Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Nothing to do with cars
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
I left England in 2000 and from memory when l bought anything electrical it came without a
plug attached, an l correct? Has the Law changed?

Thanks BB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:47 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
I think maybe it has - because things generally come with plugs now.

I *think* the difference is the type of plugs. It used to be OK to sell something with a cable that you could attach a plug to. However, nowadays, all the plugs that you get with appliances are the type that are moulded on to the cable. So, without anything other than circumstantial evidence, I'm going to suggest that what happened was that legislation was brought in to insist on proper moulded-on plugs rather than the ones that you can make a mess of wiring if you don't know how to do it properly.

Of course, you can still get self-wire plugs and you can use them to repair damaged cables (cut off the moulded plug and replace, for example).

However, I'm sure that appliances coming with plugs was pretty common by 2000 though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:49 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
Don't think laws have changed, but as far as I know most things come with the plugs attached, to ensure it's the correct/UK plug (and many items are sealed/moulded plugs so shouldn't be removed as they are meant to not be user fitted/ modified).

I know some stores will sell appliances without plugs to make you pay for an installation charge. (For example I was looking on ao.com for potentially replacing my bedsit's built in oven. It's a single cavity so only uses a standard 13amp plug, but on a dedicated cooker circuit. Doesn't need to be hardwired (though larger/ double ovens sometimes do). That site specifically states the items are sold without plugs, and you have to pay an installation fee. But looking at the oven manufacturers (and where possible the user manual) they almost all are sold with plug attached. So AO.com make you pay to essentially reconnect a wire they've disconnected purely for the purpose of charging installation.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 am 

Google is my friend

The plugs and sockets etc (safety) regulations 1994
http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalops/o ... c489_6.htm
Quote:
7 Part II introduces a new requirement that most domestic electrical appliances which operate at a voltage of not less than 200 volts must be supplied fitted with a correctly fused and approved standard plug. As an alternative to fitting a standard plug an appliance may be fitted with a non-UK plug provided that an approved conversion plug is fitted.

Full document (I think):
https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov ... e38628.pdf

Edit:
from there
Quote:
Supply of Electrical Equipment: Specified domestic electrical equipment intended to be connected to the mains power supply via plug and socket outlet is required to be supplied fitted with a standard plug or conversion plug, see Regulation 12.

Regulation 12
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994 ... on/12/made

From
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994 ... tents/made

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:28 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
The regulation changes were made on advice from the IET Wiring Committee (which draws up the UK Wiring Regulations, which were updated in 2018 to Version 18) because surveys found that many people did not know which colours are which on the cables, and many were found connecting the earth cable to the live pin - which is potentially lethal.

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:42 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Showing your age BB, like you I remember the days when you had to remember to buy a plug whenever you bought an electrical appliance, but as said times change, for a few years some appliances had removeable plugs, but nowadays they all moulded plugs so all you can fiddle with is the fuse.

Also, remember at some point in past certain devices came with a plug and some didn't, so until you unboxed it you never knew, so if you had no spare plug, back down the shops! Good thing is my stock pile of spare plugs hasn't been touched for years cos everything comes with one nowadays!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 pm 

PetrolDave wrote:
...because surveys found that many people did not know which colours are which on the cables, and many were found connecting the earth cable to the live pin - which is potentially lethal.

The mnemonic I used to use when teaching how to wire a plug (which is a thing I used to have to do) was, with the plug open and looking at it from the back (i.e. the only way to look at it if you are wiring it)

BLue = Bottom Left pin,
BRown = Bottom Right pin
green & yellow = the only other pin

That way you don't really have to remember live, neutral or earth (though, of course, it's far better to know them too) because, let's be honest, brown just doesn't feel like live somehow. (I know why the colours were picked, but that doesn't change the lack of "liveness" that brown says.)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
Enjay wrote:
The mnemonic I used to use when teaching how to wire a plug (which is a thing I used to have to do) was, with the plug open and looking at it from the back (i.e. the only way to look at it if you are wiring it)

BLue = Bottom Left pin,
BRown = Bottom Right pin
green & yellow = the only other pin

I like that :D

I don't have a problem - as a Chartered Electrical Engineer I've been wiring up not only plugs but also installing wiring in properties (residential and commercial) for over 40 years, using both the old and new colour schemes (and mixed old & new in many properties).

Sadly missed - 2006 Audi RS4 Avant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:36 pm 

I guessed from your earlier comment and knowledge on the subject that you were probably comfortable with the colours. :)

I had to teach and assess plug wiring with teenagers so the mnemonic came in handy but even I do a little silent mental double check of "bottom left, bottom right" when wiring a plug (not that I have to do it too often these days).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
With the Earth sticking up you can't plug it in wrong. Germany and America have only 2 wires. All are moulded plugs. You can switch it either way around. I brought a, AA-AAA battery charger from a firm called Wish.com. I ordered an EU plug but it came with 2 straight flat pins for America. I made a complaint and took photos as normal and of the label. And they refunded my Money €16,00. It so happens that I had in my stash an adapter so l cut the plug off and away l went. Happy Days.