Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dash Speaker Upgrades
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:12 pm 

Drives: Citreon C1 2006
Hi, I'm new to the City Bug Club, :wave:
I have a Citroen C1 2006 standard for wheels and I love it! It's in perfect condition, low mileage and I look after him (Clyde) lol. More recently I've been wondering about the standard dash speakers and how awful they are for sound. I'm thinking of upgrading however this is where you lovely lot come in...would anybody be able to tell me if I can easily swap out the standard speakers for something better without having to take it to a garage? If so, what speakers would you recommend? Are they easy to install? Looking forward to any helpful information so thank you in advance! :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:00 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
It's dead easy

www.citybugstore.co.uk have some excellent kits that are proven and bought by loads of members.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:04 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Hello and welcome :wave:

Don't know what your level of experiance is, but for the dash speakers although easy to fit, there are couple things to beware of firstly they use different connectors at speaker end, handily there are adapters to convert dash wiring to the 'common' speaker terminals and also although a lot of speakers do fit perfectly, some may be too tall or peeps have had to trim the cover grills so they seat properly.

So to be fair if you really want plug n play, the club shop kits (front speakers and wiring adapters) should cover all the bases, where as not sure our dear friends 'Halfrauds' etc will be aware of the issues, or will happily charge you to fit 'correct' speakers when you get home and find ones they sold you don't for whatever reason or even worse they may butcher the dash wiring when no need to!
The speakers held in by 2 screws/bolts, so if you see speakers with 4 'tangs' don't be worried, just snap off the 2 tangs you don't need and speakers will fit using just 2 tangs.

Another bonus of using the adapters, keep your original speakers and if you change the car in future just swap originals back in and put your decent speakers in your next/another car.

Last edited by Steve107 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:23 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
And if you're up for a slightly bigger challenge (though still not too difficult if you are happy with car wiring), it's possible to upgrade the standard head unit in the car by adding wires necessary for rear speakers and then fitting some speakers into the parcel shelf (or elsewhere I guess).

The standard head unit can drive the speakers just fine. All it is missing is the wiring: a fairly easy thing to rectify with an adaptor from Halfords (other car parts retailers are available) and running the wires to the rear of the car. The method has been described on these forums a few times if you are interested in doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:38 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
Enjay wrote:
And if you're up for a slightly bigger challenge (though still not too difficult if you are happy with car wiring), it's possible to upgrade the standard head unit in the car by adding wires necessary for rear speakers and then fitting some speakers into the parcel shelf (or elsewhere I guess).

The standard head unit can drive the speakers just fine. All it is missing is the wiring: a fairly easy thing to rectify with an adaptor from Halfords (other car parts retailers are available) and running the wires to the rear of the car. The method has been described on these forums a few times if you are interested in doing it.

Do rear speakers in the parcel shelf make a difference for the driver?
Also, how is this the case with the BT radio with quad lock connector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:52 pm 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
Not sure about the BT unit. They are much rarer and I'm not sure if anyone has done a similar upgrade (or if it's even possible).

Extra speakers in the rear give a much fuller sound and, because they are usually larger than the 4" dash speakers, will usually have better bass response too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:10 pm 

Drives: PEUGEOT 107
Agree with Enjay, we got 2008 107 so wiring rear speakers was very easy, I upgraded front speakers and fitted rear speakers at same time, I fitted 13cm rear speakers to standard parcel shelf as didn't want overload it, ran these from standard headunit happily for 6 years and was a big improvement. Not familiar with quadlock connector, but sure it can be done, although one problem is didn't the newer BT quadlock units need the rear speaker option turned on by manufacturer/dealer?, crafty so n so's.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:40 pm 

Drives: Citreon C1 2006
Thank you guys for all your information, I'm an absolute novice when it comes to cars...give me a computer to fix any day! Lol. So I think I'm just going to start with replacing the front dash speakers with the ones on the club site
https://citybugstore.co.uk/best-sellers ... grade.html
And hope I carry it off okay! Door speakers and maybe parcel shelf speakers installation, I'll do in the future with the help from my brother.

If there are any members here who have brought these speakers as mentioned above, I'd love your feed back? There were only a hand full of reviews on the actual item so would be good to hear more.

Thanks again for your help guys. I think this site is well worth being a part of.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:30 pm 

Drives: C1 Vibe 5dr 1.0 2008
The high spec speaker kit from the CityBug Store are very good - mid-range and tweeters combined. I fitted them in the dash and put a sub-woofer under the front passenger seat. The results are very good - wouldn't bother with door speakers or parcel shelf speakers. You'd use the rear speaker feed for a sub-woofer, so you'd need that facility. I'd put a Pioneer DAB HU in, so you are better taking guidance from the posts above about what you can do with the standard HU.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:45 pm 

Drives: Peugeot 107 Envy '13
Steve107 wrote:
Not familiar with quadlock connector, but sure it can be done, although one problem is didn't the newer BT quadlock units need the rear speaker option turned on by manufacturer/dealer?, crafty so n so's.

Read something like that too... Sucks if they don't want to do it for free (huge chance because dealers always fuck you). Maybe another headunit from the start is a better idea.