it gets very touristy at weekends. " - Say this is general advice.
3. "I visited Niagara Falls on Sunday" - the last Sunday.
4. "Let's visit Niagara Falls on Sunday" - This coming Sunday.

All sound fine to me except #1. In that situation I would tend to use "the" or, if more than one Sunday was possible, I'd specify which one.

e.g. We had a week in Canada and on the Sunday we visited Niagara Falls.

e.g. We had three weeks in Canada and on the second Sunday we visited Niagara Falls.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 42  Next