Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:36 pm 

Drives: C1 1.0 VTR+ '13
Hello everyone!

Despite being registered with little participation to this great forum, I do make a great read out of some very helpful threads. That in fact, I came here to leave another footprint. Another one for the little pug that keeps on giving.

To support my previous topic related to the fuel consumption, I did ~80mpg over 30 litres on 95 RON fuel, on a trip to Portugal. This measurement was simply made over the amount fuel in the tank. Briefly, this was possible by going no more than 60mph with a lot of drafting, mostly behind lorries with no more than 5 cars distance. No special tricks in a straight line but to accommodate efficiency when it fits.

I've purchased an OBD2 reader and TORQUE full version to understand better the car's behavior. After couple refinements, I was able to squeeze 71mpg on 30 litres of fuel, on Extra Urban conditions, without affecting traffic flow. Mind you, I only use Tesco's 99 RON in every tank when driving domestically.

My car has currently 40k and it's due for a service. The former service was made in "Halfrauds", being the last in Kwiksh*t -where they tried to pocket me 350£ for brake disks and pads! This is here for the world to see, embarrassing business! Anyway.

The car is still doing impressive economy despite being due. So my research is, how the car will behave after serviced with my own parts selection. I'll be doing my service since I have all the tools I need.

I did a short test for speed as another reference, with TORQUE. These are the numbers:
Driven, carrying two adults and full tank.
0-60mph - 16.18sec
1/8 mile - 12.78sec
1/4 mile - 21.27sec

I do hope these numbers are satisfactory in "real conditions". Also being driven with an extra 10 inches on the gear stick... finding gears quickly need to be done carefully as the weight dropped considerably, even with a snooker ball fitted. I could find a scientific reason behind that, but it does makes driving more enjoyable! :D

I will be using the following parts:
Oil - Castrol Magnatec 5W-30
Oil Filter - Blueprint
Air Filter - Pipercross panel
Spark Plugs - Denso Iridium

After the service done, I will do a couple runs under the same conditions stated above, exactly.

I expect a significant response from the engine, thus achieving quicker times and improving my average MPG. Also, judging by the information around about Pipercross's panel, I expect the air filtration to improve in that matter.

The engine response here will be the most significant aspect to improve average MPG. I use different driving techniques that allow the car glide under the right conditions. My hypothesis is, if the car is able to accelerate quicker with less effort, it will spend less time accelerating to get to the perfecting gliding point.

The service is expected to start early tomorrow, and a convenient trip to Luton to help the car acclimate to the parts. Then later, if I have the energy, I'll do the time runs. A 30 liter fuel economy test may happen between this week and the next.

Any queries are welcome!

RECORD MPG: 81 (01/04/2017)
FUEL: TACOS 99'
On Cooking Gas
RECORD MPG: 55 (03/08/2019)
FUEL: NATURAL +110'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:20 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
Which particular 5w30 magnatec, some aren't the right spec

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:24 pm 

Roc wrote:
Which particular 5w30 magnatec, some aren't the right spec

C2 Spec.

On Cooking Gas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
C3 is generally what most of us use over C2, but at least it's not an A spec oil.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:40 pm 

Roc wrote:
C3 is generally what most of us use over C2, but at least it's not an A spec oil.

Thanks for following up.

I've chosen the C2 for the middle ground for fuel economy and green house gases (MOT purposes really), while keeping lower viscosity -but not too low. I understand the C3 has better wear protection, but it's more viscous.

On Cooking Gas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
I've bought an OBDII scanner too with Torque, but the values won't update...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:34 pm 

Service has been done. Not surprised, the oil looked like stuff from nightmare, almost pitch black.

The spark plugs looked ok for 10k, but they did looked bit dirty around the threads. I rubbed a tiny bit of new oil over the new spark plugs threads. The air filter was also ok, good for probably another 3k. Kept it aside.

Sadly, the Luton run has been cancelled but, I will be going for a lovely park to relax, that is about 40 minutes from here. Hopefully it'll be more than enough to acclimate.

Just did a final oil top up, the needle had about 1/4. I'll make sure to check it again before leaving the park. I've used aprox. 3.1 liters so far.

