Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Death of the city car.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:48 am 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Sad news about our cars future :( , read today in Auto Express that a lot car manufacturers won't be making small city cars anymore, with PSA boss Carlos Tavares saying that current CO2 regulations and pricing make it tougher than if you make a big car! adding that all A-segment cars will disappear as no profits - not sustainable, you can raise prices but raising prices means younger peeps can't afford it.

Even Vauxhall head honcho says same with the Viva and Adam going same way and Seat head saying the petrol Mii looks for the chop. Hyundai look bit more cheery about i10, but they say price of that going up by £2K.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:59 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Sad. News indeed all l see on German TV are bigger small cars naturally VW's lots of SUVs etc but they are all bigger models. It will take many years to filter though until the last of our baby cars has gone, just like what what we call the models of yesterday year l HOPE.

Keep working to and making our own ones in tip condition.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:20 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
Even Smart are getting out of the city car business by 2022 according to what I read in Auto Express.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
VW Group are switch their city cars over to EVs, seems the petrol/diesel city car doesn't have a future - they had better sort out the problem of home roadside charging (without trip hazard cables running across the pavement/sidewalk) ASAP.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:42 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
I know Glasgow want to be vehicle up to euro 6 Petrol free in the city by 2025. And completely diesel free by 2021

They also want to start charging people for parking at their work too even if it is a private car park, and driving through the city.

Like I work shifts how am I meant to get to my work and start at 6am if the first train doesn’t come until 6.15 then to get a bus after that. They really can’t price the motor vehicle out of the city yet.

The need serious investment in electric charging points and infrastructure. Not even to start the argument on affordable electric car. The cheap one are garbage because the were the leaders in the technology eg Nissan leafs and anything that actually works eg Tesla is extremely pricy! Even the middle of the market stuff like electric Golfs are still far too high. There is currently no incentive or financial capability for average 16k a year Joe to make people want to switch to electric vehicles

We are getting a shafting from all angles!!

Regulations like this are making things much motor trade much tougher to deal with.

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:57 pm 

Drives: peugeot107 2012
where is all this electricity going to come,they say the national grid is on its knees?
how is the government going to tax an electric car with the loss of the tax on petrol/road tax?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:57 pm 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
They will still charge a road tax but I would be at a premium rate, to out weigh fuel tax

Alfa Romeo 159 Turismo Sport
Renault 5 Auto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:01 pm 

Drives: 2007 107 Urban 5dr
On this subject - i made the switch recently. We still have the 107 of course.

But i changed my 2011 diesel C3 Picasso last month to a 2013 Nissan Leaf.

The monthly cost of the loan for the Leaf + the electric it uses is less than the monthly cost of diesel i spent. Then the money i got for the Picasso, i could pay a bit of the loan off, too.

So, in terms of monthly outgoings...they are (or should be if i've done my sums right) less than before....

So, i feel the tipping point was there ...and i made the jump...early days.

I can charge overnight at home (and at work if i am really stuck) which helps.

It's lovely to drive, it really is. Well specced too and comfy/quiet, spacious, big boot etc. I'm happy....but i hope it lasts!

Sad to hear the news of the demise of the small/cheap car?!! Or at least...as we know them now.

Surely there will always be a need/demand for cheap/first small cars...it just may be that they will be quite different things to what they are now......hmmm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:28 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
107MC wrote:
So, in terms of monthly outgoings...they are (or should be if i've done my sums right) less than before.....

But that will change once the Government(s) switch the tax burden onto EVs.

Other factors:
1) EVs use rare earth materials that are largely sourced from China, and are extremely damaging to the environment to extract and recycle.

2) There are no plans in place to provide sufficient electricity generating capacity to charge EVs when we all switch to them. The current "plan" is to use fully charged EVs when plugged in as battery storage and discharge them to charge other EVs (a plan that has NOT been well publicised, I wonder why?).

3) Most people in inner cities cannot charge an EV at home without a cable running across the pavement - who will be the first to be sued for a injury caused?

4) Those of us living in rural areas need EVs with long ranges, which are simply too expensive for us to afford and are likely to always be beyond the reach of the average agricultural worker (so will they still use the "company tractor" as their transport as I often see at the moment?).

5) EVs still need petroleum products as lubricants for their wheel and motor bearings, door hinges, etc. So they are not free from the need for "Big Oil".

The whole plan for the move to a zero Carbon economy has received nowhere near enough thought for the impact of the average Joe and Joanne.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:58 pm 

Drives: 2011 C1 VTR+
Mrs Warwick and I looked at a Renault Zoe and were impressed by some of the features. Renault were also installing a free wall charger which made the deal even more attractive.

We were really close to signing on the dotted line when the issue of battery was raised - either a £6.6k price tag or £50+ per month rental charge. That's more than we pay in fuel for the C1 per month...

Needless to say we're still enjoying our frugal little red C1 :D

W

Euralight LED DRL