Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Foot Pump
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:56 pm 

Drives: 2019 Smart Fortwo
I've googled and found this...

https://uk.bestreviews.guide/tire-pressure-gauges

From the reviews on Amazon it looks a good one.

6-Speed Dual Clutch Automatic
Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:39 pm 

The reason I went for the Sakura Tyre Service Kit SS5144 is because it came second in Auto Express's Best tyre pressure and tread depth gauges for 2019.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/85474/best-tyre-pressure-and-tread-depth-gauges-2019

They "tested the pressure element against a calibrated gauge at 20 and 30psi on a 15-inch car tyre."

My current one the Ring RTG4 Digital Keyring Gauge came first in their 2018 pressure gauge tests...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/36242/best-digital-tyre-pressure-gauge-2018

The Ring RTG6 similar to my RTG4 but with a tread depth gauge came sixth in the 2019 tests mainly because it was let down by the tread depth gauge.

Now all I've got to go on is what Auto Express says and I can find no other site to corroborate their findings but its a minefield out there so hard to know what to go for. All I know is after trying out a Draper analogue pressure gauge I wanted another digital one.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:27 pm 

Received my new Sakura Tyre Service Kit SS5144 in the post this afternoon. I immediately went down to check my tyre pressures with the new gauge and compared it to my older one the Ring RTG4.

Checked the rear right first with the RTG4 and it said 35 PSI checked with the Sakura and it said 35.5 PSI then checked the front right with RTG4 and it said 28 PSI and so did the Sakura.

After that I didn't bother comparing them anymore and just went round every corner until I had 36 PSI in the rears and 29 PSI in the fronts according to the Sakura.

One thing I will say is that getting a reading on the Sakura is 10 times easier than with the RTG4 and I would highly recommend it.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:42 pm 

nlel wrote:

One thing I will say is that getting a reading on the Sakura is 10 times easier than with the RTG4 and I would highly recommend it.

Spoke too soon. Went down today to check my tyre pressures again as I was looking forward to it because last time it was so easy. This time I found it much harder to get a reading off each valve. There is definitely a technique to it.

I got there in the end 36 PSI rear 29 PSI front and this gauge was tested by Auto Express against a calibrated gauge and found to be pretty accurate.

I’ll probably do it again in a few days to practice and get my confidence back up.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:06 pm 

Did my tyre pressures today and found it easier to get a reading on my new pressure gauge this time. The trick is to push it onto the valve firmly so as not to lose any pressure whilst doing so.

Its definitely easier than it was with my old one, I put a small amount into the rears which were 35.5 PSI bringing them up to 36 PSI and the fronts were still 29 PSI from last time.

Of course its only as accurate as the gauge but that's all I've got to go on and they should be within 1 PSI which is close enough.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:14 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
Sitting here l was thinking how can this post about foot pumps go on for so long.
Funny world. Luckily I use her son's pump, linked to a large compressor. Do the Petrol stations there have air available here we do. Portable things that you hold on to the tyre connector and press the + or - button. Most are rubbish. I have never been able to get them. Although they TUV approved most are very poorly maintained.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:39 pm 

I’ve never even attempted to inflate my tyres at a fuel station but I’m sure you can. I’ve got my own method with parts I’ve bought fairly cheap to do a good enough job.

I’m on my third foot pump after having a Draper which lasted four years, then a Michelin which lasted ten months and back to another Draper. The first Draper was £ 10.31 the Michelin £ 36.85 and the second Draper £ 14.31.

I’ve also bought two digital pressure gauges the first one bought in July 2014 which cost £ 4.95 which still works and the second one was £ 5.22.

So in total I’ve spent £ 71.64 since July 2014 on tyre pressure gauges and pumps. Well worth it in my opinion.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:45 pm 

Drives: `66 Reggae Rhythm
Whatever makes you happy I guess and also has the benefit of keeping you and other road users safe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:23 pm 

brixtonboy wrote:
Whatever makes you happy I guess and also has the benefit of keeping you and other road users safe.

Yeah I feel a tremendous amount of satisfaction doing it.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm 

Doing tyre pressures is a piece of piss right! Any fool can do it, yeah? Well I went to do my tyre pressures today exactly two weeks since I last checked them as per the schedule recommended in the handbook.

I find my tyre pressure gauge reads something like 24.5 PSI when it’s supposed to be 29 PSI. After another attempt at getting a reading I get something closer to what I would expect and I topped it up a bit.

I managed to get all tyres to read the expected values on the pressure gauge before leaving it so I guess the cause of the incorrect lower reading was something to do with the pressure gauges connection to the tyre valve.

I’ve never come across this problem before just another thing which can mess up your day.

Before anybody asks, no I don’t think I’ve got a slow puncture it was something to do with the gauges connection to the valve. Just to make sure I’ll check them again at the weekend.

Rear Parking Sensors
White with 15” Alloys

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next