Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
 Post subject: Re: What do you say
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:55 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
kaliope wrote:
Now, what do I call this free hour during which they can do whatever they want to?

:shock: :lol: :(

"do whatever they want to" Oh, if only. Try and cram in as much course development/marking/email answering/cover work/meetings/etc as is humanly possible in the not-quite long enough time slot would be more accurate.

However, to answer the question, where I work they would either be referred to as "free periods" (mostly out of force of habit/tradition because there is little that is free about them) or more officially "non-contact periods" because they are times when teachers are not supposed to have a class (pupil contact) to allow them to do things like preparation,marking etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:34 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
kaliope wrote:
Say someone has a job like a teacher here in Poland, that is, they work with breaks. For example, a teacher needs to carry out two classes from 9 to 11, then they have no class for an hour between 11 and 12 and then another class from 1 to 2 p.m. Now, what do I call this free hour during which they can do whatever they want to? They can even leave the workplace for some coffee in town. Can I call it a 'time slot'? Or just a 'slot'? For example

A: Why don't we meet up for some coffee. Are you busy?
B: Yeah, I'm very busy these days. However, I have a slot tomorrow between 11 and 12. Would that suit you?
A: Sure, great. See you tomorrow.

I would just say slot, that's what I did throughout my working life in this context.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:54 am 

Drives: 107 & Zafira B
What do you call a very primitive person that AE calls 'redneck' or 'hillbilly' or perhaps a 'hick' as the other two refer to the south of the US or to the mountains respectively. I guess you don't use those AE terms, or do you?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:58 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
kaliope wrote:
What do you call a very primitive person that AE calls 'redneck' or 'hillbilly' or perhaps a 'hick' as the other two refer to the south of the US or to the mountains respectively. I guess you don't use those AE terms, or do you?

You're right BE doesn't use those terms. There ARE words we used to use, but in these Politically Correct times they've fallen out of use, and I'm not about to use them in a public forum :oops:

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:17 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 + VW Touareg
kaliope wrote:

We might use the term "country yokel" or just "yokel"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 895 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90