Citroen C1, Peugeot 107, 108 & Toyota Aygo Owners Club. (Discount code for CityBugStore: C1OC)

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 pm 

Drives: 2013 citroen c1 vtr
Hi everyone,
So I've got a problem that has risen this past week.
The oil light and stop light has been coming on when ive been going around corners and breaking hard. Ive been trying to wrap my head around this for the past couple of days, and now starting to get a little worried, engine isn't sounding particularly great and I've also been noticing rattling coming from it too.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:08 pm 

Drives: 14 Plate Peugeot 107
Can't say I'm up to speed with issues (since thankfully not had any with my pug so far). But first thing I'd say is check all fluid levels, especially oil and coolant. If it's only going round corners and hard braking bringing up the lights it may be low levels that the momentum is then having levels dip below any sensors? Also check wiring connections in case there are any loose ones that again may be set off by momentum/ forces when turning. Oil and stop lights together I think is for overtemping (caused by low oil), since we don't have temp gauges on our bugs.

Combining with engine rattling, low oil level is normally first cause of this (from some google searching) I think.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:26 pm 

Drives: 2006 C1
Must agree with the previous poster, some rattling is normal until the engine is warm.
You probably know that, is the oil and filter do for changing? If not check it out.
Check underneath for any leaks etc. After Winter, before you clean of the salt and muck from under there.

And remember to come back and tell us what you find out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:02 pm 

Drives: 2007 C1
As above its low on oil. Exactly the same thing happened to me the first time it started burning oil. Over 50k later still running ok. Check your oil level now before it's too late.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:28 pm 

Drives: 107 Urban '09
Make sure to check under your car for oil leaks. You've either got a leak (which you'll be able to tell quite quickly) or your car is just burning oil excessively, which does happen.

Have you serviced or had the car serviced recently? It could be that the sump or plug has stripped and isn't forming a perfect seal, resulting in a slow leak. I've had that problem before.

Definitely don't drive the car until you've checked the oil level and topped it up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:42 am 

Drives: CHR and Aygo
Check your oillevel on the dipstick and the brakefluid reservoir maybe they both are to LOW

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:30 am 
Area Rep

Drives: Citroën C1
Don’t believe google mechanics! You’ll end up chasing your arse for no reason.

Oil level low, I have had this before, a good service and maintainence schedule will iron out a lot of issues

Check for external leaks, if none then burning oil

Burning oil, service correctly and watch oil level over the next 1000 miles or so,

If burning excessively, investigate further, valve stem seals/scraper rings/head gasket

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 am 

Drives: C1 2012; 107 2009
A +1 for oil level. "back in the day" oil lights coming on when going round corners/braking was not unusual in the bangers me and my mates had as first cars. It was always an early indicator of low oil. My mate's 850 mini did it all the time unless the oil was right to the max level of the dipstick.

Advice: I agree with everything that wee mac said.

Googling car symptoms can be similar to googling medical symptoms: you'll find you have everything from housemaid's knee to AIDS when all you actually have is an allergy to next door's cat. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm 
Club Founder

Drives: Was C1 1.0 2005
https://citybugstore.co.uk/best-sellers ... 05-13.html

Buy this, job done.

The NEW improved CityBugStore! - For all your C1, 107, 108 and Aygo needs. Support the club! Club Members Discount, enter code C1OC at checkout

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:02 pm 

Drives: 2013 citroen c1 vtr
Hi guys, thanks for the advice, it's due a service and I have the oil filter and oil ready to change, it is due for a service, coolant is already topped up, just got to change the oil, the oil level is fine but will change it just in case.

I was thinking it might be a sensor or something.

Will keep you all updated