Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:21 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Black Grouse wrote:
The BIK reductions based on unrealistic CO2 ratings have been causing anomalies for a long time - a friend of mine gets a fully-expensed company car so has bought a succession of Toyota Prius to keep the BIK tax down very low but soon found that average fuel consumption was worse that a similar sized conventional car as his mileage is all longer journeys.

I remember a Daily Telegraph journalist being loaned a Vauxhall Ampera range extender EV (anyone remember them?) for a week - he found that the fuel consumption was WORSE than his daily driver (a VW Golf GTD) on his commute from Milton Keynes to London despite the official mpg/emissions figures suggesting it would be 4-5 times better.

Why? Because the official mpg/emissions figures were (and still are even under WLTP) measured over a relatively short distance which excessively favours electric range over ICE distance, so unless your daily drive is close to the electric range of a PHEV or self charging EV (and you plug it in every night) you won't get anywhere close to the official figures.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:35 am 

Drives: 2011 C1 + VW Touareg
PetrolDave wrote:
Black Grouse wrote:
The BIK reductions based on unrealistic CO2 ratings have been causing anomalies for a long time - a friend of mine gets a fully-expensed company car so has bought a succession of Toyota Prius to keep the BIK tax down very low but soon found that average fuel consumption was worse that a similar sized conventional car as his mileage is all longer journeys.

I remember a Daily Telegraph journalist being loaned a Vauxhall Ampera range extender EV (anyone remember them?) for a week - he found that the fuel consumption was WORSE than his daily driver (a VW Golf GTD) on his commute from Milton Keynes to London despite the official mpg/emissions figures suggesting it would be 4-5 times better.

Why? Because the official mpg/emissions figures were (and still are even under WLTP) measured over a relatively short distance which excessively favours electric range over ICE distance, so unless your daily drive is close to the electric range of a PHEV or self charging EV (and you plug it in every night) you won't get anywhere close to the official figures.

I've always thought that hybrids and PHEVs should have two sets of figures, one pure electric and one pure petrol/diesel - then owners could use their own proportional split to decided what's best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:32 am 

Drives: C1 Code (2008)
It is sad news.

I just bought a 2008 C1 as my first car, with the plan to own it for 3-4 years before moving to similar sized EV (we live in London).

I was hoping there’d be a c1/108/aygo electric when it came to upgrade time, but I guess not.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:09 pm 

Drives: C1 VTR+
Where are we going to get all the electric from to charge them all.

And what if you live in a block of apartments, will you be allocated a day you can 'plug in' because I'm quite sure there won't be enough charging points.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:17 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Grouchy wrote:
Where are we going to get all the electric from to charge them all.

Exactly :cry:
Grouchy wrote:
And what if you live in a block of apartments, will you be allocated a day you can 'plug in' because I'm quite sure there won't be enough charging points.

And what about all those people without off-road parking, will they be allowed to trail charging leads across the public footpaths? I doubt it...

EVs are best in cities, but cities are where the logistics of charging whilst parked are most troublesome.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant