Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 am 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
Lots of car manufacturers fit their vehicles with the dreaded swirlflaps in the intake manifold yet they never seem to snap, at least I haven’t heard of such a case. Whereas there have been dozens of cases of snapped swirl flaps on BMW 2.0 and 3.0. This is what actually a friend of mine experienced recently. The engine got damaged and he needed to pay 1600 quid for the repair. So it is strongly recommended that the swirl flaps are removed and the manifold blanked. I made a quick decision to carry out the removal on my father’s BMW X3 3.0 and found out their were already leaky despite quite low mileage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw4dEg3eOSM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:48 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
What has caused all the oil under the engine? Surely if the car was always serviced by BMW something would have been said and done long before now?
Also why have these flaps been fitted, in the first place for no apparent purpose?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:21 pm 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
The flaps are fitted in many modern cars now so as to give a bit more power and torque. But removing them makes no or hardly any differnece. A great number of users remove them to avoid potential risk. There is lots of soot in the intake manifold because of the dreaded EGR valve. The soot accumulates there and the flaps get stuck. The actuator closes and opens them anyway and they eventually snap, at least on BMWs. There is lots of problems with flaps on 1.9 cdti 16V Opel/Vauxhall but they don't snap, just throw error codes and cars go into a limp mode and often owners are helpless and decide to remove them too.

Why oily stuff on the engine? For a very simple reason. This is not the engine oil first of all. Turbodiesels have a trubocharger which pushes air into the intake manifold at quite high pressure. Then we have the EGR valve which pushes dirty, sooty fumes into the intake manifold. The soot mixes with the charged air and creates this humid, black, sticky, greasy stuff. Beacuse this is all under pressure, the oily stuff gets out of the manifold if there are any leaks in the manifold. And there are leaks just in the swirl flaps fittings.

In my case, the engine and the gearbox are all covered by a few covers and nobody saw the leaks. When i removed all the covers I was shocked. I thought there was a major issue with the engine oil. It took me hours to clean it all, and hours to remove and blank the flaps. At least I did it carefully and in great detail, which I doubt any garage would.

Thank God 1Kr-fe has neither flaps nor an egr

Last edited by kaliope on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:01 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Thanks man all useful to know. Bet your dads happy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:57 am 

Drives: Audi A6 2013
kaliope wrote:
The flaps are fitted in many modern cars now so as to give a bit more power and torque. But removing them makes no differnece. A great number of users remove them to avoid potential risk. There is lots of soot in the intake manifold because of the dreaded EGR valve. The soot accumulate there and the flaps get stuck. The actuator pushes and pulls them anyway and they eventually snap, at least on BMWs. There is lots of problems with flaps on 1.9 cdti 16V Opel/Vauxhall but they at least don't snap, just throw error codes and cars go into a limp mode and often owners are helpless and decide to remove them too.

Why oily stuff on the engine? For a vary simple reason. This is not the engine oil first of all. Turbodiesels have a trubocharger which pushes air into the intake manifold at quite high pressure. Then we have the EGR valve which pushes dirty, sooty fumes into the intake manifold. The soot mixes with the charged air
pokiestar.com and create this humid, black, sticky, greasy stuff. Beacuse this is all under pressure, the oily stuff gets out of the manifold if there are any leaks in the manifold. And there are leaks just in the swirl flaps fittings.

In my case, the engine and the gearbox are all covered by a few covers and nobody saw the leaks. When i removed all the covers I was shocked. I thought there was a major issue with the engine oil. It took me hours to clean it all, and hours to remove and blank the flaps. At least I did it carefully and in great detail, which I doubt any garage would.

Thank God 1Kr-fe has neither flaps nor an egr

Great information. Thanks.