Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC). - New users not working currently, New users please use 'City Bug Club' Facebook instead

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: cheap tyres
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:08 am 

Drives: Aygo+
I just got some hankook kinergy tyres after reading sine reviews. I've noticed an improvement over the conti's already. Better in wet and dry so far. They cost less too. But to be honest, 155/65 r14's are cheap anyway in comparison to my last car! Would have cost me more than double for a decent tyre.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:18 am 

Drives: C1
i rang my local tyre fitters the other day who told me £10 each tyre for fitting, balance & disposal if i brought in my own new tyres.....so is it actually cost effective to buy them on line yourself i wonder????

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:14 am 

Drives: The king of bugs
From memory black circles charge less per tyre fitted. We have a fleet of vans at work so the garage that looks after them will fit tyres for staff for free usually.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:50 am 

Drives: 107 Urban Lite
You can nominate a local approved Black Circles dealer, and it works out very cheap. OK, it's a bit of a fiddly pain making appointments online etc rather than simply pitching up when you feel like it, but the money saved can be significant.

I do wonder if some of our members are buying theyre tyres at Harrods - a full set of yummy Yokos from Black Circles chimes in with change from £230 for for tyres.

The issue with tyres is that Euro dtandards are verry slack - if it's black, round, has 8mm of tread and doesn't explode on the first outing it's pretty much met the European standard. There is no performance standard relating to stopping distances etc.

However, that may change... expect to see in the next few years Euro regs making all tyres needing a date code, and any tyre over 5 or 6 years being instantly illegal, regardless of the wear. In the wake of that we're likely to see performance oriented regs for new tryes, which will essentially outlaw these Far eastern tyres based on 30 or 40 year old designs.

Finally, I don't care if I could by nang tang Woo chung Jung Fus for £40 each - that's still only a £60 saving over a full set of quality tyres, they're unlikely to alst as long, they definitely will not performa as well, and TBH my excess is more than the £60 saved, and my life is worth infinitely more than that. If I can't afford to run and maintain a car to a high standard, I simply wouldn't run it at all. Old pilots, and bold pilots - that saying is written in the blood of the tight-fisted.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:55 am 

Drives: C1
that £10 a corner was at a black circle approved fitting centre!!!! however if they supply the tyres its £50 continentals fitted, £60 michelins fitted....which means i won't be buying anything on line as theres nothing out there of quality for under £40 delivered to beat the conti price i've been given

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:36 pm 

Drives: 107 Urban Lite
And whats this charge for tyre disposal bollarks? The firms that collect them either scrap them for the steel, or ship them to the far east for turnign into remoulds for markets where they don't care. They pay the garage to take them away. not a lot I grant you, but the garage don't pay them!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:39 pm 

Drives: 2007/57 Smart Fortwo
I have some Chinese tyres fitted to my Smart and they weren't cheap. Granted my Smart has 15" Rims as standard which means that tyres are more expensive then the 14" ones fitted as standard to the bugs.

I suspected I had a slow puncture as I lost 4 PSI in two weeks on one of my tyres so I took it to a tyre fitter to have a look at it and they called me within 20 minutes with the bad news that my tyres were 10 years old and cracked around the edges therefore needed replacing.

I knew the tread depth was ok because they all still had 5mm but never looked for any cracks. Anyway this caught me off guard somewhat so I asked if they had any Continentals. His reply was they had some good mid range tyres made by Firestone and with a 20% discount would come to a certain amount, I can't remember exactly what that amount was.

Anyway when it came to pick up the car I instantly noticed they had fitted 145/65/15 to the front instead of the standard 155/60/15 but never checked the brand. It came to £ 295.89 for the four tyres including fitting which I paid.

When I got home I checked the tyres to see what brand they were and the rears were Jinyu Gallopro YH18 in the stock 175/55/15 size and the fronts were Sailun Atrezzo Eco in non standard 145/65/15.

My hope at that point was that the tyres were quite good and that is why they chose to fit them and it was not totally profit motivated. I've now driven 1148 miles on them and haven't noticed any difference between them and the OE Continentals but then I wouldn't know what to look for.

It hasn't had any affect on my fuel economy and they seem to be wearing well. Most people would say not to skimp on tyres but I paid a lot for these and had no intention of skimping as I thought I was getting mid range Firestones.

I suppose I could have complained but I didn't want to make a fuss, I believe the Jinyu and Sailun brands are regarded as economy and some Chinese brands are better than others. I guess the tyre fitter would know a lot more about brands then me so maybe they are not so bad as all that.

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
Luggage Compartment Cover
Softouch Automatic Gear Programme
Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:07 am 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
The real test will be in wet weather, that's when some budget brand tyres reveal their lack of grip - but you may be OK. It sounds like the fitter believes that Firestone own both brands that they fitted to your Smart - but that's something I would check online, if they don't then he misrepresented them to you. But if you're happy with them maybe you won't want to bother?

Personally I always read independent tyre tests and insist on one of a shortlist of brands/models of tyre that I have chosen. But then I do tend to drive "enthusiastically" :D

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance estate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:13 pm 

Drives: 2007/57 Smart Fortwo
I know that local bricks and mortar garages aren't going to be able to compete with Internet prices like these...

Which are £ 116.88 ex VAT for the set of 4 tyres I have, on top of which you must add 5% GST and the delivery costs as there is no way an Internet company would deliver these tyres for free to Jersey.

So you get to £ 122.72 inc 5% GST and add an extra £ 40 for delivery it becomes £ 162.72 inc 5% GST. Add on fitting costs of around £ 47.95 inc 5% GST and you're at £ 210.67 inc 5% GST. That's still £ 85.22 cheaper then what I paid...

Never mind at least I don't have to pay UK VAT @ 20% on most things I buy off the Internet.

Smart Radio 9
Panoramic Sunroof
Luggage Compartment Cover
Softouch Automatic Gear Programme
Bodypanels & Tridion Cell in Silver Metallic
15" Alloy Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:38 pm 

Drives: 2008 Citroen C1 Code
nlel wrote:
That's still £85.22 cheaper then what I paid...

Sounds like you were ripped off to me...

2015 Skoda Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance estate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next