We'll see how it behaves in this trip.

NoscopeDog wrote:
I've bought an OBDII scanner too with Torque, but the values won't update...

What scanner did you bought? Might be faulty, or... you didn't connect the bluetooth to the phone?

On Cooking Gas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:07 am 

Did the small trip yesterday and I could tell some significant changes in the cars behavior. I might do a run test later today to see how quick the car has really gotten.

The trip was about 36 miles from where I live, running 70%-ish on motorways. On the way there, the traffic was moderate -just the beginning of rush hour. Arrived and parked scratching the 69mpg.
On the way back, well, I caught some heavy traffic on the M6 (as usual). I tried to keep the stops manageable to stay on good figures. With that, got hungry and made detour to a kebab shop, hitting my fuel figures. Added to the fact I live in a town centre, didn't help much. Parked the car with 61mpg on the dash. All of this was done with two adults in the car.

The car felt significantly more responsive and more stable at lower RPM's. It wasn't like it got another couple horsepower on top like some people are led to believe, but the power distribution was smooth and effective. Could tell the engine was slicing through RPM's very nicely, specially from the lower range. This normally happens when you have a fresh service, the car runs with white teeth.

This common behavior after a service led me to think about the air filter. Is a Pipercross panel filter worth it? What about the spark plugs?

Some questions and answers are sprayed all over the forum about these components alone, and it is definitively obvious they are worth its longevity (technically), where you pocket your money on not swapping them every needed interval -if they are able to keep the same efficiency every properly done service.

The spark plugs are definitely worth to buy and keep if they last the future of the car. I've had an affair with some NGK platinum spark plugs years ago with my motorcycles and I got to tell you, they sucked. Came back running to the standard ones. I want to keep a good faith on these.

The air filter on the other hand has led me to think. It's a performance air filter. Now, I do hit the gas hard one time or another, day dreaming that I'm driving a Porsche (3 potter hummer). In the end of the day it's a Citroen C1 and not a high end performance car or a track day car. Is there actually a difference in numbers on Citroen C1 between a standard panel and a Pipercross? Perhaps with some decent engine mods? Maybe yes. On a daily driver, don't think so.

Why I hit the air filter so hard? Well, I did not like the final finish of the filter, looked like if I clean it, it will start to fall apart, plus, the panel cost me just under 24 pounds. Compared to a standard filter, I can get one for less than 6 for every service. So I need to do a 5th service to start pay it off.
The good side of it, I intend to keep the car for years to come, hopefully to see that filter in far future still in use. For those who change cars quite often, it's not a good deal. Obvious.

This is just a reminder for the Boy Racer wannabes not to spend money on things that doesn't matter, even if they look cool. Spend that money on something useful. Been there, done it. :!:

More to come. I will keep updated, specially about the running numbers.

On Cooking Gas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 pm 

Drives: Citroen C1 1.0 2011
AlreadywonB4 wrote:
...Spend that money on something useful. .

Yeah.... on beer! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:22 pm 

Drives: 2007 C1
Wow, some impressive numbers there. But one sunny day doesn't make a summer.
Now brim your tank and see what real world numbers you can get. You won't get 600 miles. Nobody to my knowledge ever has. But if you are efficient you should hit 550. My best ever (long,long time ago) is 538 before I chickened out. Now come join the 500 mile per tank club! :)

As for parts. Now my car is of an age where it burns oil, it's all about little and often. It gets a spring service (before MOT) of oil (Shell HX8 5W40 this year) Mann filter (always used them) and a set of KH20TT plugs (£6.19).
Then in autumn just oil and filter. It also burns through a litre of oil about every 2-2.5k miles. As the plugs get oily (mainly cylinder 1) buying cheaper ones makes sense. At just over £6 a set it's cheap and easy too.
I also have a pipercross filter too. Been in the car about 120k miles. The foam is holding up fine but the rubber is cracking a little round the edge but holding up well.

Nowadays it's not about being efficient, it does that by its own nature. I go as fast as everybody else, have hit the rev limiter more time than I care to admit and enjoy it on country roads (apart from the speeding ticket, 94MPH without even trying). But equally like when I'm going to work it will give me 55+mpg without any effort.